Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
MX-5 Cup Goes Global

2016 Global Mazda MX-5 Cup will include series in North America, Europe and Asia with an end-of-season shootout at Mazda Raceway.

Global-speed.jpg

When the wraps came off the fourth-generation Mazda MX-5 recently, most racers knew that it would eventually be the basis for the Mazda MX-5 Cup that began with the third generation of the MX-5 in 2006. Some aspects of the next generation MX-5 Cup car have been revealed today at the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) Show in Las Vegas, but even bigger is the fact that the series is going global.

Global-tire-300x291.jpgStarting in 2016, there will be multiple Global Mazda MX-5 Cup series around the world, including North America, Europe and Asia. It will all culminate at the end of the year with a Global Shootout at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca to crown the series champion who, along with other prizes, will receive a one-day test in Mazda’s TUDOR United SportsCar Championship SKYACTIV Prototype racecar.

“We’re excited to take the elements of success of the existing Mazda MX-5 Cup series, and introduce them to a new global audience,” says Masahiro Moro, Managing Executive Officer in charge of Global Sales, Marketing and Customer Service for Mazda Motor Corporation. “It has long been our goal to see Mazda fans around the world competing in identical MX-5s, and the launch of the 2016 MX-5 Miata is the perfect time to make this goal a reality.”

The 2016 Global Mazda MX-5 Cup carries on a long tradition of MX-5 spec racing that began with Spec Miata, one of the most popular racing categories in the U.S. and Canada that is also gaining traction in other parts of the world.

“Since the first Mazda MX-5 Miata took the green flag back in 1990, the car has been the ideal platform for both veterans and rookies alike,” notes John Doonan, director of motorsports for Mazda North American operations. “Because the MX-5 is inherently such a good car to drive, it is an ideal platform to learn basic and advanced race-craft, and this has made the professional MX-5 Cup series very successful to date.”

Global-Interior-300x199.jpgIn a first for Mazda, the Global Mazda MX-5 Cup race cars will be sold ready to race from a single supplier. Final specifications for the car beyond the fact that it will be equipped with a 2.0-liter SKYACTIV-G four-cylinder engine have not been determined and the photos shown here may not reflect what equipment will be used on the racer. Mazda will be working over the next year to select the optimum suspension, powertrain and safety modifications for the car. The final specifications will be announced when Mazda is ready to accept orders for the 2016 series.

The third-generation cars will continue on for 2015 in the Battery Tender Mazda MX-5 Cup Presented by BFGoodrich Tires that kicks off at Sebring in March with a 12-race schedule. Beyond that, the current MX-5 Cup race cars will be eligible to compete in club racing, as many do now.

Global1.jpg

- See more at: http://mazdamotorspo...h.lpYtAxQj.dpuf

• Alberto and Jim Drago like this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

I think we should all agree to take off the full year in 2015, abandon Spec Miata and join the MX-5 Global Cup in 2016 - All Agreed????

• Mike Collins, HoneyBadger - BrianW, JBlaisdell and 3 others like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

I think we should all agree to take off the full year in 2015, abandon Spec Miata and join the MX-5 Global Cup in 2016 - All Agreed????

+1
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Sebastian Landy

Sebastian Landy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Number:49
I'm not sure they could build enough cars for you all if you all decided to do it, so you should probably get in line now!

Don't drive like my brother

2013 MARRS SM Champion

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
+2
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Car Number:12

Am I reading this that there is only one (legal?) source for the cars?  If I'm an existing MX-5 Cup team that makes a significant portion of my income from building cars, I would be pretty unhappy right now...

• JRHille likes this
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sebastian Landy

Sebastian Landy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

You are reading it right.

2013 MARRS SM Champion

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
Brian we have been told as builders we will receive an incentive package.
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Number:51
Sounds like the rung on the ladder leading from MX5 to Conti will be removed, replaced by a one day test:
"It will all culminate at the end of the year with a Global Shootout at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca to crown the series champion who, along with other prizes, will receive a one-day test in Mazda’s TUDOR United SportsCar Championship SKYACTIV Prototype racecar."
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

If somebody could pony-up some coin for me, I'd be in!   :banana:

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
+1. Any speculation on cost?
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Sebastian Landy

Sebastian Landy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Mazda gave the Mx-5 Cup teams and drivers at Road Atlanta some basic idea on what they wanted the price to be, but I got the feeling it wasn't definite, and was likely to rise. 

2013 MARRS SM Champion

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

It has a little BMW look

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

^^^ My first thought also!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

I am selling my spec miatas and building a 2016 Global MX-5 cup car.  You may speak to Chris Haldeman about details.  

1993 1.6 with new bottom end and stock 1.6 head.  $18,000.

1999  with proven bottom end and stock head.  $18,000.

2001 Absolute new build, two race weekends no damage, stock head $30,000.

Good luck everyone.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

MPR22:

I am selling my spec miatas and building a 2016 Global MX-5 cup car. You may speak to Chris Haldeman about details.

1993 1.6 with new bottom end and stock 1.6 head. $18,000.

1999 with proven bottom end and stock head. $18,000.

Good luck everyone.

MPR PPS

• Bench Racer likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Which one would you rather have ??

http://www.flyinmiata.com/catfish/

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45

I am selling my spec miatas and building a 2016 Global MX-5 cup car.  You may speak to Chris Haldeman about details.  

1993 1.6 with new bottom end and stock 1.6 head.  $18,000.
1999  with proven bottom end and stock head.  $18,000.

Good luck everyone.

18K for a 1.6, what are you smokin ? Lol :)
  • Blake Thompson likes this
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

The Build Begins
The first steps toward development of the ND MX-5 into a global spec racecar are underway, with the first public on-track test a little over a month away.

MX5Dev1-1

The Japanese-market 2016 MX-5 is already in production, with the U.S.-spec version beginning to roll off the line in a couple of months. But development of the next MX-5 Cup car, that will be the competition vehicle for the Battery Tender Mazda MX-5 Cup Presented by BFGoodrich Tires as well as the MX-5 Global Cup, is already well underway.

The process of turning the 155hp, 2332lb. roadster into a competition car – which will be sold by Mazda – is in good hands. The development partner has cars in the shop and will be using every tool available – from good, old-fashioned let’s-see-how-this-works parts trials to advanced computer simulation – to arrive at the right package that increases the fun quotient and makes the MX-5 Cup car a rewarding, tunable racecar.

MX5Dev1-2Validating the work the development partner does will be experienced racer Tom Long. Long has a venerable association with the Miata, having raced Spec Miata and winning the first MX-5 Cup when it was based on the popular class. He has raced and won in the current MX-5 in IMSA’s Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge Street Tuner class and currently pilots one of MAZDA’s SKYACTIV Prototypes in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship. He was also the first to drive one of the early test mules of the ND MX-5 chassis, long before it was skinned with the KODO Design-influenced body that the production model will wear.

“I’m extremely honored,” he says. “To get the nod from Mazda requires a great deal of confidence in my ability and input on their behalf to help develop this new Global MX-5 Cup platform, which I understand is a giant task. I’m certainly not taking it lightly, and really excited to get started with the project. It will require a ton of dedication and focus, which I’m ready to commit.”

For Mazda Motorsports, Long was the perfect choice to develop the car.

“We wanted someone with substantial MX-5 Miata racing experience,” says John Doonan, Director of Motorsports for Mazda North American Operations. “This driver would be responsible for providing feedback to the rest of the development team when testing different performance parts, such as shock packages, brake pads, tires and more.

“There is likely nobody on the planet with more races in every platform of the MX-5 than current factory driver for the No. 07 Mazda SKYACTIV Prototype, Tom Long. Not only has Tom raced each version, but he has coached countless numbers of drivers in the car over the years. Tom literally knows each model year platform and its attributes by heart. In the summer of 2014, he went to Japan to test the all-new 2016 platform, becoming the first person outside of a Mazda employee to drive all generations of the MX-5. In and out of the car, Tom is a terrific representative of Mazda’s brand and understands what we are trying to accomplish for our customers,” Doonan continues.

The first test cars are coming together now, and Long will give the a trial version of the next MX-5 Cup car its public on-track debut at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca during the TUDOR Championship and MX-5 Cup weekend May 1-3.

MazdaMotorsports.com will continue to follow the development of Mazda’s new global racer as it speeds toward production in July. Watch the site for regular updates in the coming months.

Here's the link with pics.
http://www.mazdamoto...gId=-1&button=y

J~

TRJ3

TRJ3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

I want one. Wish we could order today......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users