• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

leisurehound

leisurehound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Thanks guys.  

One further question. Since this is my first race car that has fenders and actually started as a road car, to remove the side airbags in the seats, its just a simple unplug the connectors under the seat, no?  The prep shop will do the steering wheel airbag & quick release install, but I'm doing the other stripping.  Googling 'accidental airbag deployment' does not show friendly images...

Tim

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

Unhook the battery first.  The airbags will only deploy under sudden deceleration.  The connections are just plug and play.

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Tim, procure a Miata Factory Shop Manual and MANY things you will need for to know for stripping (and repair) are in the manual. You know the ol comericals about "Priceless".

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

leisurehound

leisurehound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Thanks.  Have one on order from Mazdaspeed as well as one of the online bootlegs.

See you guys at the races.  Come on out to Laguna next year.  It is as fabulous as they say.

Tim

leisurehound

leisurehound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

I will make the submission.

Any update on this submission? Haven't seen the parts approved in fastrak.

skeeler

skeeler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:DC
  • Car Year:2009
  • Car Number:13

I know a guy selling a T4/SM5 now because he is building another one...  great cars.  I also know where another former Playboy now SM5 is just sitting if someone wants details hit me up.  Not a classified just know where some cars are sitting....

So Mike, what's the going price for a mid-level SM5?  Also since the engines are sealed and the suspension is specified, are cars all pretty evenly capable?  What, if anything, separates a front-running car from a back-marker?

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

So Mike, what's the going price for a mid-level SM5?  Also since the engines are sealed and the suspension is specified, are cars all pretty evenly capable?  What, if anything, separates a front-running car from a back-marker?

25k for a middle SM5.  I am building one now for under 20K and have seen ones built for over 40k... not much different than SM.  Performance wise they are all the same bottom to top...

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

skeeler

skeeler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:DC
  • Car Year:2009
  • Car Number:13

Mike, thanks for your reply.  25 k$ is consistent with what I was guessing.

Joe Cooley

Joe Cooley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:2006
  • Car Number:5

Pertaining to this thread

Published in this month's Fastrack

Allow 2009-12 RX8 Hubs on 2006-08 and 2009-13 MX-5 Miata
Thank you for your request. Add to specification line for Mazda MX5 06-08, 09-13: 2009-2012 Mazda RX8 front hubs allowed. 

2006 T4 MX-5  White

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MitchBend2

MitchBend2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

FYI-SCCA Racing memo regarding 06-08 MX 5 wheels in T4

SCCA RM 14-14  5/29/14

Effective immediately:

In T4, Mazda MX 5 (06-08)  (2006-2013 factory wheels are allowed)

NPiekarski

NPiekarski

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Region:Cen-Div
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:67

Pardon my lack of knowledge in the Touring rules but curious. Other than running the MSR suspension kit listed, what is everyone finding to be the spring and shock setup that works best? Do you need to run the stock sway bar and stock springs (non mx5 cup springs) and any non-adjustable shock? I see for 2017 you can run the SM5 shock package.

Nic Piekarski

My 99 Spec Miata makes great torque under 5,500 RPM!!!

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

The spring/shock/sway bar rules are being rewriten to actually make sense. What will end up being "THE" package will be the SM5 shocks, only available as a kit from Mazda. With SM5/Cup sway bars, they are the same. And Cup springs. You will get the 100 pound penalty, but this is the best setup. You will need to design a perch for the top of the spring and modify the threaded lower spring pearch to fit the cup spring.

I was told in January that the Touring committee is working on the rewrite so it is actually understandable and with parts that are currently available. Several parts from the MSR kit are no longer available. Plus it is expensive for what it really is.

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ner88

ner88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Region:NER/CFR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:98

So, I have to ask....Why not the RX8 for T4 over the MX5??

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
Weight and restrictor plate needed for the rx8
I also feel the max camber rule will hurt the heavy car that must run the same width tire. Just guessing from my limited experience with the rx8.
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
That said I feel both the mx5 and rx8 should be able to be competitive
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

So, I have to ask....Why not the RX8 for T4 over the MX5??

pounds  and Mid Ohio not a good combo

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jesse Prather

Jesse Prather

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Region:Kansas

Running an MX5 in EP the main issues were the front hubs, of course, and good cooling.  These engine's do NOT like to get hot.  When the head warps the cam journal warps very badly and the head is junk.  That being said, the engine has been very reliable since the CRB gave us alternate rods and we shift at 8100 every shift.  Great engines once you figure them out and how to make power.  I'm well into the 200's wheel hp now in EP trim.

The STL MX5 is also a good package with great power although a bit heavy for the class.  Still can't figure out why they don't just pull some weight off of the RWD cars in that class.   That's another topic. 

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Running an MX5 in EP the main issues were the front hubs, of course, and good cooling.  These engine's do NOT like to get hot.  When the head warps the cam journal warps very badly and the head is junk.  That being said, the engine has been very reliable since the CRB gave us alternate rods and we shift at 8100 every shift.  Great engines once you figure them out and how to make power.  I'm well into the 200's wheel hp now in EP trim.

The STL MX5 is also a good package with great power although a bit heavy for the class.  Still can't figure out why they don't just pull some weight off of the RWD cars in that class.   That's another topic. 

I am 3/4 of the way through my T4 build.. Just tubbed out the back yesterday..  I built a triple pass radiator for it as well. Hoping it is a good package at Mid Ohio.

here are some pictures of rear bulkhead we made

9a7fd0d2-4505-4633-8a81-f8be9e7057b6_zps

999d2ea5-2544-43e8-9293-ff7638485b24_zps

aa8766af-a457-4f21-a76a-4df101618546_zps

ce841e31-8c2a-46de-a7d2-b82a9269be5c_zps

• Derrick Ambrose likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Joe Cooley

Joe Cooley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:2006
  • Car Number:5

I am 3/4 of the way through my T4 build.. Just tubbed out the back yesterday..  I built a triple pass radiator for it as well. Hoping it is a good package at Mid Ohio.

here are some pictures of rear bulkhead we made

9a7fd0d2-4505-4633-8a81-f8be9e7057b6_zps

999d2ea5-2544-43e8-9293-ff7638485b24_zps

aa8766af-a457-4f21-a76a-4df101618546_zps

ce841e31-8c2a-46de-a7d2-b82a9269be5c_zps

That came out great.  Didn't like how messy mine was back there.

Not directed at you Jim but everyone building a T4 MX5 just needs to read the rules.  They are confusing but have gotten way better over the last year.  I had the wrong springs on my car last year.  thought they were the correct ones but in fact they were the SM5 springs(which aren't nearly as stiff as the cup springs).  My bad as I had told others to be wary of making the same mistake and I did the same thing by trusting the previous owner/builder.  The most consistent issue I've seen has been around that SM5 suspension.  The other problem is the Cup Header.  I've seen a number of T4 cars running the header which isn't legal either.  

2006 T4 MX-5  White

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

That came out great.  Didn't like how messy mine was back there.

Not directed at you Jim but everyone building a T4 MX5 just needs to read the rules.  They are confusing but have gotten way better over the last year.  I had the wrong springs on my car last year.  thought they were the correct ones but in fact they were the SM5 springs(which aren't nearly as stiff as the cup springs).  My bad as I had told others to be wary of making the same mistake and I did the same thing by trusting the previous owner/builder.  The most consistent issue I've seen has been around that SM5 suspension.  The other problem is the Cup Header.  I've seen a number of T4 cars running the header which isn't legal either.  

very true.. also the cars were artificial "fast " as they were running 100 lbs light with SM5 spring kit thinking is was the MSR option which it isn't.. The Sm5 suspension option is available now at 75 lb weight adder

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users