Photo

What's the fair way to handle a rental breakdown?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999
Just curious how most, who rent out SM rides, would handle a mechanical issue not fixable at the track which prevents the renter from completing his weekend? Hoping to get some guidance. Thanks.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Put him in the spare car

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mitch Reading

Mitch Reading

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:65

I've been the "rentee" many times in the last 8 years from a number of great shops, depending on the event.  I've been put in spare cars, had issues fixed overnight and even credits toward future races. 

Remember that diff that exploaded in one of my rookie events Meathead??  Looking back on it, it was probably because I sucked more than I do now... but that credit toward my next event kept me positive AND funding Mike's racing. 

When the car has a severe issue during a long distance enduro, it usually means that the "renter" and myself start drinking earlier... which leads to plotting on how we can win the next event and means I get to spend even more money.    ... I guess I need to rethink my approach :)

In all seriousness though, I've always had a rental contract that outlines exactly "what if" issues.  Nothing is perfect, but at least outlines expectations. 

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Pro-rate the rest of the day, renter is outta luck on travel and registration.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest

Put him in the spare car

Funny Mr. Wheeler......prorating seems fair. Don't you think?

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Number:57

Stickey wicket.  As a car owner I'd say, up front, the renter needs to pay for the cost to get the car to the track.  That needs to be paid before the car is loaded up.  Then, before the car is driven on track, he needs to put up some type of deposit in case he wads up the car, That is besides the rental/support costs.

It's a little tough on the renter to come up with all that cost, but you need to figure that if the rental car stays home, it stays worth the same money as before the weekend.  In other words, once the car leaves the shop, it's in risk of something happening to it that otherwise would not have happened if it stayed home (blown engine, trans, crash damage, towing accident).

Hope that makes sense.

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Kyle Keenan

Kyle Keenan

Pass right

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:Oregon Region
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:44

I think it depends on the situation. I try to always run Data and video on a driver when they're running one of our cars to take out any "what-ifs."

A few years back, I was working for a team who had a local guy driving one of their cars. He lost a motor, and blamed it on us, but after showing him the 8400 rpm's the motor was at when he hit 2nd instead of 4th on the front straight at pacific, he suddenly came right around..... At that point they need to pay for the damage they caused before they get back into the car.

#44 Team KBR/KKRProducts.com Spec Miata
#44 Team KBR/Dick Hannah Kia Rio B-Spec/ World Challenge TCB
#16 & #36 Blairco Spec Miata's, ICSCC

2014 SCCA B-Spec National Champion

Dick Hannah Dealerships | Kia Racing | Team-KBR.com | KKRProducts.com | DBB | Fast Specialties | Blairco Heating | SBOX Engineering | Sikk Shades by Eddie Bauer, JR | Hawk Performance

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DES4

DES4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:93
Once had a SM rental at a NASA HPDE (Sebring). A rear brake line started leaking going into my third session on Saturday, so I brought it back in, and they didn't get it going again until midday Sunday. Never offered a refund, and that was all the encouragement I needed to buy my own car (best prepped car I ever had)...
Dave Stine

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed," -Eleanor Roosevelt

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
Depends who's fault the mechanical is...... renter induced means we repair while renter waits at renters expense....failure not due to renter... renter gets replacement car, future rental credit or in an extreme case a refund. We have a very good contract that spells everything out that the renter gets in advance. No surprises.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

My original comment was mostly tongue in check. And I was getting ready to leave for Gingerman.

A lot has to do with the situation, is it session one of a 3 day weekend or the last session on Sunday. Is it because the renter drove into a tree or because the oil filter filter fell off?

I have stepped out of my car when needed and changed heads at 11pm the nite befor an enduro. It takes a lot of damage before my guys will give up on fixing a car.

Have a good contract, know what you are getting into before you sign the contract. Know the reputation of the shop you are renting from.

At the 13 hour several years ago I had a group renting a car from me. Never met the guys before arriving at VIR. About 6 hours into the race, I was informed that the oil pressure warning lite would flash for a split second at one turn, every lap. And only at that turn. I checked the car and everything looked good. So I sent them back out. About 7 pm the motor exploded, BIG TIME. 30 feet of flame out the back of the car. There where no hard feelings, they got an extra few hours in the car and where happy. I did not charge for the engine since it was my call to continue with the light flashing. Everyone left the track feeling the problem was handled properly and fairly.

Decisions like this need to be made using common sense and a sense of fairness. But know what you are getting into regardless of which side of the rental contract you are on.

Dave

• Glenn and Bench Racer like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

mellen

mellen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:87

....failure not due to renter... renter gets replacement car, future rental credit or in an extreme case a refund. We have a very good contract that spells everything out that the renter gets in advance. No surprises.

i wish that was always the case

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting HOLY SHIT........WHAT A RIDE!!!!!!!!
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

i wish that was always the case

Just to be clear...your experience was not with MEATHEAD Racing
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

mellen

mellen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:87

Just to be clear...your experience was not with MEATHEAD Racing

sorry!! you are correct it was not with MEATHEAD

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting HOLY SHIT........WHAT A RIDE!!!!!!!!
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:44

As a lawyer and an addicted serial renter until this year, I recommend Mike Collins approach. If the contract doesn't spell it out, talk it out with the car owner. The guys I have met who rent regularly (OPM, MEATHEAD, Advanced, BSI, AMG, etc.) are all good guys and want repeat business. They won't stay in business if they are not fair.

I have done dozens of rentals with OPM. I read the contract and Tom Fowler and I talk things over regularly. If I over-rev'd, I paid. If I blew the transmission Sunday afternoon after missed shifts, I paid. If the transmission crapped out on the first practice session, I didn't pay. If I hit the wall, the OPM crew worked like hell to patch things up so I could get back on track and I paid for the damage.

I may have regretted the cost I incurred through my mistakes but I have never regretted doing business with OPM. 

• Mike Collins likes this

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

As a lawyer and an addicted serial renter until this year, I recommend Mike Collins approach. If the contract doesn't spell it out, talk it out with the car owner. The guys I have met who rent regularly (OPM, MEATHEAD, Advanced, BSI, AMG, etc.) are all good guys and want repeat business. They won't stay in business if they are not fair.

I have done dozens of rentals with OPM. I read the contract and Tom Fowler and I talk things over regularly. If I over-rev'd, I paid. If I blew the transmission Sunday afternoon after missed shifts, I paid. If the transmission crapped out on the first practice session, I didn't pay. If I hit the wall, the OPM crew worked like hell to patch things up so I could get back on track and I paid for the damage.

I may have regretted the cost I incurred through my mistakes but I have never regretted doing business with OPM. 

Tom is what we call in the legal field an "expert" as he has done all the things on that list.

• Keith Andrews, CruzanTom and Michael Colangelo like this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jay Stroud

Jay Stroud

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:SE - Atlanta
  • Car Number:34

William - a lot of good posts here from reputable guys already.  I rent a fleet of SM's in the Southeast so here's my 2 cents.  The first is how the problem came about...due to renter, car prep, other, etc.  If that is clear, then that is your starting point to determine an appropriate resolution.  If it is a mechanical issue which is our fault, we pro-rate or return money.  True, we don't cover travel expenses but everything else we can refund.  That is why a lot of prep goes into the car pre-event.  I'd rather lose money and try to keep a client happy than lose potential future business.  Like Mike said, if there are spare cars, you put them in one or at least give them the option.  Some may not have this ability or all cars may be rented. Those are usually painful weekends but can be solved.

Other times, there is gray area which are more challenging.  In my rental contract, I try to cover all aspects of fault (me, the renter, both, or just stuff that happens in racing, etc.) As for the gray area, we have a conversation with a renter to determine what is fair to both parties.  Remember...it's a lot easier to rent to existing customers so it's best to find a solution that both agree to and make each other whole.  In my experience over the past 5 years, renter's understand this principle and I've never been in a situation where we didn't feel that the outcome was fair to both parties.  

Lastly, I always let potential renters read my rental agreement beforehand and have a follow-up conversation.  I want to make sure they fully read and understand all the situations.  Things like over-revs, wrecks you get involved in not of your own choosing, track offs that cause damage or parts failure, etc. all have costs associated with them.  That conversation is a lot more challenging after the fact while you are at the track rather than beforehand.  They're not "black and white" issues but they do happen in our class quite frequently.  I want my client's to understand "all the risks" of competing so we can focus on having fun at the track and most importantly, that they felt like they got their money's worth.  ~Jay Stroud

~Jay Stroud

Racing Analytics / Excelerace

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users