Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Simple rule at no cost to anyone would be limit camber.

:rotfl:

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

I for one think the eccentric bushings are a bad idea.
These will cause excessive wear to tires, bearings and more.
These cars don't need 3' or more camber.
Simple rule at no cost to anyone would be limit camber.
We all know what is max based on the cars adjustment limitations so pick a number and be done with it.
This is rules creep!

Your naïveté is quite charming.
Read past threads about the compliance issues and the cost in tires. 99s don't get 3 degs of camber and I promise you, set ups with more than 3 are on more top ten cars than not.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Mike Babcock

Mike Babcock

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:166
You really don't want these things on the LCA.  Here's why...

Two independent adjustment points on the lower control arm (caster/camber).  Imagine if the camber bolt was adjusted fully outward, and the caster bolt fully inwards.  Now, imagine yourself trying to peek through the bolt holes from front to back... you can't, because the natural plane is now skewed.  There would be a certain level of opposing bind present on each mounting point, and a much greater likelyhood of rotational shift with an offset bushing.  In reality, they'd be trying to shift even when the car was parked.

With the OEM bushing, the entire range of motion on the LCA, once torqued, is fully depend on the compliance of the bushing material.  This includes the the normal suspension travel, as well as the slight movement that results in adjusting the cam bolts.  So an LCA offset bushing, even if the bushing material were made of soft rubber, you'd have less compliance due to the bolt being closer to the outer housing.

Now consider the upper control arm... no adjustments, and a single bolt holding it to the subframe.  Effectively, a single mounting point.  Any forces that are working to shift an offset bushing are going to have to shift both bushings in the same direction.  Much less likely.  It would also have minimal impact on caster adjustment range... which is NOT something we're trying to fix, so let's not booger it up in the process.

Whiteline doesn't make an offset bushing for the LCA, and ICS (while they may fit) doesn't recommend using them in the LCA, for the reasons mentioned above.  SuperPro makes them... but that design uses an offset inner-sleeve.  Looks like maybe half a degree's worth.

We used the Whiteline's on an NA LeMons/Chump car.  I liked their design a bit better than ICS, as the press-in metal sleeve helps prevent rotational shift, and they don't need to be greased.  That car has over 100 hours on-track... no issues.  1.2 degrees additional negative camber.

And as Bench stated... this was requested as a "may do", not a "must do".

• Alberto likes this

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

We used the Whiteline's on an NA LeMons/Chump car.  I liked their design a bit better than ICS, as the press-in metal sleeve helps prevent rotational shift, and they don't need to be greased.  That car has over 100 hours on-track... no issues.  1.2 degrees additional negative camber.

And as Bench stated... this was requested as a "may do", not a "must do".

Whiteline no longer making the sleeved bushings. I spoke to them a few weeks ago, they have a two piece replacement coming out

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

JIm, don't have the dyno sheet but I did see that lap times for a 1.6 that I whistled this year that was 9.8.CR. It was still a second off the front pack, but well in front of the rest of the 1.6's.  Car had a good wheel man. I had also run into the same thing a few years ago at the ARRC and same figures and times. Figured it was an easy, not very costly change and if it makes it too fast, a weight adjustment is as easy as lead. Heck, with the change, the exact amount to cut off a stock 1.6 head could be provided.

Maybe someone out there has this info and can provide to Jim. Sure like to see more of these cars in the mix.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I just noticed that Mazda has +0.5mm (0.020) Pistons for the 1.6. I thought they had only 0.25/0.010 a few years back. Probably just a bad memory. Anyway, that slightly increases the possibility of allowing more compression without too much off the head & block. Just thinking about the options.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45

I just noticed that Mazda has +0.5mm (0.020) Pistons for the 1.6. I thought they had only 0.25/0.010 a few years back. Probably just a bad memory. Anyway, that slightly increases the possibility of allowing more compression without too much off the head & block. Just thinking about the options.

You can use the larger pistons but you have to run more weight.
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
I think only the 0.25s so far @ +15, all years, right? But what I'm saying is that IF one approach for helping the 1.6 is adding compression, I'm concerned about limits to head and block cutting before clearance and/or can timing are an issue. Moving up to the OS 0.5mm gives a compression bump along with the small displacement increase. But, then all the old blocks are on their last life again, so not a great idea. What we need is a boat load of new, straight, $200 bare blocks
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

I think only the 0.25s so far @ +15, all years, right? But what I'm saying is that IF one approach for helping the 1.6 is adding compression, I'm concerned about limits to head and block cutting before clearance and/or can timing are an issue. Moving up to the OS 0.5mm gives a compression bump along with the small displacement increase. But, then all the old blocks are on their last life again, so not a great idea. What we need is a boat load of new, straight, $200 bare blocks

Steve, with all your resources don't you have a source for a 1.6, 10:1 compression ratio dyno graph. Around the 19th of this month I may have access to one to compare to the 99 plus torque. Yes it may well help the 1.6 above 5,500 rpm, but to me the real issue is below 5,500 rpm.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

I know my ignorance on the 1.6 engine is embarrassing, but Bench, if you are saying that 10:1 compression works on the 1.6 without piston-valve interference, isn't this the easiest way to get the 1.6 into the mix. Like Creighton, I want to see more of these cars in the hunt.

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Remember guys, the CRB is meeting with the BoD. (end of the week)

The recommendation from the CRB has not been approved yet.

NASA/MAZDA/SCCA and "industry experts" have been reviewing the heads from the runoffs.

We haven't heard what the "industry experts" have found, or what data they have or what suggestions they will make or if any of it will get approved either.

Carry on,

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I know my ignorance on the 1.6 engine is embarrassing, but Bench, if you are saying that 10:1 compression works on the 1.6 without piston-valve interference, isn't this the easiest way to get the 1.6 into the mix. Like Creighton, I want to see more of these cars in the hunt.

Danny, there are two interference issues really, at least that I've seen. If you cut more off the head (and allow overall height below factory minimum spec) then valves get close to pistons. If you cut more off the deck of the block, then the piston gets too close to the head.

Unfortunately you can't just measure one of each and publish what is "safe". The block castings also have core shift resulting in the deck not being parallel to the crank, which means that piston 2 may stick out more than piston 1, and so on, or a single piston may stick up more on the left than on the right. You can fix or reduce the end-for-end issues at the main journals but not so easy for side-to-side. That's why for many years Sunbelt decked all new crate blocks a fixed amount then installed different pistons with a lower compression height. And since they also cut custom cams there wasn't any timing issue.

And of course besides interference, cutting either impacts cam timing which may help or defeat the intended goal. I don't think we're talking enough to worry about the extra slack that has to be taken up by the tensioner but one more thing to consider.

So a cheap & safe way to get to 10:1 might be a great place to start, but it would require a good bit of R&D. (Keep in mind that rods stretch at high revs so simple measurements aren't enough.)
What we really need is a slightly stroked crank combined with a shorter rod and +0.40 pistons to increase both displacement and compression. Get that dude to 1700 @ 10:1 and you can start backing off the 1.8 restrictors and weight rather than slowing them more.

Brian129

Brian129

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

I am very pleased with this movement on both proposals,  I am already getting prepped for race school in Feb.

when is the meeting that this gets approved?

working on pulling my stock motor, and cleaning up a set of upper arms to put the bushings in.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users