pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79
I can tell you my Son Shawn can barely make the 2275 with at best a gallon of fuel left. He weighs anbout 190-195 and we have a MXL gauge and a small fire bottle, and that is pretty much it. We usually run thin tires and I have taken out all weight that is legal.

Pat

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

Mike, why would you call my post stirring the pot? Everyone talks about the 1.6 weight but minimal talk about the 99 weight.

EDIT: No one ever talks about being over weight in a 99. Hmmm....

What's the finished weight of a well done 99 with a minimal wall/tube cage & no driver?

In my tub up rotessiere built 99 I have a 5 lb fire system, 2 gauges, no other extras and I run 34 lb of ballast and I weigh 242 in my gear.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
I have 2 customers in 1.6 cars that weigh 220 plus and can be under weight.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
I am sure it is possible to make that weight Mike, with a little planning, I have the NASCAR bars on both side but didn't go far enough into the doors to remove the glass and panels, also don't know how much extra my cage adds, you can probably save some weight on that, but I have everything else you can take out of it legally. I am sure the cage is the variable that makes some heavier than others.

Pat

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

In my tub up rotessiere built 99 I have a 5 lb fire system, 2 gauges, no other extras and I run 34 lb of ballast and I weigh 242 in my gear.

Thanks Mike
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999

I have 2 customers in 1.6 cars that weigh 220 plus and can be under weight.

WOW....I weighed 225 last year in full gear in my 1.6 and the lowest I weighed post race with minimal fuel was 2297....and that was with a viscous diff. Now running a torsen and weigh 245....yikes!
Will have to stay off the scales unless by some miracle I have to weigh. Not sure I want to know..
..:o
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

I am sure the cage is the variable that makes some heavier than others.

I just saved about 20# using 13 ga footing and plinth rather than 3/16". It's almost 10# savings using 13 ga over 1/8". Did you take the AC condenser out and add an AC delete tube and remove all the E brake hardware?

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
all e brake parts are gone, glove box, some of the dash cluster, lighty weight steering wheel.

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
This has been debated multiple times before. Getting a car down to weight takes some thought and planning when building the car.

You must remove the dash during the build, the insulation blanket on the firewall is a real bitch to remove, but it weighs 17 pounds. The ac evaporator in the dash is another 4-5 and the air bag controllers are another 2 pounds.

Nascar bars only add about a foot of additional tubing or 4 pounds. Gutting the door completly is about 20 pounds per door. Net gain of 30 pounds.

Bondo weighs a lot. If your car has had body repair and you just layereed an inch of bondo on the quarter panel, you may have added 10 pounds.

I build a lite car, but not by using a lite cage. I use 1 5/8" tubing that adds 8 pounds of extra weight over 1/5" tubing. It is also about 60% stronger. My rear tubes go all the way back by the battery, I run both a rear diagonal and a rear cross bar in the trunk. My dash bar alone is 4 feet long. All together I have about 60 feet of tubing in the car. And I can still get a 1.6 with no driver no fuel down to about 2040. My 99s come in right around 2100.

We are finishing a new build on a very nice arizona chassis. No bondo that I can tell and no cool suit, gauges or other pound adders. When we finish in about a week, I will give you the exact weight.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68
And that's just the low hanging fruit. I thought I had my car as light as it would get last year but found another ten pounds over the winter, but t took a lot of thinking.

-bw

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

I build a lite car, but not by using a lite cage. I use 1 5/8" tubing that adds 8 pounds of extra weight over 1/5" tubing. It is also about 60% stronger.

How do you quantify that 60% number for a completed assembly?

When I looked at the footings I used formulae from Machinery's Handbook but the ones I used only determine static stress and theoretical deflection. I did it for twice the weight of the car, estimated at 4000#. The difference between using 3/16ths and 13 ga for those plate sizes were minimal. At that point the likely failure point is the vehicle structure, not the footings or plinith. If I had a light driver I'd use 1/4" as I could add another 40-50 lbs in equal points around the car instead of ballasting 50# on the passenger side. But I have a heavy driver that will be lucky to make 260# suited. And that is after the driver loses 40#.

Jason J Ball

Jason J Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Region:NASA-SE
  • Car Number:15
My first build ended up at 2285 with 25lbs of ballast, 2 gal of fuel, and driver 195 lbs in full gear w/Hans. I did not remove the firewall blanket, the tar sealant behind it, or the sealant in the trunk. All the airbag stuff was pulled. With the new one I have stripped the entire tub and was looking at removing the undercoating. But If it is only worth 8lbs spread over the entire car, is it really advantageous to be able to put it back on the floor in the passenger side?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jason J Ball

Jason J Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Region:NASA-SE
  • Car Number:15
I am using Dave W cage. Thanks Dave, saved my bacon in a side impact.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users