RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:11

I have heard 99 fuel pumps have reliability issues.  So in this case the question is there an aftermarket one that provides better reliability?

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Info by Saul.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Number:11

Thanks Bench.  

Is there some experience w/ aftermarket pumps that others would like to share for a 99?   From the video it looks like the pump just wears out after a time and given the cars are 14 years old not that bad.  If we replaced an old pump with a new OEM we might expect similar lifetime which is fine.  But if there is a better pump or an equivalent for less that is interesting info as well. 

I used a Walburo in my RX-7.  Denso usually have a good rep... 

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn Davis

Glenn Davis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Region:WDCR/Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:TBD

Thanks Bench.  

Is there some experience w/ aftermarket pumps that others would like to share for a 99?   From the video it looks like the pump just wears out after a time and given the cars are 14 years old not that bad.  If we replaced an old pump with a new OEM we might expect similar lifetime which is fine.  But if there is a better pump or an equivalent for less that is interesting info as well. 

I used a Walburo in my RX-7.  Denso usually have a good rep... 

I agree.  Rewiring the connections for me would be easy, even more so if they include a harness.  The real worry would be that the cinch loop at the bottom of the OEM assembly is incompatible as has been stated previously.  I have not yet pulled my 2002 assembly out of the tank.  If it now looks like the Denso/Beck Armley configuration, I'll post pics.  I ended up returning the Amazon purchase and buying an OEM solution to be sure it's compatible.  Any chance that the 99-00 config was only used in those two years?

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mark McCallister

Mark McCallister

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:40

The "slow crank" that Mark mentions in the video - would that mean the engine cranks on the starter at normal speed but takes a long time to "catch", or that the engine turns over slowly until it finally fires, like it would due to a weak battery?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Number:51

Any chance that the 99-00 config was only used in those two years?

I "think" '99-'05 are the same but I could be wrong. It's actually happened before.

Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Number:51

Just received my pump from Mazda. The part number has been s/s several times so you can only order the "G" version at this point. The Denso pump is the G" version so it would be a direct replacement IF you have the latest style. Mazda send the whole assembly so no worries about splicing wires in the tank. I just have to remove the stock fuel restrictor and it's be ready to go. I'll keep the Denso as a backup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users