Jim Daniels - FIG

Jim Daniels - FIG

Site Founder

• Administrators
  • 274 posts
  • Region:Mid-South
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:Any
My build guide has turned into a massive blog project that I will start after the holiday. I will blog about everything it takes to go racing in a SM from setup to strategy and of course the magic prep, what's left of it.

Until then I have a question. Is your pro motor from xyz company the exact same hard parts and machine work as the same companies version that won the Runoffs, Sprints, NASA etc?

The answer is a resounding NO!

The question is why, right? Simple, until you pass through the light to the other side, the light being a full technical tear down at the Runoffs, you are not aware of what actually you can get through. Those that have been there know what can be done to the motor over and above the cookie cutter version you have. Presto, your pro motor is not the same as a select few others who have more experience than you.

Want to test this theory? Just offer to buy any Runoffs winner's motor, tech shed to your trailer, paying the retail price his/her motor builder quotes. Go ahead and offer to replace their intake to tail pipe with new Mazda parts while you are at it, you will want those parts as well. When you get no takers or when they want 25k for the motor, ponder why.

I will blog about this and hopefully help the rest catch the few albeit there is still no hope for you 1.6 types. ;)

Attached Files

• dstevens likes this

"Never Stop Challenging"

Jim Daniels

Auto Sports Consulting / Coaching

My cup runneth over - Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champ Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda  - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Competitor - Grand-Am Competitor in a Mazda  (can be GT, and ST)

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I"m sure there is some truth to that.. But in my case, the engines are the same, but the one I have in the car at the Runoffs is usually the best of two or three heads etc that I have tried. Perfect example was this year. The engine I lost in STU qualifying was three better than I raced in the Runoffs. It wasnt the plan, but that was high and low range of the spread. I would have gladly sold that one. :unsure:
the moral of the story... If your spare isnt as good as your primary, You don't have a spare! :angry:

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
What JD is talking about is pretty common in other forms of racing even hobbyist classes or karting. Some even go as far seal them and go with you to tech and not allow you to open so they do it. There are some that require you to pit with them for the services. Even then it depends on who you are and how much you have to spend and if you are going to be competitive with the works drivers in the same class.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users