AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:78

Your Hero 3 allows you to charge it and record at the same time? 

I'm asking, because mine does not allow me unless I trick the camera by hitting the record button first, and then connecting the charging cable.  In a race car it would require a switch somewhere to turn on the charging a bit later.

Not to mention one needs Skeleton housing to make this work. 

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Update: I ended-up buying a GoPro Hero3. Tip: For the package and accessories I bought, on-line purchase at Wallymart was about $150 less than the next closest competitor BestBuy, and it was delivered in two days.

PS: the extended life BatteryBac comes with deeper skeleton and standard housings.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jeff Wasilko

Jeff Wasilko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:08

Your Hero 3 allows you to charge it and record at the same time? 

It seems fine charging and running at the same time.

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

So, a gopro will connect directly to an old school I/O port mount without the need for other accessories?

I've seen a couple of SM's with go pros on the roof.  ARe those held on just with the suction cups?  Are they strong enough to withstand our vibrations, impacts, etc?  Is there a generic suction cup you guys like or is it best to stick with the go pro branded one.  (Just got a Hero 3 Black Ed on a black friday deal.  Yay, me!)

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

For mounting outside the car, if you want to guarantee that the camera is still there after any type of contact, or heavy use of the rumble strips, I would use the stick on mounts.  You can probably get away with the suction cups right up until you can't, and a corner worker brings you what's left of your camera.

wheel

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Number:60

So, a gopro will connect directly to an old school I/O port mount without the need for other accessories?

I don't think so.  I used the tripod mount.  < $8 (I have Prime so free two day shipping.)

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Number:78
I've seen a couple of SM's with go pros on the roof.  ARe those held on just with the suction cups?  Are they strong enough to withstand our vibrations, impacts, etc?

There are many ways of doing it.  The only way to withstand vibrations is to screw in the base.  That is how I mount my GoPro to the skis and race cars.  Take the regular small flat 'sticky' mount.   Drill at least 4 holes in it using counter sink drills, or mimic it with multiple drill sizes.  Find 4 small screws with a flat top.  Screw in the screws to whatever you want (body panels, dashboard,  etc).  You're done.

I had the camera mounts brake in half, but the base will never come off.  Not to mention, less aerodynamic drag than the suction cup.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users