Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

John, Can you say you were in a greement with most of it being said and going forward, or you may be going a different direction ?

J~

• Bill Etherington likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

I don't know anything about what is being discussed.  What I do know is that when a small group of people sit around a table and come to a decision rest assured it is not what is best for the masses. When the discussions are being held without input from those most directly impacted by those decisions I can guarantee the decisions are not trivial.  

Therefore my conclusion is that there are major rules changes being discussed, not just weights and plates.  

If i am right, then NASA would be silly to follow the course of their big brother.  NASA is a business looking to claim market share.  I think they have done a great job over the last 3 years earning my money.  If I owned NASA, I would be advertising to the whole SM community that we believe the class needs some tweaks but no major changes and these are my tweaks. 

1. Increase 1.6 tq

2. bigger plate for NA 1.8.

3. 99 same

4 01-up not sure but will evaluate as the season progresses

rewrite the rule on the plunge cut to have some specific tools and measurements for work that can be done. 

Then i would watch as more and more people came to the class.  If i was wrong I could always go back to kissing my big brothers a$$.

If you're referring the the latest SMAC discussions bout parity... I can pretty much say their ideas and discussion was made obsolete by our meeting in Topeka yesterday.  

I'm not at liberty to fully reply to your comments right now except there will be changes, weight and plates will part of the solution too (for parity).  No concrete details were discussed yesterday, mainly a direction to maintain the longterm health of the class with compliance measures.  Parity will be next.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

If you're referring the the latest discussions bout parity from the SMAC I can pretty much say their ideas and discussion was made obsolete by our meeting in Topeka yesterday.  

I'm not at liberty to fully reply to your comments right now except there will be changes, weight and plates will part of the solution too (for parity).  No concrete details were discussed yesterday, mainly a direction to maintain the longterm health of the class with compliance measures.

How is something that is from the very committee that is suppose to steer the SCCA towards what the "racers in SM" may or may not want, rendered obsolete?  

We had 3 years of no change to let the dust settle on development.  The 1.6s and the NA 1.8s took it on the chin.  If they didn't do something to make these cars more competitive then they might as well just tell us we are all running 99+ cars and to shut the fuckk up and take it like a man.  

At that point they should pull all the plates and let the 99+s have at it. 

Don't piss down my back and tell me its raining.  

• B(Kuch)Kucera45 likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

If you're referring the the latest discussions bout parity from the SMAC I can pretty much say their ideas and discussion was made obsolete by our meeting in Topeka yesterday.  

I'm not at liberty to fully reply to your comments right now except there will be changes, weight and plates will part of the solution too (for parity).  No concrete details were discussed yesterday, mainly a direction to maintain the longterm health of the class with compliance measures.

Is there a target then for when the status of what is being discussed will be disclosed. Hopefully any information coming from the big wig wamm will be in the form of ideas for the class going out to the participants for comment and input.

I am gratified to hear that no final decisions have been made.

that would be like me buying a new car today and coming home and telling the wife what i did. Out of respect, I would seek her agreement, build consensus that this is the right direction and with input craft a final plan.

Or am I in La La Land with Danny?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

https://video.search...1-s&fr2=piv-web

J~

• pat slattery likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Is there a target then for when the status of what is being discussed will be disclosed. Hopefully any information coming from the big wig wamm will be in the form of ideas for the class going out to the participants for comment and input.

I am gratified to hear that no final decisions have been made.

that would be like me buying a new car today and coming home and telling the wife what i did. Out of respect, I would seek her agreement, build consensus that this is the right direction and with input craft a final plan.

Or am am in in La La Land with Danny?

You didn't read between the lines well enough,  "I'm not at liberty to fully reply to your comments right now except there will be changes"   Sountds like the decision have been made they just want us to stew for a while so they can finish patting themselves on the back.  Again if I am John, I say thank you for letting me watch you guys ignore your customers and I will get back to you.  Then go write the new rules with input from my customers and count the money. 

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Or the decision was what to put in front of the full board for a vote, as I think was already stated. I'm pretty sure you can wait a few more hours, or even another day for that. Then, if needed, we can debate whether they were in too much of a hurry and should have paused for feedback.
  • john mueller likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Or the decision was what to put in front of the full board for a vote. I'm pretty sure you can wait a few more hours, or even another day.

We have been waiting for weeks.  whats another day will it make or break us one way or another probably not. I still hate waiting though!

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

You didn't read between the lines well enough,  "I'm not at liberty to fully reply to your comments right now except there will be changes"   Sountds like the decision have been made they just want us to stew for a while so they can finish patting themselves on the back.  Again if I am John, I say thank you for letting me watch you guys ignore your customers and I will get back to you.  Then go write the new rules with input from my customers and count the money. 

You have no idea so you should just stop.  This stuff is hard.  If you think you can do better then volunteer and help fix the problems.  If not, stop speculating and creating havoc.

NASA doesn't need member support, we make changes based on the information we have to best meet our customers needs.  NASA believes what was discussed is in the best needs of our customers.  We didn't bend knee for anyone, we were an active participant in the discussion and steered the direction at many times...  As I said, SCCA, Mazda and NASA agree completely with the direction and measures to keep folks compliant.  

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Or the decision was what to put in front of the full board for a vote, as I think was already stated. I'm pretty sure you can wait a few more hours, or even another day for that. Then, if needed, we can debate whether they were in too much of a hurry and should have paused for feedback.

I am not an expert on SCCA protocol, but in the past i have seen that rule changes are proposed, go out for comment, then we add the view point of the paying customer, and then they decide.

Am i wrong?

John, I do not envy your job. I am grateful for you and others like you. Any frustration I might pass along would never be personal or directed at anyone, BTW. 

• MPR22 likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Be happy to volunteer.  Be happier to just have a vote.  

You actually think I have no idea of how this shit works?  I have or currently sit on more boards than you have ever even thought about.  The way this is being handled is beyond me.

SIGN ME THE FUCKK UP>  I actually listen to people and can articulate a position. If this is all super top secret stuff that can't be discussed then quit posting yourself and go back to the board room.   

• Mike Collins, pat slattery and Jim Drago like this

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I am not an expert on SCCA protocol, but in the past i have seen that rule changes are proposed, go out for comment, then we add the view point of the paying customer, and then they decide.

Am i wrong?

You are correct sir, that seems to be the norm, but not necessarily a requirement. This is not a typical rule-change situation and they may feel it needs to be decided quickly and by a select panel of experts.
  • mellen likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

mdavis

mdavis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Region:Texas

Everyone does realize that SRF is changing engines right?  I think the cost to the competitors is around 3-4k.  Do not know the details of how this change came about or was voted upon but SCCA does have a history of making big changes in their most popular classes.

One final point,  there will always be two points of view when these decisions are made.  Those that like the status quo or even the "good old days" and those that favor moving forward.  It's the same in every class--  ever watch an F production race with Triumph Spitfires vs. Acura Integras?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Everyone does realize that SRF is changing engines right?  I think the cost to the competitors is around 3-4k.  Do not know the details of how this change came about or was voted upon but SCCA does have a history of making big changes in their most popular classes.

The update kit is 12-15K.  I can't remember the exact figure.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA