davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

I have not run a major recently, so I did not get the survey.

IIRC there where multiple tests concerning top speed of an early Miata with the headlights up and down, back in the day. With headlights up, the consensus was 3-5mph difference in top speed. Do you really want to take the car with the concieved disadvantage and give it another disadvantage?

I agree with Jims statement above, but do we really want to tell an entire group of potential entries,"we really don't need you. We only want the top 12 guys in the country to attend this race."

If the track is lit up like Spacoli, then it would be really cool. Otherwise it would not be fair to all the competitors.

Just my opinion

dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45
I don't know in person but the infield does look a little dark from watching the Rolex cars.

A little tip if you have never run at night, tint the mirrors this will help keep the glare down and will help you focus better. If you have a wide mirror on the inside of the car just adjust it down or up a little bit so it's not in your eyes and where you can still lift your head enough so you can see out of it. Trust me the glare can get real bad and if you get anything on the windshield during the race it can make it really bad and almost impossible to see out of.
  • Mark likes this
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Number:45

I have not run a major recently, so I did not get the survey.

IIRC there where multiple tests concerning top speed of an early Miata with the headlights up and down, back in the day. With headlights up, the consensus was 3-5mph difference in top speed. Do you really want to take the car with the concieved disadvantage and give it another disadvantage?

I agree with Jims statement above, but do we really want to tell an entire group of potential entries,"we really don't need you. We only want the top 12 guys in the country to attend this race."

If the track is lit up like Spacoli, then it would be really cool. Otherwise it would not be fair to all the competitors.

Just my opinion
dave

Us NA guys can just turn are headlights off when we get on the banking and turn them back on before T1 because the banks are lit up pretty good. Problem solved ! Lol :)
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Alternate headlights is not needed either...

That is your opinion, not fact..... just sayin'.   :)

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

That is your opinion, not fact..... just sayin'.   :)

Correct, but when no NA cars show up that qualify inside the top 25.. It will become fact ;)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:57

Once it's set that we'll be the featured night race (how could people not want this?!), and there is an adequate amount of NA entries (30%?), they can vote on what we NB guys need to do to equal out the aero and we have to do it.  I'm thinking Lemons type shit like a blow up doll on each headlight or a couple of bronze statues...

Make sure to register and pay though NA guys, I look forward to my trip to the garden store to buy my new hood ornaments  :rant:

• Jim Drago and Danica Davison like this

Alex Bolanos - #57 
Sponsored by Autotechnik, Momo USA, Apex Alignment, and Amazon.com

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26

Based solely on my experience at Charlotte running at night in a NB car.  Headlights are of very very little use.  They are more for other cars to see you than you seeing the road using them.  If headlights are not required to run at Daytona per supps, the issue would be NA  :)  You would definitely not need them on the oval.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Number:68

Never mind, I found it...

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38

Us NA guys can just turn are headlights off when we get on the banking and turn them back on before T1 because the banks are lit up pretty good. Problem solved ! Lol :)

Would be like air brakes coming into turn 1.
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac

A tip I learned from some local Enduro racers is to put a soft blue or red interior light in the car. It keeps the lights from trailing cars from destroying your night vision. A real issue in night Enduros as some of those cars have some outrageous led lighting systems. Probably not an issue with stock headlights though.

I don't know in person but the infield does look a little dark from watching the Rolex cars.

A little tip if you have never run at night, tint the mirrors this will help keep the glare down and will help you focus better. If you have a wide mirror on the inside of the car just adjust it down or up a little bit so it's not in your eyes and where you can still lift your head enough so you can see out of it. Trust me the glare can get real bad and if you get anything on the windshield during the race it can make it really bad and almost impossible to see out of.

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

A little midleading.. that is your opinion, not fact. Did those drivers in an NB car is likely still 0.

Alternate headlights is not needed either...
While not PC and not what some want to hear... I am not aware of anyone entering a NA car that would be tremendously effected with the head lights up or down. If this was an issue there are plenty of NB cars for rent etc.

Because i'm not quite sure your point i'm going to guess why my opinion is not fact. I stated there were quite a few NA cars at Laguna last year...14 out of 45 to be exact(or close :) )...I think that is a few!

I stated not one had a chance of winning...yes, my opinion, based on the car and the competition! I was midleading...though I think even you Jim as a driver(this is a compliment)would have stood 0 chance in a 1.6 car and maybe a 5% chance in a NA1.8 car.

Here is a interesting fact for you...Local Tim Weaver(the fastest 1.6 car last year locally), brought his new Eaststreet 99 to last weeks Laguna Regional and went faster by 2 seconds than he ever had before! In fact he and Mark D ran 1:45.6's on RR's...faster than only a few on Hoosiers at the Runoffs(granted...ideal track conditions). My point? He is a good shoe...and showed that with a better car. 

My original NA comment was in response to Walter who said why come to Daytona? Well, for many, its about the experience not the trophy...so I say party on Garth!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

"Daylight into Darkness" 2013, Charlotte (#88 in foreground :optimist: ). As you can see, some drivers chose not to use headlights and some cars didn't have headlights.

Windows fogging because of the rain was the biggest challenge.

Charlotte1_zpsztttyvds.jpg

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

My opinion for the headlight situation would be...instead of doing anything to the NB's...why not just put headlights in the running lights instead of that dim orange light.  There wont be any effect in aero at all. NA guys wont have to pop the lights up. 

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Because i'm not quite sure your point i'm going to guess why my opinion is not fact. I stated there were quite a few NA cars at Laguna last year...14 out of 45 to be exact(or close :) )...I think that is a few!

I stated not one had a chance of winning...yes, my opinion, based on the car and the competition! I was midleading...though I think even you Jim as a driver(this is a compliment)would have stood 0 chance in a 1.6 car and maybe a 5% chance in a NA1.8 car.

Here is a interesting fact for you...Local Tim Weaver(the fastest 1.6 car last year locally), brought his new Eaststreet 99 to last weeks Laguna Regional and went faster by 2 seconds than he ever had before! In fact he and Mark D ran 1:45.6's on RR's...faster than only a few on Hoosiers at the Runoffs(granted...ideal track conditions). My point? He is a good shoe...and showed that with a better car. 

My original NA comment was in response to Walter who said why come to Daytona? Well, for many, its about the experience not the trophy...so I say party on Garth!

more misleading BS...
I a sure you looked at both cars as you are always poking around.. You really think the only difference there was 99 vs 90. If so we really have little else to talk about.

Implying the 1.6 had 0 chance is just not accurate. the drivers in those 1.6 cars against that competition stood zero chance. you can stretch that to say none of the 99 stood a chance with Carbonell and Drennan both in VVt cars. More BS! The best driver in won in a good car, not the best car but a good one. if drennan was in a 1.6 prepped by any good shop.. your statement holds no credibility whatsoever.Yeah yeah, I know bla bla tested a 1.6 before hand.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

tynor

tynor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Region:Atlanta

Not that my opinion should count for anything (I have no intention of running at the runoffs this year), but do we really want our national championship to test the additional skills of racing in the dark?  I've run a couple of night enduros and, at least to me, there's a whole 'nother level of skill than simply racing the car.   Driving at night is... different.  Visual cues are missing.  Lights in the mirror are hard to judge.

Forget about the equality of cars -- do we want to favor those drivers with night racing experience over those that haven't had as much (or any) night seat time?

Steve Tynor

'99 SM

Atlanta, GA

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Amazing how the topic always turns around to parity.

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

^   :shame:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Amazing?  A runoffs discussion that turns into a parity beeaatch session?

"I do not think that word means what you think it means."

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

The third post in the thread was the start of parity. No matter what the topic it seams we go there.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Didn't the survey ask what generation of SM we have?

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users