steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:92

I think allowing the 06+ cars in is a VERY bad idea!

Like Jim said, all they share with the older cars is the name plate and we might as well let Hondas and whoever else runs similar lap times in with us. Wait, isn't that the P(roduction/arade)/ I(m)T(ired of getting beat by Miatas) run group?

We need to fix the ambiguous rule, get both sanctioning bodies on board completely including tires, and go back to hard racing.

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

I think allowing the 06+ cars in is a VERY bad idea!

Like Jim said, all they share with the older cars is the name plate and we might as well let Hondas and whoever else runs similar lap times in with us. Wait, isn't that the P(roduction/arade)/ I(m)T(ired of getting beat by Miatas) run group?

We need to fix the ambiguous rule, get both sanctioning bodies on board completely including tires, and go back to hard racing.

Sounds like 04 discussions of the NB sans the "Honda" comparison :raincloud:

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dickweed

Dickweed

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Perhaps an un-corked NB can hang with a corked NC if done properly...  Just sayin

• Glenn likes this

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Can't find it but there was a nice video of what happens when you mix NB and NCs at the 2011 ARRC.  Blame who you want for the crash, more of the same will happen. 

• Jim Drago likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Can't find it but there was a nice video of what happens when you mix NB and NCs at the 2011 ARRC.  Blame who you want for the crash, more of the same will happen. 

Wow now that's a stretch!  I can show you plenty of video of SM/SM carnage as well as MX5/MX5 bashing.

Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Wow now that's a stretch!  I can show you plenty of video of SM/SM carnage as well as MX5/MX5 bashing.

Ask any of those involved if it is stretch.  Almost nobody wanted the NC mixed in with the NBs at that race.  MIke Collins might not see it that way, but the others involved in the accident were not happy before the race and surely not happy after the race. 

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Dickweed

Dickweed

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Ask any of those involved if it is stretch.  Almost nobody wanted the NC mixed in with the NBs at that race.  MIke Collins might not see it that way, but the others involved in the accident were not happy before the race and surely not happy after the race. 

Hard for me to blame the car for the drivers actions

• Glenn likes this

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

I was there, the NC should NOT have been seperated and put to the back.  He should have run based on his Q time.  He did so as not to mix up with the SM's at the start, guess the plan was better than the actual implementation, but the mixing of NB/NC had NOTHING to do with the escapade at 10A

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

What was the plan?   Ah there you go, he was suppose to be faster and drive away from the SMs.  I guess that didn't work out, so was it Mikes fault he didn't fall in line or Danny's fault for getting pissed and turning him when the plan didn't happen?   You clearly blame one of the two drivers.  I'll stick with my theory, the cars don't mix well, causing frustration and bad decision making.  See all the time in Chump Car, alphabet soup classes when I drive STL in SM trim.  The F Prods kill me in the straights but are horribly driven.    

You can argue all you want to bring the NCs into the class but that will cause 5x the trouble that bringing the NBs in did.  I won't be part of it.  I love SM but that change will force me to find another class or just quit racing.  

• steveracer likes this

tferranti

tferranti

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Number:51

Do not bring the NC into SM.  SM5 is the class for that.  The cars are too different.

• steveracer likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

You clearly blame one of the two drivers. .  

Nope I blame BOTH, and poor Skip got the unfortunate end to his weekend.  

I dont have a dog in the hunt any longer, what Im saying is that the future is not very far away.  ND's coming out soon, Playboy Cup cars for sale, old technology cars becoming obsolete, Mazda wanting to keep thier product in the "lime light".....math seems pretty simple to me.  Embrace the change.....or get run over by it, but its coming either way....if I had to "guess".......

Dickweed

Dickweed

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts

With the lack of competitive NA's at the runoffs, Why wouldn't Mazda/SCCA want to move the class forward with the NB vs NC ? Let the NA have it's own SM2 class  

If properly done with RP and weight the NC could start out as the underdog and in due time become the overdog.

I'm confident that Mazda wants to keep up with the times and bring the class into the 2000's. Sorry to all the NA owners but that's whats coming 

• Mike Collins likes this

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Man, i just built a VVT Car, I hate to think i am already going to be behind the curve. Where are those guys always complaining about the cost to compete?

I have not done much homework on the MX5 only to say that Novak has been in my ear for two years to build one. I have heard they are not that much fun/easy to drive as the 99+ cars but that is not vary scientific. Change will happen like it or not, as Mike C. said its only a matter of time. I am not sure we are there yet but that is likely a true statement.

This topic does bring out one point for those in the other threads talking about rule creep and the "good Old Days" this is an ever changing class, in my mind as it should be. Times change things change, some good, some not as good. I think those at the helm are doing the best they can, with our input, to make the right call on moving the class.

We will figure it out, i just think its still a bit too soon.

There may come a day when we have to look at this class where we have regional and national/majors rule distinctions. Meaning, making the 1.6 or other models Regional racing only. that keeps the cost for them down and allows different parity rules in the major's class.

something would have to change as it would be a challenge to make 4 different versions equal.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Can't find it but there was a nice video of what happens when you mix NB and NCs at the 2011 ARRC. Blame who you want for the crash, more of the same will happen.

Hmmmmm, we just started 81 cars at VIR including an SM5, SRFs, all manor of IT classes, a Spec B and an AS Caddy CTS-V. All made it through lap 1.

If properly done with RP and weight the NC could start out as the underdog and in due time become the overdog.

Boy, have we heard that before.

• Jim Drago likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Man, i just built a VVT Car, I hate to think i am already going to be behind the curve.

We will figure it out, i just think its still a bit too soon.

There may come a day when we have to look at this class where we have regional and national/majors rule distinctions. Meaning, making the 1.6 or other models Regional racing only. that keeps the cost for them down and allows different parity rules in the major's class.

something would have to change as it would be a challenge to make 4 different versions equal.

Point one above, how's it feel? 

Point two above, not to soon at all.

Point three above is rather arrogant, some would call your point three exclusionary.

Point four, with my best inclusion vision for year 2015 based on spec line.

No seperation of classes  for any races.

1990/1993 SMA

1995/1997 SMB

1999/2000 SMC

2001/2005 SMD

Newer spec line SME  

Frank and others, SMA through SME classes is very doable and inclusionary for all Spec Miata race car owners. Or break up the spec lines for the best inclusionary classes. When the SMA cars fade away, so be it. It's a natural progression without the leader of the pack saying, you  1.6, cheap a$$es always bitcing about parity need to go. Any issues can be straightened out before the get-go. :bigsquaregrin:

• Glenn likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
You guys all wanted SM5 up there.. so run it up there :) All told us how great it is/ was and going to be.. kind of like B spec. If as good as all claim, there is no need to merge with SM, It should/could sustain itself.
  • Bench Racer likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

With the lack of competitive NA's at the runoffs, Why wouldn't Mazda/SCCA want to move the class forward with the NB vs NC ? Let the NA have it's own SM2 class  

I'm confident that Mazda wants to keep up with the times and bring the class into the 2000's. Sorry to all the NA owners but that's whats coming 

Mr. Richard Weed, let me see if I have this right.  You want the NC's which already have their own class to compete in the SM class and you want part of the SM class (NA cars) to take a hike and run on their own?

What is so special about these NC cars that they should be given this treatment and all others should bow to thee?  If the NC car is such a hot shyt piece, why has the SM5 class not grown on its' own?  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Mr. Richard Weed,

:thumbsup:     :rotfl:

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
while I like Mr Weeds avatar.. I dislike anonymous posters

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Dickweed

Dickweed

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Mr. Richard Weed, let me see if I have this right.  You want the NC's which already have their own class to compete in the SM class and you want part of the SM class (NA cars) to take a hike and run on their own?

What is so special about these NC cars that they should be given this treatment and all others should bow to thee?  If the NC car is such a hot shyt piece, why has the SM5 class not grown on its' own?  

Tom, you can call me Dick

I think I'm just stating the obvious. How many competitive NA's are competing at the national level? Why wouldn't Mazda want to move SM forward into this mellenium?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users