Dave Lewis

Dave Lewis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:Detroit
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:86

Mazdacomp exhaust will fail w/1.6 and pass w/1.8, or the other way round. I forget. I'm old, ask Ralph or Dutch.

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:11

Does anyone know what dB the MBS does run at our pass?  90?  92?  97?  I'll shoot over an email to MBS as well. 

BTW, NA mazdacomp was very quite I had one for Laguna and never had an issue. 

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38
The MBS is more quite than the Mazdacomp
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Number:11

That seems amazing.  HP / TQ as good as an SD and the sound quieter than Mazdacomp.  Guess I am ordering...

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jerry Cabe

Jerry Cabe

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Region:Cincy Region SCCA
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:10 SM

Thanks for all the input; I may contact one of you in the near future to discuss in more detail once I decide which way to go.

Jerry Cabe
2014 Cincy Region Race Chair

"Just driving SM until the F1 is ready - Well the F-1 car is ready, but I'm not."

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

One unanswered question in this thread is whether an MBS exhaust meets MRLS's 90db limit - anyone?

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

We have dyno'd the MBS on multiple 1.6L cars and multiple occasions and it was not good.  Someone talked me into this thing saying it was the cats PJ's.  It sucked, all numbers went down.... I'm pretty sure It ended up on a chump car.  The piece is nicely built, but it didn't make the power.

I like Ralph and I don't discount what he is saying, I am just saying we saw something completely different.

If you are going with one of these exhaust systems I encourage you to dyno before and after the installation.  You can do it at the dyno and it will tell you for certain if it helped or not.  For Laguna we just bolt on an additional muffler in the old stock location like Saul said back on page 1.

Buyer beware......

Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38

The top power generating cars on my dyno had the MBS exhaust on them. We have puled cars with may different exhaust on them and across the averages the MBS works the best for us. I have no skin in the game with MBS but they work for me. Dan had Kooks make a very similar exhaust for him and he has seen gains with his as well. 

Sean I am not sure why you are not seeing the gains we are. I do have to change the tune from one exhaust to another. 

Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

Thanks Ralph... I never thought about changing the tune..... That must be it.

• 38bfast likes this
Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

My results agree with yours Sean..

I have never put an MBS on that worked as well, let alone better than an SD exhaust.. The MBS fits much better, looks better.. but does not perform as well. I have tested countless times in every way imaginable with a-b-b-a testing. We wasted two full days on the dyno a few years ago testing exhausts, plus, oils and several other things.. We wasted two days :(

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

mhiggins10

mhiggins10

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Region:SOWDIV
  • Car Year:1990

I have never put an MBS on that worked as well, let alone better than an SD exhaust.. The MBS fits much better, looks better.. but does not perform as well. I have tested countless times in every way imaginable with a-b-b-a testing. We wasted two full days on the dyno a few years ago testing exhausts, plus, oils and several other things.. We wasted two days :(

Jim

It's not necessarily a waste- at least now you know where to put the money in a build. :)

(And so do we- at least on the plugs and oils.  Thanks for sharing!)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Jim

Thanks for clarifying, Jim.  Post #16 indicated that you had found no difference, but I'm glad you chimed in.

On the suggestion of a couple of local guys, I'm getting a muffler attachment for my SD that will work at MRLS.  TC Design is the local race/fab shop.

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Today's question:  So, I can't get a MRLS exhaust fabbed up in time.  If I short-shifted all around the track, could I keep it under the 90 db?  Say 6000rpm, instead of 7000? (this is for a track day).

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Have you tried an elbow and turned it the opposite way of sound mic?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users