Photo

Shootout Finalists Announced

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

MOST, if not all, great rain drivers I have seen may not have the car to be as competitive in the dry.  It takes a lot of that out of the equation....Ah the great equalizer. 

Anxious to see who came out on top...

Mr. Hille. Thank you. What rain does is remove horsepower from the equation. THE GREAT EQUALIZER.

Piling on what Justin and Danny posted. Back in the U.S.A.C. stock car days racing on dirt brought a couple mid to rear asphalt guys to the front. One can only reasonably hook up so much HP to dirt or wet. Seeing their happy smilling faces after the race was priceless.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Joe (dad) Jordan

Joe (dad) Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Region:San Diego
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:47

Agree with all of you that rain can be the great equalizer, but in this case they are all driving the same car, so no real advantage.

Kyle driving in the extreme wet is about car control in my opinion and knowing how to run on the edge and understanding water flow (driving a rain line if needed) If it rains hard, any standing water on the track it is more reactionary rather than car setup like it is in the dry.

Decision will come out tomorrow. This will be the toughest 30 hours that Joey has ever dealt with.  He felt good about his driving, but as any contest that has Judges it can be subjective, He said one of his sessions was the best 20 minutes he has ever driven, it was in the rain and he was shocked he was able to keep the car on the track.  I'm just glad he gave it his best shot and felt he performed well.

He also said the pressure to perform was insane. They were also warned to not go off the track or loose valuable time in their session,  It rained until about 2pm  a bit of a crap shoot to when you got to run based on running order etc, but I believe Mazda and the judges will be fair to take all those variables into account.  

I was not at the shootout so I had no way to give first hand accounts, so this is from Joey's perspective and second hand so hoping I didn't get any of it wrong he will be very annoyed with me( again) if I did.  Hoping for the best.

• Team Nitro likes this

Joe Jordan the turd.....Joey is IV or quatro!

Ran in Firestone Firehawk in a Miata in 1994

Speedvision Cup Miata's 95-99

World Challenge Miata in 2000 AT MRLS

Had 3 Rookie of the year winners "Rising Stars" In IMSA

Kids now racing...Started them in Lemons Miata we built into the 2013 Western Division SCCA Majors Champion!

6th at 50th SCCA Runoffs in SM OPM's Rental 01

2nd fastest race lap at the Runoffs.

2014 Teen Mazda Challenge (west) Champ!

2015 Pirelli World Challenge Round 15 Winner in TCB and round 16,17,and 18 Winner!

Craig Berry

Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:29
Good Luck Joey!
Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Chad Martin

Chad Martin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Region:Midwest
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:38

Ben told me the same thing.  Lots of guys went off, some multiple times, and there was damage done to the cars and the cars got stuck regularly when they did go off.  This even after stern warnings to NOT go off.

He was also telling me the standing water was insane.  Multiple inches deep in some locations, and that the car would hydroplane for over a sec in some cases.

Sounded like an intense day!

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I both agree with Justin and Danny as well as disagree at the same time.  We all have nearly the same hp ant tq in the dry if you have a top notch car.  In the Dry it very much about setup and setup feedback which is a skill.  Its the skill to get the car to be at the edge in a predictable manner.

Car control is a skill no doubt, and is more important maybe in the wet.

For me it is the risk vs reward, I feel the risk to drive fast in the rain far outways the reward for me.  I do not want to lose my racing budget with a wadded up car from pushing in the rain when I know thats one session or one day of the season and more times then not we will be in dry conditions.

I didnt mean to lead this conversation astray with my post, this should be about those guys who are fighting for the big prize...

Joey, Kyle, Ben and the others!  Look forward to hearing from some of them after the outcome.  no matter who wins the prize they are all winners in my book, and for most this is just the start of them fulfilling their professional racing dreams!

• Joe (dad) Jordan, JRHille and High Chair like this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Chad Martin

Chad Martin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Region:Midwest
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:38

Congratulations Kyle!  Super tough competition this year.  An amazing achievement to beat out that depth of talent.  I'm sure you will have a lot of fans cheering you on in MX-5 cup next year.  Count me as one of them.

• Joe (dad) Jordan, Ron Alan, Team Nitro and 2 others like this

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Holy crap! So excited for this young man. Anyone who knows him knows what he has gone thru to get here. No doubt there was tough competition. Humbled to have been able to help him get here. Congratulations Kyle!

I felt like I had 2 horses in this race...either of which I would have been thrilled to see win. Joey will be back and I have no doubt his future accomplishments will only be strengthened by this experience!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Joe (dad) Jordan

Joe (dad) Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Region:San Diego
  • Car Number:47

Very Happy for Kyle!  We will need to reevaluate and go back to the drawing board.

Joe Jordan the turd.....Joey is IV or quatro!

Ran in Firestone Firehawk in a Miata in 1994

Speedvision Cup Miata's 95-99

World Challenge Miata in 2000 AT MRLS

Had 3 Rookie of the year winners "Rising Stars" In IMSA

Kids now racing...Started them in Lemons Miata we built into the 2013 Western Division SCCA Majors Champion!

6th at 50th SCCA Runoffs in SM OPM's Rental 01

2nd fastest race lap at the Runoffs.

2014 Teen Mazda Challenge (west) Champ!

2015 Pirelli World Challenge Round 15 Winner in TCB and round 16,17,and 18 Winner!

DionJ

DionJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Number:68
Wow! Congrats Kyle...
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Number:45
Congrats Kyle !!!!!

Just wondering how the I racing guys did in this competition ?
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac

Tough field. Congrats to Kyle. All involved deserve to win this thing. A real shame that it has to come down to just one. It must be terribly hard to choose the winner among such a talented group of drivers.

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Congrats Kyle !!!

All the best in your new career. :thumbsup:

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

fotostars

fotostars

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:63

Awesome! Must have been a crazy Week-End!

Congrats to you Kyle... This is real good news for the SM community at large showing how competitive you can be in a NA!

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

powerss

powerss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Region:ARiZONA
  • Car Number:145

Congrats Kyle.  Joey and Zach I am sure you will get another shot at it next year.  Looking forward to seeing you on the track again in 2015.

By the way, how did the iRacing guys do on the track, especially in the rain? 

Steve

Steven Powers
Arizona Region
2009 SoPAC Division Champion
2013 SoPAC Division Champion
2019 Western Conference Champion

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
Kyle Loustaunau Wins Shootout

Vacaville. Calif. racer awarded $100,000 scholarship prize to compete in the 2015 Battery Tender Mazda MX-5 Cup Presented by BFGoodrich Tires.

LoustaunauHed.jpgAfter half a day of presentations, grilling by judges and a day of lapping on a very wet and slick Buttonwillow Raceway Park West Course, Kyle Loustaunau emerged as the winner of the biggest prize in club racing over seven other candidates in the Mazda Club Racer Shootout. As a result, Loustaunau, who won the National Auto Sport Association (NASA) Spec Miata title at NASA’s Western States Championships to earn his place in the competition, has at his disposal a $100,000 scholarship package to compete in the 2015 Battery Tender Mazda MX-5 Cup Presented by BFGoodrich Tires.

“Over the past three days I’ve had the most amazing experience of my life,” said Loustaunau. “This is both an honor and a privilege to represent Mazda and I can’t wait to get started. It has taken help from a lot of amazing people to get here and I can’t thank everyone enough.”

The eight candidates, culled from a group of Mazda champions from NASA, SCCA, Skip Barber and – new this year – iRacing, had to contend with tough and ever-changing conditions as rain got heavy and lightened, providing just a touch of relief to California’s drought. Although the sun did peek out a bit late in the day, all sessions were conducted on BFGoodrich rain tires. Driving in the rain was only one of the obstacles Loustaunau had to overcome to take the prize.

LoustaunauCar-300x199.jpgLoustaunau earned his way into the shootout by winning Spec Miata at the NASA Western States Championships.

“Every year the Mazda Club Racer Shootout just gets better and better,” noted Charles Espenlaub, the head judge and one of the few to have witnessed every shootout. “Having been involved since the beginning, I am continually amazed at the talent level that the Mazda champions bring. As the landscape of racing changes so does the competition on and off the track. This year we had another twist, with heavy rains the conditions were extremely difficult. This added to the challenge and as always made for a difficult decision as to who would win the coveted prize. Everyone did an outstanding job and put in efforts worthy of the champions they are. As in the very competitive Battery Tender Mazda MX-5 Cup the winner can be decided by a few tenths of a second. Kyle Loustaunau was able to top the field by showing well in multiple categories all of which should provide success for his climb up the ladder.”

The prize that Loustaunau claimed will allow him to compete in the 2015 Battery Tender Mazda MX-5 Cup Presented by BFGoodrich Tires. Included in that sum is a budget to run his car for the season, a parts support budget, a Mazda driving suit and helmet, professional media training, 12 sets of BFGoodrich tires courtesy of BFGoodrich (one set per race) and 12 entry fee waivers courtesy of SCCA Pro Racing.

“Mazda Motorsports is the leader in grassroots road racing,” said John Doonan, director of Mazda Motorsports. “This leadership has given us opportunities to do things that no one else has done. Our Club Racer Shootout has become a signature event for us and represents an amazing opportunity to help racers move from the club level to the professional ranks with a solid support program around them. We expect Kyle to have a great season in the 2015 Battery Tender MX-5 Cup and hopefully many more years with Mazda.”

Shootout1-300x200.jpgThe candidates had to prove themselves on the track in challenging conditions.

Driving ability – both speed and consistency – was only one of the criteria used to judge the six candidates who had won various racing titles in a Mazda and the two who had won a season of iRacing MX-5 Cup and who acquitted themselves admirably on track. The final eight were first selected based on the quality of their business proposals. They then had to present those proposals to the judges the day before the on-track sessions. They also had to demonstrate their understanding of vehicle dynamics and suspension, along with their ability to evaluate and improve the handling of a racecar and their ability to analyze data.

Having come through that and secured the funding for next year, the next step for Loustaunau, from Vacaville, Calif., will be to speak with and test with several MX-5 Cup teams to choose one for 2015. The first race weekend of the 2015 Battery Tender Mazda MX-5 Cup Presented by BFGoodrich Tires will be at Sebring International Raceway on March 18-20.

The eight shootout finalists were:

Racer
Club/Series
Hometown/Residence

Sam Adams
Skip Barber Racing School (Summer Series)
Hubertus, Wisconsin

Ben Anderson
NASA Eastern States Championships (PTE)
Minneapolis, Minnesota

Steven Diem
iRacing MX-5 Cup (Season 3)
Kailua, Hawaii

Joey Jordan
NASA Spec Miata Teen Challenge (West)
Santa Barbara, California

Kyle Loustaunau
NASA Western States Championships (Spec Miata)
Vacaville, California

Evan Maillard
iRacing MX-5 Cup (Season 2)
Nesles La Vallée, France

Zachary Munro
NASA Spec Miata Teen Challenge (Rocky Mountain)
Granby, Colorado

Eric Powell
NASA Western States Championships (PTD)
Orlando, Florida

Each year Mazda invites a panel of outside judges to make the selection. The judges brought a wealth of both on-track, and off-track expertise. More than a dozen professionals were involved in either the preliminary business proposal review, on-track activities, or both. The panel consisted of:

· Peter Calhoun – BFGoodrich

· Charles Espenlaub – Safecraft Racing

· Pete Evanow – Cal State Fullerton

· John Fabijanic – Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

· Tim Frost – Frost Motorsports, LLC

· Julie Garner – Project Yellow Light

· Kenton Koch – 2014 Mazda MX-5 Cup Champion

· Karl Koenigstein – BFGoodrich

· Ken Payne – BFGoodrich

· Justin Piscitell – Past Shootout Winner

· Evin Prelec – Battery Tender

· Jeremy Shaw – Team USA Scholarship

· Scott Shelton – ABC Television/Past Shootout Winner

· Lyn St. James – Women’s Sports Foundation

· Barry Toepke – Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca

- See more at: http://www.mazdamoto...h.CSvClgpv.dpuf

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

ToddW

ToddW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:67

Excellent choice!

Kyle is an exceptional driver, well spoken, and solid character (but I guess

they figured all of that out on their own).

I hope MX-Cup racing keeps Kyle too busy to run regionals next year so I can

move up the finishing order  :)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
Congrats Kyle on the award, and to all the other drivers selected to compete. Kyle, make Spec Miata look good next year by cleaning up in the series!!!
  • john mueller likes this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

sdiem27

sdiem27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Aren't SCCA Champions also eligible?

iRacing?!

You can qualify by playing video games?

Pretty soon we won't need real life. We'll just sit in our bubbles and run sims. God Almighty.

Steven Diem here, and I feel like I should bump this thread up after seeing replies like this.

Prior to the club racer shootout I did a test in an mx5 cup car and got up to speed fairly quickly. In the actual shootout my fastest lap time was only 1 tenth behind Kyle's fastest lap. Evan also got up to speed really quickly from what I could tell.

Of course I learned a hell of a lot in the mx5 cup test I did, but much of what I know about car control and the handling characteristics of this car I learned in iRacing. Also, the shootout took place in the rain so I couldn't much rely on what I learned in the mx5 cup test I did in the dry.

The point is, elite level sim racers can translate their talents to the real world and I think Evan and I proved that. To be honest, it really bothers me when I hear comments like king hiro's above. It's this bizarre sense of entitlement that I can't stand.

Before the shootout I realized that the judges probably wouldn't give the prize to sim racers since it is after all the "Mazda Club Racer Shootout." I think just the gesture of allowing two iRacers into the shootout shows Mazda's commitment to reaching out to grassroots racing, and sim racing is a huge form of grassroots racing.

I am extremely grateful for Mazda and iRacing for putting this whole thing together and allowing Evan and I to compete against real drivers. It was a dream come true experience for me and I think we held our own just fine.

I never once felt any shred of negativity towards us "video gamers" for being there from any of the contestants or judges. There was no sense of entitlement and sense of superiority about us being there without spending thousands of dollars. I cant say the same thing for some people online who have commented on this topic.

With that said, I would love it if in the future Mazda and iRacing could collaborate on an iRacing shootout with the prize being something like a skip barber summer series seat, or SM season.
  • Danny Steyn and ECOBRAP like this

sdiem27

sdiem27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I also want to mirror what people have been saying about Kyle. He was one of the nicest contestants there and Im thrilled that he won. His business plan/video as well as his driving was really on point. I have a feeling he will go far in his career.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Steven,

Thanks for coming on and talking about your experience. Like you, I to think Mazda would be smart to have a competition with strictly sim racers.
Sometimes there might be a little disconnect between some of us "old" guys with what is going on around us. Don't take it personal...just know some would rather see you out at the track...hopefully in their mirrors...than as a screen name :)

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users