• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Decided to use iRacing to learn a few tracks we may visit in the next year or two. I figure whatever $ I spend is easily justified by at least getting the layout and flow down, better than just watching videos. The time required to get comfortable with the controls may be another matter, but worth a try.

Unfortunately there isn't a Spec Miata available and the MX5 cup car is too fast and quite different than a 1.6 to drive. Is it possible to build or upload a car, or can someone recommend a setup to make their MX5 closer?

In test mode I would like to pick a sector or two and just practice it, always starting at speed exiting the prior corner so I don't have to do a full lap before repeating the part I'm trying to perfect. That seems like an obvious and valuable training feature but I don't see any reference to it. Is there nothing like that?

I welcome any tips and suggestions for optimizing the benefits of Sims.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:59

Decided to use iRacing to learn a few tracks we may visit in the next year or two. I figure whatever $ I spend is easily justified by at least getting the layout and flow down, better than just watching videos. The time required to get comfortable with the controls may be another matter, but worth a try.

Unfortunately there isn't a Spec Miata available and the MX5 cup car is too fast and quite different than a 1.6 to drive. Is it possible to build or upload a car, or can someone recommend a setup to make their MX5 closer?

In test mode I would like to pick a sector or two and just practice it, always starting at speed exiting the prior corner so I don't have to do a full lap before repeating the part I'm trying to perfect. That seems like an obvious and valuable training feature but I don't see any reference to it. Is there nothing like that?

I welcome any tips and suggestions for optimizing the benefits of Sims.

No, the MX5 Cup Car is as close as you'll get. The MX5 Roadster is RHD with a 5 speed. The physics engine on iRacing is pretty realistic, but the main flaw with the game (for me) is that when you get sideways, anything past 15 degrees is completely unsavable. This means you can't dance around with the car as much as you are used to in a 1.6. In terms of speed, the cars aren't TOO far apart, so it will help.

As for a sector based training mode, I do not believe iRacing supports that. You will have to turn laps :] If this is the first sim you are trying, it will take a good month to get up to speed so be patient with it. Once you understand the limits of car control in the game, then you can start pushing.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to help!

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I stopped playing video games when i beat Mario(8-4?)back in the early 90's :)  But i did watch one of the local SM kids do some...he used the Pontiac solstice which I guess is very similar to the miata?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:59

I stopped playing video games when i beat Mario(8-4?)back in the early 90's :)  But i did watch one of the local SM kids do some...he used the Pontiac solstice which I guess is very similar to the miata?

I'll take you on at Beerio Kart sometime this year.

You have to finish a beer before the end of the race or else you are disqualified, and you can not drink while driving so you have to put down the controller while drinking  :king:

• Ron Alan likes this

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users