Photo

Roll Cage Padding

- - - - - Ruel changed since 2007

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
After Sebring on the production/GTL site:

peter zekert GTL driver wrote:

"The areas the inspectors wanted padding went well beyond areas where the helmet could touch. One inspector told me to pad any area where even my hand could touch."

Very interesting, this current roll cage pad rule below compared to the 2004 and 2007 roll cage pad rules.

"All portions of the roll cage subject to contact by the driver must must be padded with a minimum 1 inch of material." The word must is a mandatory word.

The 2004 and 2007 rule refers to "drivers helmet" using the word shall (mandatory) and the current rule refers to "driver".

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

9.4.G.1 (from the 2010 GCR in front of me)

And this does not have to be SFI, correct?  That's only recommended.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

mhiggins10

mhiggins10

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Region:SOWDIV

I had a SOWDIV inspector note that it had to be SFI rated when I did my annual tech in 2013.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14
2014 SCCA GCR
G. BASIC DESIGN CONSIDERATIONS
1. All portions of the roll cage subject to contact by the driver
must be padded with a minimum 1 inch of material. Padding
that meets or exceeds SFI 45.1 or FIA 8857-2001 (curved
padding), or SFI 45.2 or FIA sports car head rest material (flat
padding) specification is recommended.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

From 2014 GCR...

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Damn...too slow!

Domm Leuci

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

Cool.  I'm ahead of the curve on this one.   :)

Padded those areas using the same SFI rated stuff spec'ed for head contact when I build my car in 2010.  Padded the downtube near the steering wheel and my knee and ankle.  Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

They make a dual density padding that may offer better protection for your hands and lower legs.  It consists of a soft outer layer and a dense inner layer. 

The high density stuff is softer than the cage tubing but it's still pretty stiff.  If your arm hits it for example, your arm is likely to deform much more than the padding.  The soft outer layer of the dual density stuff will compress and decelerate your arm more gradually before it compresses enough to reach the high density inner layer. 

• Anthony Ralston likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999

They make a dual density padding that may offer better protection for your hands and lower legs.  It consists of a soft outer layer and a dense inner layer. 

The high density stuff is softer than the cage tubing but it's still pretty stiff.  If your arm hits it for example, your arm is likely to deform much more than the padding.  The soft outer layer of the dual density stuff will compress and decelerate your arm more gradually before it compresses enough to reach the high density inner layer. 

This ?

BSCI's innovative Dual Durometer SFI Roll Bar Padding

http://www.ogracing....l-bar-padding-3

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995

This ?

BSCI's innovative Dual Durometer SFI Roll Bar Padding

http://www.ogracing....l-bar-padding-3

J~

Yeah.  I think one or more other companies may make a similar version too.  It isn't cheap but it has the fire worthiness properties of the SFI/FIA padding, the high density layer to prevent bottoming it out, and the soft outer layer for soft tissue impact without too much extra bulk.  It's an "optimized" solution.  In my opinion you don't need all that everwhere and can use different padding in different places to improve your safety but I think that stuff is a pretty elegant solution to put all the desired attributes into a compact package.

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

mhiggins10

mhiggins10

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Region:SOWDIV

2014 SCCA GCR

Noted for the 2014 annual- thanks!! :)

jwr

jwr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Region:Southwest

The comma prior to the "or" separates the rule into two.  The first is named and therefore mandatory, the second is recommended.  

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

That is an incorrect interpretation.  There is no compelling language in the second sentence.

The comma prior to the "or" separates the rule into two.  The first is named and therefore mandatory, the second is recommended.  

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Yeah, that doesn't make sense.  The spec after the comma is for the flat padding.  All just recommended.  There are cheaper products of the same quality.

Domm Leuci

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users