RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:57

Looking for a fairly quick and easy way to turn long, boring race weekend videos into something shorter and more interesting.

I have MovieMaker but have not found it intuitive, easy or fast.

From my recent Barber weekend I have video from my two cameras (forward and rearward facing), plus video files from two competitors (QuickTime and .MP4).

Nice to have features: Picture within a picture, soft transitions, ability to add text/comments, drag and drop (or something similar), storyboard view.  Also, I'd like to overlay TraqMate data.

The software doesn't need to be free, but I don't want to spend much money.

Thanks very much in advance.

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

tynor

tynor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Region:Atlanta

I've been using Sony Vegas HD 11 to do PIP.   Not exactly intuitive (to me), but I was able to find a couple of tutorials via google that got me going.  It's not too expensive - I think I paid about $25...

The real problem is that my laptop is pretty underpowered and it takes several hours to render a full 20-30 minute race video at 1080p...  (it wasn't as noticably slow when I was capturing 720p video with my old setup).

• RussMcB likes this

Steve Tynor

'99 SM

Atlanta, GA

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

+1 for the Sony product (Between ~$30 and $90 depending on what features you want).  Been using it for years and it works well.  I don't know if "easy" would be how I'd describe any editing package that has a lot of options/power.  But there are youtube vids and web pages that go over all the features, so it is quick enough to learn on the fly.  They changed the interface around in version 13, and I preferred the old interface, but that could just be because I was familiar with it.

• RussMcB likes this

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Glenn Davis

Glenn Davis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Region:WDCR/Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:TBD

Cyberlink Power Director.  Options at all price points.

You're talking about a multi-stage project.  First, create "raw" PIP video with CPD.  Next create Traqmate overlay of "raw" video with TraqStudio.  Then, back to CPD for cuts, effects, etc.

• RussMcB likes this
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92

I'm told by my turboNerd buddy that an external hard drive can make rendering video much faster. Use it as the "save to" location, that way your laptop isn't trying to read from and write to the same hard drive at the same time, which makes it take longer.

Haven't tried it myself yet. 

• RussMcB likes this

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RacerX

RacerX

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:51

I like RaceRender which also incorporates data.

steve

steve

CFO MEATHEAD Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Number:90

RaceRender for ease of combining video files with Traqmate data, and then MovieMaker to cut extraneous video, add graphics, etc.

STEVE

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

Ditto on Vegas though as others have mentioned it's definitely not intuitive but that may be due to how "professionals" use the software (workflow vs. task-based).

Glen is correct in that you need to first create you PIP video (using whatever product), then parsing that though whatever overlay product (RaceRender seems to be a very good product) with your accompanying data file (appropriately synchronized for start time of your video).  

I've not used RR but it strikes me as a fairly easy(ier) to use & cheaper product than paying the exorbitant price for TM's TraqStudio ($200 last I checked).

And to the point about using a separate hard drive - it's a good idea but doing so depends upon your external drive connector.  I'd not try this on anything less than a USB3 port/drive as your final rendering will hammer the CPU and the earlier versions of USB require interrupting the CPU to move data...

HTH!

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Number:60

If you are going to go to the trouble of using a second drive, I'd personally go with a SSD.  Honestly I'd never run Windows again without having it on an SSD.

• Derrick Ambrose likes this

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Chris D.

Chris D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:SM #40

I've been using a program called Boilsoft for a couple of years now.   I think it was maybe $30 and it is VERY easy to use.   All I do is trim GoPro videos down to a more reasonable size, so I am not sure what other capabilities it has. 

Chris Dilluvio

Farmington Hills, MI

Nine Lives Johnny

Nine Lives Johnny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Georgia
  • Car Number:477

i run an AIM smartycam. it's really nice and starts recording when you start moving. if you plug it into a SOLO DL it will charge the camera too. 

Please ignore my seriously slow corner speeds. i had clutch issues and it was stuck in 5th.  

powerss

powerss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Region:ARiZONA
  • Car Number:145

Cyberlink Power Director.  Options at all price points.

You're talking about a multi-stage project.  First, create "raw" PIP video with CPD.  Next create Traqmate overlay of "raw" video with TraqStudio.  Then, back to CPD for cuts, effects, etc.

+1-  Easiest PIP I have found.  It also uses ghost files that make the editing faster.

Steven Powers
Arizona Region
2009 SoPAC Division Champion
2013 SoPAC Division Champion
2019 Western Conference Champion

Bekmanis

Bekmanis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

AppGeeker (http://www.appgeeker.com) video editor works well and is easy to use, especially if you only need to do basic things. 

naparsei

naparsei

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Car Number:#38

I've been using a program called Boilsoft for a couple of years now.   I think it was maybe $30 and it is VERY easy to use.   All I do is trim GoPro videos down to a more reasonable size, so I am not sure what other capabilities it has. 

GoPro has its own, free, editing software. It's not amazing, but it works, even if your footage does not come from one of their cameras.

dbednarz

dbednarz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Region:Detroit
  • Car Number:68

Would Sony Movie Maker 13 be the comparable current product to the Sony Vegas HD11?  Been trying to find an entry level PIP software that can run a higher resolution.  This appears to have decent editing power to merge a front and rear camera. It is worth $50 to me,  but the pro versions at $400 are more than what I am looking for.

Microsoft Encoder has a free version,  but the video quality is poor.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

Sony renamed their latest revision of products but yeah, their basic one (MM13) would be their entry level one.  Not sure if it has the same interface I'm experienced with (as I noted above, workflow vs. task-based) but I've since purchased their latest "non-Pro Vegas" and am still happy with it.

I've tried MS's offerings and been left wanting on all fronts and event went as far as to pay for HitFilm3 but was unimpressed with its performance.  Chugged my i7 laptop (with 8GB RAM & 500GB SSD) to no end and ultimately wasn't usable in the least.

Give the Sony a shot and I think you'll be happy.

• dbednarz likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users