Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23
I have a Meathead NA 1.8 engine (long block) that was pulled from my '95 SM last year. It ran well when removed from the car but was a bit down on power (about 112-113 whp). Leak down results indicated that it was in need of a head rebuild.

I'm debating keeping it and pulling it apart for the educational value or selling it. Problem is, I have no idea what it's worth. Anybody here have an idea what's a fair price for this motor? It looks nice and clean if that helps. :-)

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999
Hey Michael....hope you are doing well. Miss you up here. Anyways, HP does seem low but if bottom end appears sound, then I would just send out the head and have it rebuilt. I presume that the head is a good one and therefore worth freshening.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23
Hey, Bill! I'm doing fine and hope you are, too.

I just sold my '95 SM so I won't be rebuilding this motor. I bet this motor just needs a refreshening. Bottom end seems fine.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I have a Meathead NA 1.8 engine (long block) that was pulled from my '95 SM last year. It ran well when removed from the car but was a bit down on power (about 112-113 whp). Leak down results indicated that it was in need of a head rebuild.
I'm debating keeping it and pulling it apart for the educational value or selling it. Problem is, I have no idea what it's worth. Anybody here have an idea what's a fair price for this motor? It looks nice and clean if that helps. :-)

What Bill Said! The bottom end on my car is 19 years old and 63k original miles. The original head was hogged out and ported(kidding!)at the beginning of 2011. It has averaged 4-5 weekends a year since then. The motor has been money shifted a half dozen times(3/2 instead of 3/4)and it eats oil like I drink beer...but we don't seem to be able to kill it...though every event I say this is going to be it! I finally dynoed it after 2 years just to see where it was at...it made 121/115...best numbers I've seen! It will run another race or 2!
  • Mike Collins, Joe (dad) Jordan and Michael Colangelo like this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users