Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

I'm dying to hear how well it went when your Dad told your Mom he crashed the Volkswagan (street car) in HPDE. :fight:

Maybe at TH. See you there.

J~

Scratch that, I have to be nice. Will your Dad be doing HPDE also??  :)

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Number:11

Thanks for a great weekend everyone, met some new people and hope to catch up with them again at Thunderhill. This was my first race after completing my rookie license so I pushed a little harder (it showed, went offroading a good few times :spin: ). Went into the weekend with the car reading 100psi compression on all cylinders, but it ran well and kept up on the straights so I believe it may be an issue with the starter? Hope so... (already jumped the battery and swapped compression gauges, same 100psi reading)

Anyways, I qualified 7th on both days and am extremely happy with that result. I ended up starting 22nd or 23rd in the first race because I forgot to fill up with gas (facepalm) but I made up eleven positions and finished 11th. Finished 9th on Sunday. Lots to learn still, but running with the top dogs for the first time was good motivation to compete in TMC next year.

Here is my video from Saturday. Sunday felt far better and that video will be up soon. Any tips or comments appreciated!

Hope to see more crossover events in the future.

-Matt

Hi Matt, 

Congrats!  Looks like some good racing.

That seems like a really good qualify and race result for only 100 PSI.   So if you battery is not healthy or your starter motor has an issue it can rotate more slowly and thus give lower PSI.  Leakdown would be good to measure and know for sure.  I think you have the sheets with the leakdown on the that engine.  

Most miatas have a starter problem once they get hot and won't appear to work, just a click.  But if you turn the key repeatedly they will work after a half a dozen tries.  I have found rebuilding them and cleaning them helps.

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Number:59

Scratch that, I have to be nice. Will your Dad be doing HPDE also??  :)

J~

There was surprisingly little reaction, especially considering he told her over the phone it was a "dent". He learned his lesson but I doubt he'll be back out again this year. Hope to see you at Thunderhill! (if not I'll have to borrow your coolsuit  :yep:)

Nice job Matt! 

Johnny the salt King....

Thanks Ron!

Hi Matt, 

Congrats!  Looks like some good racing.

That seems like a really good qualify and race result for only 100 PSI.   So if you battery is not healthy or your starter motor has an issue it can rotate more slowly and thus give lower PSI.  Leakdown would be good to measure and know for sure.  I think you have the sheets with the leakdown on the that engine.  

Most miatas have a starter problem once they get hot and won't appear to work, just a click.  But if you turn the key repeatedly they will work after a half a dozen tries.  I have found rebuilding them and cleaning them helps.

Hey David, the starter displays those symptoms even when it's cold, so I'm hoping it's just that or the solenoid not getting enough current. Going to do some diagnostics before Thill so we'll see!

On a side note, I want to compete at the 25hrs of Thunderhill this year. If anyone has tips on how to find a seat, I would love to hear them. Send me a PM!

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

:)  FYI, the site is a Wikipedia of info, use the search function, Setup guide is in the downloads, (Up top^^) Top pro drivers are here as well to help.

We rib and smack talk but all in good fun, you've seen what happen when you blow your diff.

25's on my bucket list too. A WERC's night time races are good practice with multi class, closing rates of faster cars at night, It's a whole different ball game.

If you need help on a cool suit setup, there's links on how to build one and we can help. you still need the shirt.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Number:59

Here is onboard from Sunday's race.

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users