John Kimball

John Kimball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:75
Anybody have recommendations for insuring a race car?

I'm not looking for full coverage while on track, just while towing, and possibly while driving on the street to and from the shop. I'd also prefer it not to cost and arm and a leg.

Thanks!

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:88
I keep my SM registered in the state I live so I can road-test/bed brakes occasionally. My state requires liability insurance, which is all I have. The car is classed as a "weekend" car (that's not a lie) and the rate is very reasonable. I do not have a 'replacement value' policy, I would get Blue Book value of a stock 1991 Miata in the event of theft or fire. I would not use the words "race car" when speaking with your agent if you are just looking for minimum coverage.
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Kyle Burkhardt

Kyle Burkhardt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:NASA Midwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:12
You'll need two policies. One for the street and one for transport/paddock/storage. For the street, use the company you do for your others. For the other coverage, there are lots of companies out there. I use Heacock. It's declared value with a hefty deductible--but really its just there if it is stolen or burns to the ground anyway. I had $30k in coverage on my BMW for like $400 for the year.
Kyle Burkhardt
Team ///Miata #12
PajamaPants Racing
NASA Midwest
Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
K&K and Janowski sell those sorts of policies as well.

Gary Norris

Gary Norris

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:26
I'm an independent agent in Texas and did some research before representing anyone and found the Heacock policy to provide best coverage at reduced rates over the K&K coverages I reveiwed...

Gary Norris
Gary Norris

Gary Norris

Gary Norris

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:26

I'm an independent agent in Texas and did some research before representing anyone and found the Heacock policy to provide best coverage at reduced rates over the K&K coverages I reveiwed...let me add that this is coverage while in storage, to/from track, and in the paddock....not on the street...

Gary Norris

Gary Norris

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60
I don't know about your state, but in Kentucky if I am towing a trailer behind my insured tow vehicle, the trailer and anything on it is insured under the towing vehicle's coverage.

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year