Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Has anyone heard anything on which tire is spec'ed for the 2015 season of Sealed Spec Miata in SFR?

I haven't heard anything since the survey in late Oct.  Just sent an email to the office but figured I'd post here in case someone knows.

Thanks.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:12

We discussed it at my last board meeting and have a tentative plan.  We/They are working on contingency as the final piece before making a decision.

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Thanks.  

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Hot off the presses:

San Francisco Region
Sports Car Club of America
For 2015, both Spec Miata T and Sealed Spec Miata must use Toyo Proxes RR tires, size205x50x15The Toyo RA1 is also allowed, but recommended only for wet conditions. 

AIM Tire and Toyo will be providing an all new contingency program for the San Francisco Region. To be eligible you must have bought tires from Ron Cortez' Aim Tires or the Thunderhill Tire Shop in the past six months; so racers should purchase their next set soon from one of these two locations.  

The only classes in SF Regional races in Group 7 will be SMT and SSM. Anyone who wants to run Hoosiers (the "Majors" tire) can run in Group 5 in ITA. The only class offered for the April 11-12 Major at Thunderhill will be SM (the Runoffs qualifying class).

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

So...before i haul off and comment on this...couple questions Brian.

What does the contingency look like? I assume this is separate from the TH rewards? 

What will the RR and RA1 purchace price be...Fixed for the year? Mount and Balance price?

Those 2 and 3 cycle Hoosiers just became uber cheap!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

alangj

alangj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Region:SFR SCCA
  • Car Number:14
So, just to be clear: those running SSM/SMT may as well stay home for the April Major unless they're just looking for track time?

tom1977

tom1977

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Region:Reno/SFR/NWR
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:86

Somebody please tell me that SF Region is NOT trying to kill Spec Miata...

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

OK.  SF Region is not trying to kill Spec Miata. :)

tom1977

tom1977

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

OK.  SF Region is not trying to kill Spec Miata. :)

LoL, Curious as to why a national class is "removed" from regional competition.  Please, correct me if I am wrong, but If I wanted to obtain points in the regional races under the normal national class for the runoffs, I would only be able to do this at one "majors" this year in SFR...

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Car Number:88

It's same as last year. At a given event.

SM, national, Hoosiers Pts toward runoffs

SMT, regional Toyos

SSM, regional Toyos

And they all run in the same group too.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

tom1977

tom1977

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

It's same as last year. At a given event.

SM, national, Hoosiers Pts toward runoffs

SMT, regional Toyos

SSM, regional Toyos

And they all run in the same group too.

J~

Ok, I saw that hoosiers where to be in group 5 (ITA)  IF "SM" is still in group 7 how come the SFR supps state otherwise?  Sorry if I am confused...

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Yeah, the language could be better.  I'm confused about that as well but don't really care since I run SSM. :)  :hugegrin:  :tipsy:

Maybe I should volunteer for that job.

On another note, it's now 5:00 here!   :cheers:

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I think they say it like, SM is Nat, SCCA written rules.
SMT and SSM are regional and what they want to do and so state what the regional rules are.

2015 Road Racing Schedule

Each Regional weekend will include two points races for all classes, equaling 14 points races for the year (not 16 as previously stated since the April 11-12 Majors does not count for Regional points). Eight races will be required to qualify for a series trophy. Exception: June 5-8 the SRF Festival Race will also count for points, giving SRF and SRF3 a total of 15 races (8 still needed for a trophy).

Date........................... Track...................................... Event

February 20-22.......... Thunderhill............................ Drivers School

March 7-8.................. Thunderhill............................ Regional

March 27-29.............. Laguna Seca........................... Regional

April 11-12................. Thunderhill............................ Major

Apr 30-May 3............. Laguna Seca........................... USCR—Volunteer Support

May 16-17.................. Thunderhill............................ Regional

June 4........................ Laguna Seca........................... Test Day

June 5-7..................... Laguna Seca........................... Regional

July 24-26................... Laguna Seca........................... Regional

August 8-9................. Laguna Seca........................... Pre Reunion—Volunteer Support

August 13-16............. Laguna Seca........................... Reunion—Volunteer Support

Sept 10-13................. Laguna Seca........................... World Challenge—Volunteer Support

Sept 12-13..............Sonoma......................Sonoma Sprints Regional

October 9-11............. Laguna Seca........................... Pro Event—Volunteer Support

October 24-25........... Thunderhill...................Regional

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

tom1977

tom1977

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

I am still confused, is it a typo that SM is to be run in group 5?

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
"Anyone who wants to run Hoosiers (the "Majors" tire) can run in Group 5 in ITA."

IDK, I see as if you want to run hoosiers, do in ITA. no mention of SM.
Just the mention of SM at April date.

I'm not sure how many are doing the Runoffs with it being Daytona.
J~

tom1977

tom1977

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Ok, then I read the post correctly.  SFR is not running "SM" as per the GCR in regional events, Majors only. Great way to thin out the field in group 7 or sell Toyo Tyres!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I'd have to agree with your comment, but their not killing SM (as we know it here in Cali) at ALL.

IMO, Hoosiers aren't worth it, yes made in the USA, etc, but TOYO's fit the class, cost friendly, NASA can cross over, nice Conting, less wear on the car/hubs.

We do have a (if  remember the wording) a Super Region for a reason.

Hoosiers doesn't make the class, Miatas make the class.

Good call IMO,

Just saying.

J~

tom1977

tom1977

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Thank you. I reviewed the price point of the toyos tonight.  I actually look forward to trying them, Thanks!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Still waiting for Brians reply....

Johnny...you have not been running SCCA...maybe zip it? Not all who ran Hoosiers last year were front runners...there are a lot of tires out there that many would like to use up...and dont want to or run dual classes. Kind of sucks for those who just want to run SM but did not buy 1 RR last year. I spent money recently on 2 cycle Hoosiers for a rental and was going to buy more...big waste!

Tom1977,

Last year, because the runoffs were at Laguna, there was a special SFR(local)way to qualify without going the Majors route. Being this year is across the country, I assume that option is off the table. SFR is doing what they think makes most sense for our region. Maybe a blend period would have been nice as in years past when a change was made??

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

If you further divide your regional class by tire, does it not reduce your competition in each class? Our regional division, Great Lakes Division, used to have an open tire rule, in our divisional championship. When the new rules came down where the divisional series was a path to the Runoffs and competitors had to use the national tire, at first i was concerned.

However, competition is closer with everyone using the same tire. At our tracks, the Hoosier is a faster better tire, IMO, and the contingency and track side support from Hoosier is fantastic. The contingency is winner two tires 2nd one tire, per race and 4 tires to divisional champ.

Unless you run lots of NASA i see no advantage to the RR. <_<

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users