Photo

SM mixed class, love it, challenge, headache, deal with it?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

SM and SRF mostly have their own run group.

STL, PTE, ITS, ITA, etc. you run. Have an issue with classes all of a sudden?

Rolex, Grand Am does it.

Too hard? Working traffic not part of race craft?

SCCA doesn't, NASA does with E30 and USTCC.

I discussed it over dinner.

Both club depending on region, class, track, rules followed or not, it's a pendulum on what works for you.

What do you think?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Mastek

Mastek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:13
Johnny,

I almost always double dip, running SM plus another class (STL, ITS, etc) which is part of a mixed group.

It's like comparing apples and oranges. I like apples (SM) better since the cars are equal. Te racing is very close, and Car speed and race craft are the focus.

With mixed run groups, an SM is typically down on HP and up on handling, so managing traffic consumes a lot of focus. Get passed on straights, then fight to pass back in the corners. I find that less enjoyable, but do it anyway to gain more track time.

Cheers, Mike
  • Alberto likes this

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68

Different strokes for different folks.  Definitely a differentiator for SCCA, especially in the Northwest where there are three clubs to choose from.

I absolutely hated it when I was making my run for wins in SM.  Even one fraction of a second delay in my run to hunt down the next SM pissed me off to no end.  I was SO glad when we gained enough car count/class prestige to have our own group.  Because of those early years, I still can't stand being held up by some bloke who can't find enough cars in his own class to race with!  Check this vid out.  Running second behind Sutherland in a National when a viper comes from nowhere and parks it in the chicane at PIR.  Racecraft? 

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

^you got totally hosed there

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Bruce, I totally understand your feelings. Maybe a bit of pi$$ed off/lost conceration and two buds say, thank you. I have skiped race events because of race groups (late model oval stock cars, GT1 cars, ect;) made up by dumb a$$es officals. Talked to the officals ahead of time and the conversation rolls off their back like water off a ducks back. :frustrated:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users