Jerry Cabe

Jerry Cabe

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Region:Cincy Region SCCA
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:10 SM

I have a friend that is planning to use my 1.6 with Springfield Exhaust for a Drivers School at Waterford Hills that has I  believe a 75 dB restriction.  I've never run there so I'm looking for suggestions from some of the Detroit area SM'ers that have.  My recollection is that I typically run 92-94 dB at Mid-Ohio as a reference point.  Would adding a "Super Trap" get me to an acceptable level, or will I need to look at adding more of a muffler?

Jerry Cabe
2014 Cincy Region Race Chair

"Just driving SM until the F1 is ready - Well the F-1 car is ready, but I'm not."

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:45

I have a friend who runs there, and runs the SD exhaust.   He says that they measure it from the lot line, not the track, and that he has no issues with his SD exhaust...USUALLY.   So I'm assuming the SuperTrapp would work just fine.

Tracy Ramsey
45 SM
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38
I would not bank on the SD exhaust making sound at Waterford. If you are on your own with no cars near you it is not likely to pass. A super trap will work with the SD exhaust. Make sure you sheld the top from the hot exhaust gasses and divert them down. Many have just slapped the Supertrap on and melted the rear bumper cover, bumper support and the panel that the license plate mounts to. Or the MBS exhaust passes sound without a problem. Fits much nicer than the SD does as well and no loss of power.
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

What Ralph said---or a brand new SD exhaust...   About 20 hours in they are too loud much of the time.

Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

75dB?  You'd probably have to park the car.  70dB is normal conversation.  The tires alone should beat that.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Number:11

Hijack....

So why do exhaust get louder?  What is changing?  I have seen that with SD, and Borla.   

If I wanted a 90db solution (Laguna Seca Club Level this year).  Would you go with MBS or Borla with their extra muffler?  Looking for Max power/torque while meeting the dB.

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Hijack....

So why do exhaust get louder?  What is changing?  I have seen that with SD, and Borla.   

If I wanted a 90db solution (Laguna Seca Club Level this year).  Would you go with MBS or Borla with their extra muffler?  Looking for Max power/torque while meeting the dB.

Typically, I can't so for all, exhaust get louder because with time and use, the baffling gets blown apart.  Corrosion and erosion from the high velocity exhaust gases takes it toll.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23

Borrow a street car exhaust?

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Number:88

Hijack....

Air temp and humidity can have a big effect on sound levels.  I've had days where EVERYONE was getting warned or penalized for noise and then later in the day, everyone was well inside the limits.

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Number:88

75dB?  You'd probably have to park the car.  70dB is normal conversation.  The tires alone should beat that.

It's a logarithmic scale, not a linear scale.  75dB is about 3.2x as loud as 70 and roughly equivalent to highway traffic at 30m. 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Total tangent:

Conversation in restaurant, office, background music,

60 Half as loud as 70 dB. Fairly quiet

Quiet suburb, conversation at home.

50 One-fourth as loud as 70 dB.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

My wife when really upset with me? One million dB?

Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year