• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Dave, where do you get SKF hubs?

Jim, what is a higher quality ball?

Any thoughts on Koyo?  I have them on the front now.  I'm assuming they were straight from Mazda when the car they came off of was new.  I believe they have 1 more ball than the Timkens.  FWIW.  They also had that nice white grease in them when I disassembled them.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:78

Help me out a bit here with Timken fronts lasting thousands of miles. This is something most are not aware of including me.

For the front, buy Timken units (not much will be Timken there, SKF bearing possible :)) and install them without repacking.  That's the magic.  Mine did almost 3000 miles without repacking.  No play in them.  Timken btw, is not a bearing company.  It's a repacking/shipping company.  They find good quality products, package them together and ship them to you. 

My rear SKFs are also very close to 3000 miles without any play.  I never repack front or rear.  This winter I'll simply buy new bearings and exchange.

I believe Koyos are some of the best bearings around, but they are impossible to get in the states in small quantities, so you have to buy them from Mazda and pay more.

Another note...If a hub has the smallest amount of play when
checked(assuming nut is torqued)no way is this re-packable correct? Am I
wrong in thinking once a bearing/hub becomes loose/wobbly its done??

I know of a front running team that repacks loose bearings and keeps them running.  According to them, the repacking stops them from getting worse.  I personally would not do it. 

Repack before installation with better quality Grease like VC-2.

I also use CV-2, but I'm not so convinced any more.  There was a guy on this forum saying the white grease that comes with your bearings is the best grease ever made, but you can't buy it.  Not sure if it's true, but I would try it since it does work on my "factory" stuff.

Whoever you talk to about bearings you're going to get a different answer.  Do what works for you.  Do not use China bearings though.  There is a guy on Bob Is The Oil Guy website that knows his stuff when it comes to bearings, I'm sure he could answer some of the more difficult questions. 

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Jim, what is a higher quality ball?

The balls come in different grades, the ones that come in all the hubs( even OEM) are low grade.
The higher the grade, the more round, smooth and closer to size they are.
  • DrDomm likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68

ROTFL

they certainly do...

• pat slattery and Jim Drago like this

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68

Edited your way out of that one :D

• pat slattery and Jim Drago like this

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dfuser

dfuser

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Region:Southwest, Texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:18

The SKF fronts are about $120/each Rears $30/each and based on feedback here would be the better options, maybe?

Bill Agha

SM 18

Sponsored by:  raceoutfitter.com

Engine/Setup:  X-Factor racing

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Number:11

The SKF fronts are about $120/each Rears $30/each and based on feedback here would be the better options, maybe?

So is a SKF a whole a hub?  or just the balls?  if it is a whole bearing does include pressing out the outter races from the hub?  Or is a whole bearing in this case the cages, inner races and balls?

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
fronts are complete hubs, rears are bearings that need to be pressed in

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

if it is a whole bearing does include pressing out the outter races from the hub?

The outter race is machined into the hub, then induction hardned. Nothing to press in or out.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

So is there a source for the SKF bearing/hubs?  Is the Mazdaspeed sourced ones Koyos?

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Number:78

Mazda used and uses Koyo bearings.  SKF bearings you buy on RockAuto.  Units sold on this site use Koyos I believe. 

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

I noticed that there were not non ABS SKF options do those who use SKF just use the ABS version?  

Just curious if others have used BECK/ARNLEY, Raybestos, or MOOG/NATIONAL?  Or if they are just rebrands of other products.  

- Speed

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
Abs version is fine. The ring can be removed with a hammer
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
Fwiw I use and sell timken bearings rebuilt and modified.
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

I thought I'd read at some point that the rear bearings are too hard to rebuild/replace and that they should be tossed once play is detected.  Is that not correct?

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
Yes if there is play in the rear the bearing is ruined and must be replaced
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22
[quote name="Sphinx" post="54155" timestamp="1382645575"]I thought I'd read at some point that the rear bearings are too hard to rebuild/replace and that they should be tossed once play is detected.  Is that not correct?[

They are easy to change the grease before you install, once installed one of the races usually quasi fuses to the hub and needs to be cut off, requiring a new bearing.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

HLF

HLF

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Car Year:1997

Okay, a little more info.  When I grab the tire (after jacking that corner up) and try to find play in the bearings there is none. 

There is still resistance.

I think I am going to put this on the back burner while I sort out my head issue. 

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

No Play, bearings are fine.

Resistance, IYO, maybe you need to be repacked again or with better grease, less or both.

A search here may find something.

Also Drago has some in the classified.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Okay, a little more info.  When I grab the tire (after jacking that corner up) and try to find play in the bearings there is none. 

There is still resistance.

I think I am going to put this on the back burner while I sort out my head issue.

A bearing is bad if:
There is play in the bearing or
Does not roll smoothly, has a grinding or rough spot., or
Bought it on eBay
  • Jim Drago likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users