- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

DCP

DCP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Can anyone point me to a "how to" on removing and replacing the cylinder head? I possess only modest mechanical skills, but want to learn. 

I have a 96. I found a 97 factory manual online and printed the relevant section. I found the timing belt instructions on Miata.net.  I was hoping to find someone's Miata cylinder head step by step, but so far have not been successful. 

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:11

I know several local racers that would help you in exchange for a few beers and maybe some free lawyer-ing advice :)

Cylinder head R&R is really easy on these cars. The more you do it the easier and faster it is like anything else. 

Rotate the engine to TDC on #1 cylinder.

Then Disconnect:

All wiring/sensor connections and remove coil / plug wires.

Disconnect exhaust manifold and pull back to allow head removal. If downpipe has the bracket bolted to tranny remove the single bolt in bracket to allow the down pipe to be moved back.  I disconnect the downpipe to exhaust bolts also.

Disconnect fuel line connections to fuel rail (loosen fuel filler cap, just do it)

Remove radiator fan to allow better access to timing belt (some remove radiator but I don't think this is necessary)

Disconnect upper radiator hose, coolant hose at water pump and heater hose at rear of head.

Get the alternator belt off the water pump pulley, remove water pump pulley.

Remove valve cover and front of engine plastic covers to get at timing belt to release tension and get belt off of the cam sprokets.

Loosen cylinder head bolts (dont use power tools here), remove all bolts and be sure to remove the steel washers that are on each bolt.

Lift cylinder head slowly, you most likely left something attached so if it hangs up find out what was missed.

I like to remove and install the head with the intake manifold attached. It is just easier for me that way, but you can do it either way.

Also, get the car up on jack stands before you start so you can get under the car and it is just easier to work on the car when elevated a bit.

I am sure I left out a step or 2, so use this as a basic guideline and let me know if I can help.

I remove the head with the intake manifold attached and install the same way. The most difficult part of head install for me was to get at all the nuts on the intake so I just install the head with the intake manifold on.  The FSM for a 97 should have all you need for instructions

• john mueller likes this
G. Corley
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Step 1 - always: disconnect battery

Before step one, order gasket kit from MazdaSpeed. Tell them what you're doing and they'll fix you up.

• john mueller likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

DCP

DCP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

I know several local racers that would help you in exchange for a few beers and maybe some free lawyer-ing advice :)

All my racer friends live too far away! Advice for them is always free anyway so that offer won't do any good.

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

All my racer friends live too far away! Advice for them is always free anyway so that offer won't do any good.

Beverages can be shipped :-)

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Number:11

Step 1 - always: disconnect battery

Before step one, order gasket kit from MazdaSpeed. Tell them what you're doing and they'll fix you up.

I leave the battery connected so I can light my cigar with the sparks. Never have a lighter when I need one.

• Keith Novak likes this
G. Corley

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

I thought that's what the wall-mounted sheet plate & angle grinder hanging from the rope was for?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

miata4me

miata4me

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Car Number:91

How long does it take, on average, to change a cylinder head?

Can you reuse the original head bolts or do they need to be replaced?

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
Takes me about 1 hour. Bolts can be reused. I've done a few so plan on around 3 hours for a new guy
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Experienced Miata guys on a clean engine can do it in an hour.

If you are asking this question, you obviously are not an experienced auto mechanic. And you probably have an engine that has never been apart.

I would expect 10 hours of your time to do the r and r. Plus another 2-3 for cleaning.

That also assumes no studs break.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

How long does it take, on average, to change a cylinder head?

Can you reuse the original head bolts or do they need to be repla

Yes but you want to use 30 wt oil on the them when you reinstall to get tq right. follow the manual (need to have a manual)  on the order and process of taking them on and off. You will find some video on line about how to line up the timing belt, to save time and second guessing put motor at TDC then mark the timing belt on the cam wheels and crank and then just line up the marks on the install. give your self time to do this so you can ask questions along the way. Take pictures as you go so you know how things should look,

Call Dave Wheeler at 2am with questions, he really likes that.

• Ryan Roberson likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users