34 replies to this topic

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Did you clean the underside of your car with a tooth brush?

The break is usually caused by a bump crash or just plain hard impact from behind.  The diff housing is scored there to shear.  Have a shop weld it up and you are good to go to the next race. 

Just for my clarification, is it legal to weld/add reinforcement to these? 

Schabi....it is my guess the owner of this site will ship a new(used) carrier right to your door!!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

Since we're talking about diffs, let me post a picture what happened to mine the first time I went racing.  This is not the best pic, but you can see the diff arm broke in half.  I have to read on the diffs, because I have no idea what caused this.  The bolt that holds the diff from the bottom of the diff through the long membrame did come out,  and I missed few gears, but I'm not sure if that would cause this. 

The only good news is it happened after the checkered flag and I was able to roll down to the garage. 

diff.jpg

This is a smooth case 1.6 housing, for the effort you obviously put into the build, why not upgrade to a Torsen???

The type of breakage is most often caused by crash drafting or hard rear corner inpacts. But if a bolt fell out anything can happen.

Why is there a non-factory fitting on the diff housing? Nothing except the factory vent is allowed

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

This is a smooth case 1.6 housing, for the effort you obviously put into the build, why not upgrade to a Torsen???

The type of breakage is most often caused by crash drafting or hard rear corner inpacts. But if a bolt fell out anything can happen.

Why is there a non-factory fitting on the diff housing? Nothing except the factory vent is allowed

Dave

That particular fitting is used to run a hose up into the trunk which allows you to run additional fluid in the diff, thus keeping it a little cooler....

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

That particular fitting is used to run a hose up into the trunk which allows you to run additional fluid in the diff, thus keeping it a little cooler....

I really do know what the fitting is for. I also know it is not legal.

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

George Munson

George Munson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:27
Main question is it legal to brace the diff housing to prevent breakage on impact?

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

I got nailed during a 3hr enduro and busted a Torsen case, got it fixed.

I run a lot of enduros and get run into often, I want this insurance...  But I'm not sure if it's 100% SM legal but it's not gonna break again.

Personally, I don't see this sort of bracing as providing an advantage as the diff case probably doesn't flex, that's what the bushings allow.

946807_10201309007794203_1902751799_n.jp

935699_10201309007834204_18553771_n.jpg

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

As long as the ruel book allows this ^ your golden. If not your, you can figure out the rest.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Probly not legal but should be made legal...

Puzzy protest imo

K. Webb