Hoosiers-Run Groups-CSM-Etc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

Hello Everyone,

There has been a lot of discussion lately on several very heated topics that I want to address.  After lengthy discussions with Andrew Foley, Bruce and Jim Weidenbaum several things have been discussed and while I am not the voice for SCCA, Conference or NASA I am involved with future directional discussions and have a very good idea what is going on.

Whether its SCCA, NASA or Conference in the NW we are all after the same objective which is to make sure we get the most fun per dollar spent, increase entries in the respective clubs and to have safe, friendly and competitive races.

1. Bringing Back CSM - SCCA is NOT and will NOT be bringing back CSM. It was killed for a reason and will not be coming back.

2. SM Mixed Run Group - SCCA will NOT be mixing SpecMiata with any other run groups.  If running in a mixed run group is your desire we have several options for you to accomplish this on ANY tire you wish.

3. Open Tire - SCCA Will NOT be opening up tires for the 13 season and will more than likely not be opening up tires for 14 unless there is a huge change of mindset.  We are running in a Spec(ish) class with a Spec tire.  If you would like to run any tire you wish, this is very easy to accomplish.  In SCCA, ICSCC or NASA land you can run IT, ST or PT and run any tire you want.  Simply changing the stickers on your car will allow you to still be on track with the SM cars in ICSCC and NASA and be on the tire of your choice.  In SCCA land you can run IT and get a mixed run group and the tire of your choice.

There has been a lot of false information about the speed and longevity of the Hoosier Tire relative to the Toyo.  Please do your own testing and don't believe everything you read on the internet.  I believe (unless it was broken last weekend) that I still hold the STL track record at Portland with a 31.7 with 20 heat cycle Hoosier's.  Cycling a new set of tires is critical.  Rotating, flipping, setup and pressures are all important as well.  Hooseirs don't need to be shaved, the Toyo RA1 and RR do need to be shaved.  My experience is that the expense versus life is about equal for all of the tires in play.   If you just bolt on a set of Hoosiers and don't cycle, flip or rotate then yes, they will wear out sooner than the Toyo, but with proper care you can make them last.

My conversations with several Conference people do not support the claims of people wanting off of the Hoosier.

Bill B, you have been very vocal about this and I feel like you have made it abundantly clear that all you want to do is to run the Ridge with SCCA/NASA and Conference and do it all on the same tire.  I am not sure how opening up the tires is good for the class, but I can certainly see how it is good for your program.  Please consider the entire class and not just your program when pushing your open tire agenda.  Why don't you just change the stickers on your car in Conference and run your car as FIP?  You would be in the same run group and you could run your tire of choice.

Open tires are more expensive for the racer period.  If tires get opened up then you will find that some tracks will like different tires.  Remember we are not just talking about just Hooseir and Toyo.  There is BFG, Kumho and Hankook as well.  Ask the N Cal guys about the Hankooks.

On one spec tire you will find that some of the front runners (who want to only run on new fresh tires) will sell their take off tires for a fraction of the price of a set of new tires with lots of life left.  In an open tire scenario expenses will go up dramatically because of the need for testing on each individual tire to determine the best tire for each individual track.  Take off's will go away....  Also in an open tire scenario the front runners will be able to get tire sponsorship and therefore be receiving tires at a reduced rate, or for free.  Can anyone compete with a tire sponsored driver?  Yes, but it is going to drive costs up for non sponsored drivers significantly.

So.... Enough bitching.  Here is the Fix:

MiataCage has donated 2 sets Team Dynamics Pro Race 2 wheels which WIll Schrader will manage and equip them as rentals with either Toyo RR's or Hoosiers.  Anyone saying they are not going to show up to a specific regions event weekend because of tires no longer can use that excuse.  Will is going to manage the Team MiataCage take off tires and we will make it simple for anyone who wants to rent some tires (already mounted and balanced on wheels)  for a specific weekend.  We have not finalized the price yet, but rest assured this is not about making money but about being inclusive for anyone who wants to race.  I can promise you the rental rate will be cheaper than what it would be for you to buy your own tires and wheels and manage the flipping mounting/dis-mounting etc.

Contact Will and he will manage the process. 

Flame away.......

Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

Kyle Freiheit

Kyle Freiheit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:8

Sean,

Not sure why you thought it was a heated debate, I thought it was a bunch of guys spitballing in attempt to keep entries up. Seems as though everyone has that in mind, yourself included. We are in a unique situation in the Northwest now with car counts being just ok and 3 sanctioning bodies trying to attract racers. I know that with my limited time and schedule I will be choosing where I run based on the tires in my garage(hoosier). The tire rental program could definitely bring guys like me out. Great idea.

Kyle

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Hello Everyone,

Whether its SCCA, NASA or Conference in the NW we are all after the same objective which is to make sure we get the most fun per dollar spent, increase entries in the respective clubs and to have safe, friendly and competitive races.

3. Open Tire - SCCA Will NOT be opening up tires for the 13 season and will more than likely not be opening up tires for 14 unless there is a huge change of mindset.  We are running in a Spec(ish) class with a Spec tire.  If you would like to run any tire you wish, this is very easy to accomplish.  In SCCA, ICSCC or NASA land you can run IT, ST or PT and run any tire you want.  Simply changing the stickers on your car will allow you to still be on track with the SM cars in ICSCC and NASA and be on the tire of your choice.  In SCCA land you can run IT and get a mixed run group and the tire of your choice.

Bill B, you have been very vocal about this and I feel like you have made it abundantly clear that all you want to do is to run the Ridge with SCCA/NASA and Conference and do it all on the same tire.  I am not sure how opening up the tires is good for the class, but I can certainly see how it is good for your program.  Please consider the entire class and not just your program when pushing your open tire agenda.  Why don't you just change the stickers on your car in Conference and run your car as FIP?  You would be in the same run group and you could run your tire of choice.

Flame away.......

With #3 and Bill....

No trying to degrade the class here.

Is there really a problem (or anything to stop you) with running whatever tire and getting DQ'd after the race if found not running the spec class tire?

Assuming they're checking.

This falls under, No $, Don't care about points, want to run that track with only SM and my friends.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

colin.koehler

colin.koehler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Is there really a problem (or anything to stop you) with running whatever tire and getting DQ'd after the race if found not running the spec class tire?

Assuming they're checking.

This falls under, No $, Don't care about points, want to run that track with only SM and my friends.

J~

If another driver pointed it out to a Steward before the race the Steward could possibly stop you from gridding up.  It would be a shitty thing to do to a fellow driver, but at the same time that fellow driver is knowingly on the wrong tires and has the responsibility of being compliant with the rules.  

This tire rental program has to be one of the best things I've seen racers do for each other in a very long time and think it's an outstanding olive branch to be more inclusive to folks from out of town or from a different sanctioning body. 

Be careful renting Ho-Ho's though... Those Hoosiers are called Purple Crack for a reason.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users