- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Tom Masiero

Tom Masiero

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I missed forth and went into second and over revved. Engine still seems to run fine and has the same power. But in the back of my mind I keep thinking what did I hurt. Are any signs of failure I can be looking for as I do maintenance over the winter?
1990 ssm Miata 1.6

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Do you have data? How bad was over rev?

The bad thing is often they will dyno and run fine after an over rev, then you snap a rod or lose a rod bearing. 

Do a leak down and make sure you didnt dink a valve. The rev is either change rod bolts and check rods or chance. If over rev was under 7800 or so, you should be OK

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

Just my experience.  Same thing except missed the 2nd to 3rd up shift and went into 1st.  Two races later the thin end of a rod snapped off without another over rev.  

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I have over rev my Stock motor when I first started racing, not sure of the RPM but it was big and did not do a thing to the motor. I have not made that mistake on my pro motor over the last few years but early on you tend to get a little excited. I think i did it twice and since then had it rebuilt and its still kicking.

What is nice about our little Miata's is that they can take a beating like most other cars cannot.

• Michael Colangelo likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Tom Masiero

Tom Masiero

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

No Data running at the time. Can I get that info off the ECU somehow?

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26

I'm religious about cutting open oil filters.  It's my understanding that if a rod bearing starts to come apart you will see some metal in your filter.  It's simple to do and no matter where it comes from if you see metal bits in the filter it's time to investigate further. 

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I'm religious about cutting open oil filters.  It's my understanding that if a rod bearing starts to come apart you will see some metal in your filter.  It's simple to do and no matter where it comes from if you see metal bits in the filter it's time to investigate further.

I do and advise the same. If you dont do it all the time, it is almost a waste of time. If a rod bearing starts to go, you have to be a little lucky to catch it by cutting the filter. It stems the bleeding, it turns a potential 5000-6000 problem into a 1500 or less problem most times.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

screaming monkey

screaming monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Region:WI
  • Car Number:65

Did the same. Bent valves. Went two weekends of racing before the discovery. Engine felt a little flat at RA, but not obvious. Found in leakdown. Could have been worse.

Richard Scott Mooney
"Warm up your tires, brakes and brains"

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92

I did that once. It went to 8510 rpms according to data.

Never made any funny noises, lost pressure, or put metal in the filter. Raced it for another year and a half before freshening it.

YMMV.

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I did that once. It went to 8510 rpms according to data.

YMMV.

Usually the E & F production car racers check their rods after a time or two above 8,200 rpm's.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

If you pull the pistons out, do you have to re-do the rings?  I was thinking that if they weren't in exactly the same orientation they were when the engine broke in, it could result in higher leak-down numbers.

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

If you pull the pistons out, do you have to re-do the rings?  I was thinking that if they weren't in exactly the same orientation they were when the engine broke in, it could result in higher leak-down numbers.

Within an engine some rings tend to rotate during actual use and some rings tend to stay put. As far as re-using rings, it may be reused if there are no issues and the end gap is to spec. I wouldn't re-use rings because it's a hell of a lot of work to get an unexpected surprise.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Number:88

That's what I figured.  I've over-reved my engine a few times and it's still running strong but from what I've been told, if the tires are good and hot they'll slide and it's not as bad on the motor.  There are low hours on this motor and I have rods that I could just swap out with some new bearing which is relatively easy <cough> but tearing it down to deglaze the cylinders for new rings adds a fair bit of extra effort.  I may just break in my back-up motor and give some thought to dealing with the questionable one.

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

What's the easiest way to cut open the filter without a filter cutting tool?  I did this guy's method last night http://www.youtube.c...h?v=KFXYN5ZN9S8 on a filter for one of my street cars.  It was a PITA, but worked. 

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26

That looked like a fairly good way to do it without a filter cutter.   If you decide to buy a cutter this is the one I have.  http://www.jegs.com/...roductId=753437  It has worked well for a number of years.  

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

I used my wife's can opener...

Ron

RAmotorsports

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

I used my wife's can opener...

I tried it, didn't work. 

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92

Cheap exhaust tubing cutter from any auto parts store.

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

No Data running at the time. Can I get that info off the ECU somehow?

You mean is it stored for download?  No its not.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA