trail brake

trail brake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:46

I'm building a motor for my Solo STS 1.6l Miata and I have broken 1 rinig.  I'm hoping to avoid having to buy a full set.  Does anyone have one out there that they would be willing to sell me for a slight profit to you without raping me?  It's the middle ring, the one with the beveled inner edge.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Doug Jackson

trail brake

trail brake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Does anyone have any suggestions to help remedy this situation?

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Ok Doug, I'll reply because no one else is going to for the same reason I passed on replying yesterday.

First - It was somewhat insulting to ask for the help but to imply that you might be raped in people giving it. What would a slight profit be? Can you imagine a slight profit on a single ring being worth anyones time? My time is worth $200 an hour. Just driving to the post office to mail it to you would burn through your "slight profit".

2nd- Are you Fing kidding? A single ring for a single piston? No one has this because everyone would throw them away after pulling them out of a motor. Plus it is oversized and only a few fools like me run an overbore.

3rd - If the motor is torn apart, you are being penny wise and pound foolish replacing just one.

But to answer your 2nd question. Yes, buy a new ring set.

• Ron Alan and Jim Drago like this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

BTW, I'd give it to you if I had. So would anyone else here. Plus drive it to the post office for free.

• Ron Alan and Jim Drago like this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

trail brake

trail brake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Ok Doug, I'll reply because no one else is going to for the same reason I passed on replying yesterday.

First - It was somewhat insulting to ask for the help but to imply that you might be raped in people giving it. What would a slight profit be? Can you imagine a slight profit on a single ring being worth anyones time? My time is worth $200 an hour. Just driving to the post office to mail it to you would burn through your "slight profit".

2nd- Are you Fing kidding? A single ring for a single piston? No one has this because everyone would throw them away after pulling them out of a motor. Plus it is oversized and only a few fools like me run an overbore.

3rd - If the motor is torn apart, you are being penny wise and pound foolish replacing just one.

But to answer your 2nd question. Yes, buy a new ring set.

First - Sorry if I offended anyone with the "Raped" comment.  I really didn't mean to offend anyone.  Smooth feathers and let's move on.

Second - I am not replacing one.  I am replacing all of them as I am going + .010 but I broke one during install, hence neading one ring.  I was hoping that someone had an extra laying around since you guys are racers and Sh-tuff happens (it did to me).  I wa just hoping that somebody here could help me track down a single 2nd piston ring because I really don't want to buy another full set for only 1 ring.

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

First - Sorry if I offended anyone with the "Raped" comment.  I really didn't mean to offend anyone.  Smooth feathers and let's move on.

Second - I am not replacing one.  I am replacing all of them as I am going + .010 but I broke one during install, hence neading one ring.  I was hoping that someone had an extra laying around since you guys are racers and Sh-tuff happens (it did to me).  I wa just hoping that somebody here could help me track down a single 2nd piston ring because I really don't want to buy another full set for only 1 ring.

Ahhhh. I understand now. I wish I had one for you. Like I said I would send it to you free if I did. I think you are going to have a very tough time finding it. Good luck though!

Marc S

Marc S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Region:North Carolina
  • Car Number:65

I have a set of first-over rings I bought from Mazda and installed (on my street car) before I realized they were first-over.  So they've been installed and removed, but are otherwise new.  I'll sell them to you for $75 if you can't find just a bare 2nd ring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users