Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Hi I am Danny, I was a third gear addict, but I have been cured. I routinely consumed more than my fair share of 3rd gears and my tranny builder Joe Varble will attest too. However, once Joe explained how using the gearbox with any compression-load during downshifting, (even when perfectly blip matching the RPM),  places significant forces on the weak, reverse side of the gear, well than cured me, and I now downshift way way way later than I ever did,  And while I still consider myself prone to relapse at any time, I am coming up to my 12 month (40 race) anniversary real soon and I suspect Joe will be handing out my well deserved NO-3rd-gear button 

LMFAO

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I wish it was that easy for me frank!! Last one I lost I had a 6 second lead and was in cruise control :(

And you had me covered at Hallet while in second :(

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Region:ATL
  • Car Number:49

It's worth noting that being on the receiving end of a bump draft also loads the gears in the undesirable direction.

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

2016 SARRC SM ECR Champion

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

It's worth noting that being on the receiving end of a bump draft also loads the gears in the undesirable direction.

True, but the rear end aluminum housing will usually break first.

Just like shifting, a properly done bump draft hurts nothing. It is the BASH drafting that breaks components.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

I wish it was that easy for me frank!! Last one I lost I had a 6 second lead and was in cruise control :(

This is part of my questioning a part failure vs the driver abuse.  

Chris is silky smooth with his shift inputs, old motorcycle road racer, where rough means eating some pavement.  

I am as bad as it gets with shifting in a hurry, Chris asked me to demonstrate my typical 2-3 shift for him in his garage one day and the amount of Diet Mountain Dew that came out his nose mid drink was astounding.  He has lost 2 G3 in the same amount of time that I have lost 1.  I am bad about many of the things you gurus have described as hard on the gears.  However, there are others that don't abuse their boxes that experience the G3 failure at higher rates than a known abuser.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73

And you had me covered at Hallet while in second :(

Not sure about covered but sure thought I had a good chance at it.
  • Jim Drago likes this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
Mpr22 I think I still have dew coming out of my nose lol
  • Jim Drago likes this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Will call trans guy and ask about the gears to confirm.  I often hear what I think I am going to hear and not what is said. 

LOL.  Every human I know, including myself, often hears WHAT HE WANTS TO HEAR, and not what is said :)

Drago and I have had some version of that conversation ... 500 times??? :)

• Jim Drago likes this

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Chris that comment was not specifically directed to you. However, it is also track dependent as well. We did a Major at MIS Roval in May and we have multiple 2nd gear corners, I HATE second Gear corners as that dreaded 2 to 3 shift under pressure is not easy to get a hang of. After the end of the weekend I was finding the gate with no issues, but if you never do that shift on a regular basis its difficult.

To me the down shift, blip; and timing on when to take the gear was much easier to get control of.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

This is part of my questioning a part failure vs the driver abuse.  

Chris is silky smooth with his shift inputs, old motorcycle road racer, where rough means eating some pavement.  

I am as bad as it gets with shifting in a hurry, Chris asked me to demonstrate my typical 2-3 shift for him in his garage one day and the amount of Diet Mountain Dew that came out his nose mid drink was astounding.  He has lost 2 G3 in the same amount of time that I have lost 1.  I am bad about many of the things you gurus have described as hard on the gears.  However, there are others that don't abuse their boxes that experience the G3 failure at higher rates than a known abuser.  

I am probably going to get black listed or booted off for this comment but you have to handle the gear shift like a pair of boobs. gently.

• chris haldeman likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
Mmmmm boobies!!
  • Danny Steyn likes this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
What were we talking about?

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Hi I am Danny, I was a third gear addict, but I have been cured. I routinely consumed more than my fair share of 3rd gears as my tranny builder Joe Varble will attest too. However, once Joe explained how using the gearbox with any compression-load during downshifting, (even when perfectly blip matching the RPM),  places significant forces on the weak, reverse side of the gear, well that cured me, and I now downshift way way way later than I ever did,  And while I still consider myself prone to relapse at any time, I am coming up to my 12 month (40 race) anniversary real soon and I suspect Joe will be handing out my well deserved NO-3rd-gear button 

Your CREW guys appreciate this life changing shifting reform as well, LOL

• joe varble likes this

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

I am probably going to get black listed or booted off for this comment but you have to handle the gear shift like a pair of boobs. gently.

Does that mean I should use two hands?
  • FTodaro likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Does that mean I should use two hands?

Better idea than your lips...

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver