• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Kevin Ward, Jr., was wearing a HANS at the time of his death. Why didn't someone tell him that it did not offer protection against getting hit by a sprint car.

Maybe if we all wore inflatable bubbles...

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

But the evidence for basilar skull fractures is too overwhelming to allow racing without HANS any more. .

I was at a 4 mile road racing course this past weekend with the event being put on by a race org. that's been around for 50 years. No head and neck restraint required. Recomended, but not required.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Johnny, I would indeed feel like shit. And notice that I place more blame on orginizers than I do Tony. However, Tony should know better, and yet he has been one of the biggest offenders of bad character demonstrations.

Tell you who knew that was going to happen? I guess I can't Johnny, except for me. I would have told you that odds are soemthing like that would happen. But I accept your characterization that the majority of racers are incapable of predicting something like this happening. Ok then, but don't complain when the organizers treat us like brain dead toddlers. I guess if you were in charge and saw a competitor jumping out of a good race car for the first time and approach cars angrily to yell at the driver, you would continue to allow that until someone was killed. I guess that I had hoped that we were smarter than that and could actually envision circimstance before actually having to live through them everytime.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

The Millions of people sitting at home watching this, I know said, "there should be a rule against this", right ??

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=eiDT6_411w0

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Kevin Ward, Jr., was wearing a HANS at the time of his death. Why didn't someone tell him that it did not offer protection against getting hit by a sprint car.

Maybe if we all wore inflatable bubbles...

Yeah, that was my point S.A. , that is what I am trying to say. That we all need to be guaranteed safety at all times and that racing shouldn't be dangerous. Maybe if we didn't walk around with our head up our asses we would be able to see oncoming dangers too.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

I was at a 4 mile road racing course this past weekend with the event being put on by a race org. that's been around for 50 years. No head and neck restraint required. Recomended, but not required.

Bad move on their part IMO Bench. Like saying helmets are reccomended but not required.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Interesting read, July 10, 2014 North Carolina article.

Have you ever been hurt and someone told you that you deserved it? That might have been an insult on top of your injury, but it’s a feeling you ought to acquaint yourself with if you feel you have a legal case against someone but your injury was partly your fault. In North Carolina, even if you were a little bit at fault, your case can be dismissed. Courts in the Tar Heel State do not apportion blame between victims who are partly at fault and those who injure them, who are mostly at fault.

North Carolina is one of the few states in the United States that still employs a doctrine known as pure contributory negligence. In many personal injury cases, it makes or breaks the case. If you admit you were to blame, in part, for your injury, many North Carolina lawyers won’t take your case.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Pat Ross

Pat Ross

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:72

Jamz14,

Unless I overlooked it, you failed to place some of the blame on those most responsible for teaching their child to not do stupid things, the parents.  In today's society it appears that we want to blame everyone but the parents for what their children do.  Organizations shouldn't have to mandate that drivers don't get out of their cars while the track is live, that is just common sense.  We teach our children not to go out and play on a busy highway.  You would think that sometimes during the 15 years that Kevin Ward was racing you would have thought that he was taught that it was a stupid thing to get out of his car on a hot track and challenge cars not to hit him.

Pat

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

I just saw a video that showed the kid did not get run over but grabbed  the wing and was eventually thrown to the ground

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

I just saw a video that showed the kid did not get run over but grabbed  the wing and was eventually thrown to the ground

And the video address would be where???

Never mind Pat, I Googled the video. Interesting what's said and shown.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Come on you guys how can you blame parents? It takes a village to raise a child...

I think Mazda should be blamed for those stupid Chevy ignition switches its probably just the second pearl harbor???

I also think pork farmers are responsible for bacteria in poultry packaging facilities.

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Yeah, that was my point S.A. , that is what I am trying to say. That we all need to be guaranteed safety at all times and that racing shouldn't be dangerous. Maybe if we didn't walk around with our head up our asses we would be able to see oncoming dangers too.

You'd be better off referring to "SA" as Mr. Goddammit or Mr. Omygosh.  

In a way the waiver we all sign offers some form of protection.  Protection against crazy acts like someone running onto a race track.  I have a hard time looking past the decision to run onto the race track as the single largest factor in this and I don't see that Tony tried to hurt him.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac

It is interesting talking to my friends and family about this incident. The 'racers' in my focus group side predominately with exonerating Tony of blame while the non-racers are very much on the other side of the fence. It will be interesting should this incident go to a trial in terms of the jury make up. The deck is stacked on this one for sure if it goes that far. 

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Come on you guys how can you blame parents? It takes a village to raise a child.

And these days we are told the government knows best...why are they taking no responsibility?? Oh yeah...Holder is busy stirring the racist stew.

Speaking of stirring the pot...Johnny and Denny sucked you in James!

Though I certainly understand the point you are trying to make James...very difficult to assess blame to those other than the one individual who made a bad decision/ choice. Common sense can't be overlooked as someone said. NASCAR has now put into writing what was pretty obvious to 99% of drivers. My guess is had it been just some local driver who hit Kevin ward NASCAR would not have responded.
  • FTodaro likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Jamz14,

Unless I overlooked it, you failed to place some of the blame on those most responsible for teaching their child to not do stupid things, the parents. In today's society it appears that we want to blame everyone but the parents for what their children do. Organizations shouldn't have to mandate that drivers don't get out of their cars while the track is live, that is just common sense. We teach our children not to go out and play on a busy highway. You would think that sometimes during the 15 years that Kevin Ward was racing you would have thought that he was taught that it was a stupid thing to get out of his car on a hot track and challenge cars not to hit him.

Pat

I'm sorry, but my son does some dumb ass things, and I am not taking responsibly for it. He makes his Own mistakes.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

It's a BIG leap to say NASCAR is culpable for this accident, and then just a short hop to say all motorsports are guilty. I seen plenty of bad driver behavior in all forms of racing, including club racing. (meanwhile USAC is saying "WTF did I do, I wasn't even there.")

Unfortunately NASCAR will still pay a price for this tragedy. Sponsors were already iffy (e.g. the National Guard), now they are really going to think twice before sinking millions into something that may not represent them well. Tony Stewart's career may be over because of sponsors disassociating themselves.

And I sure the counselors in the audience can see that the Ward family is already ramping up for the civil suit.

Sacre Bleu indeed !

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Waterboy

Waterboy

MEATHEAD Racing Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Number:15

Ok then, but don't complain when the organizers treat us like brain dead toddlers.

Isn't that exactly what you are saying you want, for them to treat us like brain dead toddlers.  I know I shouldn't get out of my car on a hot race track.  I don't need someone else telling me that.  If I do and if I pay the ultimate price, it's my fault not someone else's.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Isn't that exactly what you are saying you want, for them to treat us like brain dead toddlers.  I know I shouldn't get out of my car on a hot race track.  I don't need someone else telling me that.  If I do and if I pay the ultimate price, it's my fault not someone else's.

Here, Here!

But me thinks jamzer is mossly complaining about the example that has been set watching Tony and others throwing helmets at passing cars after an on track incident or guys fist fighting on pit road.  

It is entertaining, maybe thats why Jerry Springer is still on TV after all these years and hookers later! :)

it is also so very unfortunate that it has excalated and ended in the death of a young man. :(

• FTodaro likes this

K. Webb