Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Crossing over to NASA will likely be pretty low on the priority list :) Getting NASA members to cross over to SCCA races should be somewhere other than the bottom of the list.

Fixed. ;) We all know NASA isn't moving, and the SCCA contract is up first right? So it would make sense to move back to Toyo. (Assuming it is a priority of most members to be able to run with both sanctioning bodies.)

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Fixed. ;) We all know NASA isn't moving, and the SCCA contract is up first right? So it would make sense to move back to Toyo. (Assuming it is a priority of most members to be able to run with both sanctioning bodies.)

If that is a priority and rated highly in the survey, the club should listen. Just not sure they will add that question :) I will suggest it though if asked.
  • Todd Green likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Sorry to say that different tires is only a secondary reason I don't race NASA anymore.

My biggest issue has always been the fact that there are only two run groups on a typical race weekend to accommodate all manner of classes, and that I've been at too many events at which the races were shortened in order to stay on schedule to keep the HPDE people happy.

• Mike Collins likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Sorry to say that different tires is only a secondary reason I don't race NASA anymore.

My biggest issue has always been the fact that there are only two run groups on a typical race weekend to accommodate all manner of classes, and that I've been at too many events which had the races were shortened in order to stay on schedule to keep the HPDE people happy.

AMEN BROTHER...

• Mike Collins and pat slattery like this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

My biggest issue has always been the fact that there are only two run groups on a typical race weekend to accommodate all manner of classes, and that I've been at too many events at which the races were shortened in order to stay on schedule to keep the HPDE people happy.

NASA seems to be very region dependent (in my experience.) We also only have two race groups, but our race director has been very accommodating about giving SM a split start if we ask for it and have the numbers. We've never had a race shortened for DE's. Generally if something has to be shortened it is the run group that caused the problem that has their time cut.

But our NASA race director is also our SCCA race director, so the two groups tend to run very similarly. ;)

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:48
Just to clarify, HPDE sessions are also shortened to get back on schedule. Not saying that I like short sessions or mixed up groups..
  • Killian likes this

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sacslider

Sacslider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:27

Best for spec tire (IMO)

8-12 USUABLE cycles( meaning I would race a 10 cycle tire without questions)
reasonable priced tires
trackside support
a tire that does not benefit from shaving
reasonable amount of grip ( not a complete rock)

IMO neither of the current Spec tires are "best" for SM and both could and should address some of these concerns for the benefit of the class.

Out of curiosity, what do you believe is the best tire option for the class, available today?

Craig Evans
NASA NorCal SpecMiata Director Retired
NASA Norcal Region Champion - SpecMiata 2011, 2013<p>
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Out of curiosity, what do you believe is the best tire option for the class, available today?

I am not a good person to answer that question. My answer would be a little more than a guess. I spend all my time testing/using the Hoosier as that is the spec tire now. I have not run the new Toyo, I have not run the BFG's in 3 years and only ran it once at Sebring in STU, not for an extended time period. Others are probably more qualified to make an assessement. My post is my opinion of what the tire should be.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:12

FWIW, I have done some data mining on this topic when we were on the same tire and found that, at least in NorCal, the NASA -> SCCA crossover is significantly smaller than SCCA -> NASA.  Therefore, while an attractive theory about being on the same tire, it is not one that seems to play out in our neck of the woods.  

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn Davis

Glenn Davis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Region:WDCR/Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:TBD

FWIW, I have done some data mining on this topic when we were on the same tire and found that, at least in NorCal, the NASA -> SCCA crossover is significantly smaller than SCCA -> NASA.  Therefore, while an attractive theory about being on the same tire, it is not one that seems to play out in our neck of the woods.  

I think that's probably the same story for most areas, as the SCCA is much more racing focused than NASA.  Given that, having the same tire will reduce costs for some percentage of the population.  This benefit needs to be measured against any benefit derived from spec'ing a given tire.  Service at the track, contingencies, kickback to the leaders are all part of the equation.

Here's an alternative.  If the tire of the "alternate" sponsoring organization is less competitive, why not allow it?  For last year, would anybody have complained if the RR was run in SCCA SM?

I guess there might be some track, under some conditions, that would favor the lesser tire, but that's the complete outlier.

For the case of the SM6 vs the RR, this may have gained attendance at SCCA events as the SM6 seemed to be the tire of choice.

I'm sure there are exclusivity deals that I'm not aware of that drive the equation, but I'm just a racer.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I think its hard to deny that being on one tire and one set of rules is the best thing for the class overall. you know the old story what you don't know you don't know. hard to say who is staying home due to the cost of running two tires.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users