24 replies to this topic

Simon Tibbett

Simon Tibbett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:77

Hello everyone, I have been looking at buying a Spec Miata for a while now, probably early 2015, however I need a car with a title. I was recently told most SMs will not have titles, is this because many are salvage cars or because the titles were just lost over the years?

I know this is sort of a vague question and a half job at doing market research but just seeing what my chances are of finding one with a title.  :tipsy:

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

I am sure they are some SM with titles.  Or you could buy a street Miata and have it built into an SM.

However, whoever told you that most SM's don't have titles is likely right.  Most of us don't need or worry about having one.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Squatters rights as good as a title for many of us.   

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Simon Tibbett

Simon Tibbett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I guess I should have said why I care. The shop space I rent is about ten minutes from Road Atlanta so I have always just driven my past race cars to the track. I'm on too tight of a budget for a trailer. lol

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:57

Hello everyone, I have been looking at buying a Spec Miata for a while now, probably early 2015, however I need a car with a title. I was recently told most SMs will not have titles, is this because many are salvage cars or because the titles were just lost over the years?

I know this is sort of a vague question and a half job at doing market research but just seeing what my chances are of finding one with a title.  :tipsy:

Simon, you've piqued my interest.  Why the need for a title (if you don't mind me asking)?

on edit - Never mind.  You beat me to it.  :-)

It's been quite a while since I've seen someone drive their race car to the track.  Going Old School.  :-) 

Will you be at Rd Atl this weekend (for the ARRC)?  If yes, stop by and say Hi.

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Simon Tibbett

Simon Tibbett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Simon, you've piqued my interest.  Why the need for a title (if you don't mind me asking)?

JUST answered that right when you posted. lol

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
My SM is titled and has even been Street legal with plates and inspections in the past.

Of course, it's not for sale so doesn't help you much. ;-)

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Yep, it's a challenge to find an SM with a title since they get lost as the car changes hands.  

There are about 7 in SFR that have cars with titles, registered and drive them to and from the races.  I don't any longer but I can if I wanted to. :)

Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Number:51

Two years ago while transporting my Spec Miata to a local body shop I was pulled over at a police traffic stop looking for stolen cars in all trucks and trailers. When I told them I didn't have a title they wanted to run the VIN# but it had been removed. After making a few phone calls they were threatening to confiscate it. Fortunately for me I knew one of the cops and I could produce a sales receipt from the original builder so after a hour they let me go. I've purchased a few Miatas since then and have always requested a title.

Brian129

Brian129

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

there are some,  it really depends on who builds them.  

Mine is a home built, and I have the title for it.  I even keep it tagged, I would never take it to the mountains for a little fun :nonono:  :glare:  

Attached Files

CARacer

CARacer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1991

Yes, for some reason most people throw the titles of their SMs away. That's annoying, but not a deal-breaker, for those of us that drive the SM to the track. A teammate of mine here in California bought an SM with no title, but with a bill of sale at the DMV it was easy to get another one. Not sure about Georgia. 

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Number:60

One other reason is that Mazda often offers "loyalty cash" if you are already an owner of a Madza when you are purchasing a new car.  They'd only accept a title/registration.  Luckily my SM came with one.  IIRC it was $500, nothing to sneeze at.

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Terry Hanushek

Terry Hanushek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Region:South Jersey

The bank needs to put a lien on it as part of the financing  smile.gif

T

Simon Tibbett

Simon Tibbett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Yes, for some reason most people throw the titles of their SMs away. That's annoying, but not a deal-breaker, for those of us that drive the SM to the track. A teammate of mine here in California bought an SM with no title, but with a bill of sale at the DMV it was easy to get another one. Not sure about Georgia. 

My last race car was said to have a title but it ended up being lost. I ended up selling it but it would have taken getting a bonded title, a police inspection to run the VIN, etc. Possible but a lot of paperwork, headache, and extra money it sounded like. 

The bank needs to put a lien on it as part of the financing  smile.gif

T

Not a bad idea! lol

Diller

Diller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Number:13

This has me interested. I have the title to my SM and never thought about getting it tagged but it would be nice to take it to the gas station to make sure it still goes down the road straight before I get to the track.

Anybody have trouble getting tags for a race car? No emissions testing for me so that should be good but I would hate to be pulled over and ticketed for non-dot seat belts or something like that. Guess I would need to get my blinkers to work again.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I can tell you if your going to scrap your car after a big wreck at Road America for example, they will not take the car as scrap without a title. IF you do not have a title you have to cut it up and then scrap.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Does a junk title count?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

junk title is ok if it is transfered into your name, just having the pice of paper is not good enough.

K. Webb