Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:12

At the last board meeting, we reviewed the tire survey sent to Group 7 racers from 2013 and took a vote on tires for 2014.  The result was a 4-3 decision resulting in:

* SM = national class, requires the national tire for dry and wet (Hoosier SM7 for dry, H20 for wet)

* SMT = regional class, requires EITHER Toyo RR or RA-1 (RA-1 for wet)

* SSM = regional class, requires the RA-1 for dry and wet

Keep in mind to qualify for the Runoffs via the Divisional/Regional route, you must enter "SM" which is a Nationally-eligible class. That will require the use of the Hoosiers, which is the tire that will be required at the Runoffs.

• Ron Alan likes this
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

What was the minority opinion?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Tire Decision

Minority opinion was RA-1 only for SMT/SSM.

In reading the survey responses, many racers made references to the tire being faster and providing cross over with NASA.  However, absent from their consideration are the inability to use an RA-1 as a rain tire and shave it down, the increased wear we're seeing on hubs and other consumables from stickier tires and the stratification of Group 7 racing should SSM and SMT be on different tires (where drivers of equal prep and talent were racing, now drivers on RRs are 1s/lap ahead strictly due to tires).

In my opinion, we should be on a single tire that prioritizes cost-effectiveness.  My argument was that tire is the RA-1.  I acknowledge it is an older, slower tire but it offers more flexibility in use and consumption and lets racers spend more of their dollars racing.  [Note that this was not a selfish bias as I'm running SM with Hoosiers.]  It wasn't until I looked at the survey results and built a pro/con list that I couldn't find a compelling reason to choose the RR other than "because I want to go faster".

Survey design is a tricky beast and in retrospect I think our survey questions were too narrowly presented.  It was my argument we should overrule the majority survey opinion but I was not persuasive enough.

Runoffs Qualifying:

To clear up a question I received: You can only qualify for the Runoffs in a National class.  SMT and SSM are not national classes and do not accrue National or Divisional points.  SMT and SSM are regional classes and may run at all race weekends with the exception of the Thunderhill Majors where only SM is eligible to participate.  If you run SM at the Thunderhill Majors, you will accrue both National and Divisional points.  If you run SM at any NorPac Divisional race (all SFR, OR or NW weekends), you will accrue Divisional points.  The Divisional threshold for Runoffs qualification is being in the top 5 in NorPac Division (guaranteed entry) OR in the top 50% of the NorPac Division points (entry subject to space availability).  

So, if you want to qualify for the Runoffs, regardless of attending Majors or Divisional races (and every single SFR, OR and NW race weekend is a Divisional weekend for 2014), then you must run SM and you must use the Hoosier per the National rules.

See this link for details (I recognize it is somewhat complicated, but it is accurate - step through it and you'll have your answer).

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:34

Brian,

Regarding Runoff qualifying, the link specifies for the 50% Divisional (non-Majors route that SFR negotiated for us): "Participate in 4 NORPAC weekends (includes all Regional & Majors races w/ SFR, OR & NWR)". Can you confirm that this is correct that the NORPAC points are based on BOTH Regional and Majors races? I would not have expected it to include the Majors races. (Did the NORPAC points previously include the National races in addition to regional races?)

Thanks!

-Juan

CheckerLap.com -- Your race results!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Can you confirm that this is correct that the NORPAC points are based on BOTH Regional and Majors races? 

*Every* race in NorPac in 2014 is a "Divisional" race:

http://www.sfrscca.o.../view/9511/292/

http://www.norpacscc...2014Runoffs.htm

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Number:51
I'm with you Brian, the RA-1 is the best all around tire. There might've been times when I didn't think this way, but after running all 3 options for a while I think we're better informed now.

Besides the obvious advantage of using the same tire for dry & wet, my favorite thing about RA-1's is that they aren't too easy to drive fast. With Hoosiers it seems that some drivers in the back part of the top ten can outspend the others & vault to the lead pack (talking regional racing here). On RA-1's, lesser skilled drivers get shuffled back as they make small errors.

Speed should not be much of a consideration IMO. But if it must be, we can find examples of RA-1 shod cars beating those on Hoosiers.
  • Brian Ghidinelli likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Thanks to Brian and the SFR region Board members. 

I'm hoping to get sealed and run SSM this year. 

• Brian Ghidinelli likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

tom1977

tom1977

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Region:Reno/SFR/NWR
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:86

Thank you for this post, as I had questions in my head and they are now answered.  Looking forward to racing with sfr soon

Will Schrader

Will Schrader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Number:87

We (Miatacage) have several sets of RRs left from the Miller NASA event at the end of last year. Most are shaved with very few heat cycles.

For 100.00 I will give you the "super secret tire pressures" and you can have four tires. We will be down to Laguna and T-hill.

Looking forward to racing in the sunshine!

• Juan Pineda likes this

Jeff Clark

Jeff Clark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:NW
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:07

Hi Will,

I'll take your 2 best sets. I have cash. :moon:

Thanks for referral to the gal that had the RX7 for sale.

Hope all is well.

Let me know when we can meet. Weekends preferred.

Also I have a chump-car racer coming up the 26th to pick up some parts.

Jeff Clark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users