Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

the big problem as i see it you can have 145hp @ 2400lb so they are still handy capping an sm by holding it down to 130hp... uncorked a good sm should be arouns 140 or more and yet anyone else can build a miata and use all the sm parts to stay in pte and get a145hp... seems to me they are still trying to penalize you from running an sm head, which is just the best head possible for the factory. 

When I was serioous about the pte national championships I built a seperate car with most of the sm parts on it staying below the points threshold and I had 145hp...  the car would have been illegal in sm by along shot. 

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

EricJ

EricJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Year:1999

138hp is the limit for a TTE 2400lb Miata points car. There's a -.85 modifier based on the weight. It's buried in Appendix A of the rules.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Hmmm...  I know I was put on the dyno once at the track and didnt break out on hp...  Its very possible the track dyno is off 7 to the dyno I use regularly...  It seems its off more then that when they have a good sm on the track dyno. 

some time I will read this apedix A you are talking about. 

Either forcing the SM to stay at 130hp and letting another competitor to build basically the same car to 138 is just flat wrong...  We might have to start making SM drivers use a different drinking fountain out back... 

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Chad Martin

Chad Martin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Region:Midwest
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:38

The reclasses are "notchy" if that makes any sense.  Meaning the only way to do a reclass to keep the SM in PTE (after suspension and other points are added) are the ones they published.  If you had a higher HP car you would end up with a * (PTE +7 base) and none of the cars on SM tires could stay in PTE anyway.  The miatas due to their top notch chassis are handicaped vs other cars admittedly and FWD cars in general get way more WHP allowance than RWD cars due to the adj factors.

In most cases nowadays one is better off using a reclass.  I believe from anecdotal evidence that the reclasses have become more favorable as of late. I think they are trying to encourage people to reclass and reclass often in PT/TT.

I wont go into my long winded personal opinion but i would do it differently were i running PT, but, i'm not....

I think the case is being made here through all this is: It is indeed not within the PT rules and not fair to just pull a restrictor on a SM and be a PTE car (+6 for head work or not).  Do all the available spec miata mods make sense as "mods" in PT (like the chin spoiler), of course not.  BUT the whole idea of the NASA TT/PT system is open modification allowances accounted for by points, applied in a threshold manner, giving people enormous flexibility in building a car, while trying to keep the rules under 25 pages or whatever...PT wasn't written so spec miata's could sweep E3 Enduro Podiums.  Does this mean the SM is the ideal PTE car? again, nope...

The head issue in my mind is semantics.  It's going to end up being a dyno thing anyway....so most likely 94-05 cars would be best off with pulling the spoiler when they pull the plate and running it that way hoping they don't go over the 138 on a dynojet. (assuming that math is correct).

Now if specific NASA regions are not interested in all these messy details, so be it.  In my region i'm simply trying to enforce the rules as written, universally, to encourage good competition and NASA credibility. 

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

The way I took it was...

If you want to run NASA SM, run SM. (different run group)

If you want to run PT/TT in SM trim you could in this new class. Note: there's a (you May) in the verbage.

You want to run PT with a basic SM setup and you wanted to mod, you could.

Or if you want to run a full blown PT car you could.

And you can run PTE if you know what your doing or talking about from a SM setup.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Chad Martin

Chad Martin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Region:Midwest
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:38

If you want a perfect example of how the FWD cars have it made in PT/TT for the most part, watch Kyle Chase a ford probe around (that could easily have been 2 weeks prior up on jack stands under a tarp in someones back yard) in the 2011 PT champ race...(i'm fairly sure that was you kyle?)

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Yep that was me... passed him a few times and he would just drive right back by... i needed 2-3 more laps really as i had forced him to overheating his tires by the end of the race. his car was a total pos but he drove it actually pretty good for what he had. i can't take anything away from Mr. Reid... nice guy also. Alex and i started that race as suedo team mates with one thing in mind beating the probe. we passed each other a couple times but only because we each made some minor mistakes. if Alex could have stayed in the race we both would have beaten him. Alex lost a hub and slowed us both but as hes exited the race he gave me one last push and then a lap later i was back on the probe. i threw every trick i had at him knowing i needed him to make a mistake or burn up tires. frustrating

K. Webb