Jim Venable

Jim Venable

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Region:NW
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:71

Currently I run a cable at an approximate 45 degree angle from the interior door handle to the lower front of the door. If the safety net is lowered before opening the door the net prevents access to the cable. While our emergency exit drills dictate opening the door before dropping the net, that could easily not happen in a real emergency situation. I will take a look at running the cable horizontal to the ground later this week to see if there is sufficient clearance to reach and open with the net down. In the meantime, what have some of you incorporated to open the door from the inside and how was it installed. I can replace the doors and utilize the original or portions of the original hardware instead of cable if there is clearance for the NASCAR bars. 

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

FWIW, I run a cable parallel to the ground, as you describe.  I ran the cable the full width of the door, to the window crank hole.  I like it for two reasons:

1. I can easily find it with my eyes closed.  The cable is immediately above the door bars.  So, I can just feel for the door bars and reach through to the cable. 
  2. It is largely behind the window net when the net is UP. So, it encourages lowering the net, before opening the door.  However, because it runs forward to the window crank, you CAN stil lget to it with the net up...if needed.

I was looking to see if I had any pictures, but I can't find any showing the door bars, with the door closed, showing the cable in relation.  Anyway, I'm sure its perfectly visualizable.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users