Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

http://scca.cdn.race...elimMinutes.pdf

I think this is the important bit below.

Recommended Items for 2016
The following subjects will be referred to the Board of Directors for approval. Address all comments, both for and against, to the Club Racing Board. It is the BoD’s policy to withhold voting on a rules change until there has been input from the membership on the presented rules. Member input is suggested and encouraged. Please send your comments via the form at www.clubracingboard.com.

SM
1. #16783 (Club Racing Board) Update to 9.1.7.C.1.a.1.f.5
Replace the entirety of 9.1.7.C.1.a.f.5
Current: 5. Unshrouding of valves is explicitly limited as follows: there must be a sharp edge where the valve relief cut meets the chamber. That edge must be present and unmodified. This area is not to be blended by hand, machined, or chemically processed to create a smooth transition. The maximum dimensions are listed below, measuring guide centerline to chamber edge:
New: 5. Unshrouding of valves is explicitly limited as follows: The wall of allowed relief cut must be a single cut parallel and concentric with the valve guide for the full depth of the cut. The cut must be cylindrical with no taper. The bottom of the cut must form a 90º angle with an allowance for a bevel or curve whose length is not to exceed .040". There must be a sharp, non-modified and non de-burred edge where the valve relief cut first meets the chamber. No part of this cut is to be blended by hand, machined, or chemically processed to create a smooth transition. The maximum dimensions are listed below, measuring guide center line to chamber edge:
NOTE: The Final version of Fastrack will include a diagram depicting the above description.

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

ALL the time the SCCA had to look at the heads after the runoffs-------Thousands spent to adhere to the new rules for the heads and now a possible new one again....  You have got to be kidding!!!!!!!!!!

The chance was had to fix all the rules after the runoffs.   Anything done or not has past leave it be or people will walk.

• mellen and JRHille like this
Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

ALL the time the SCCA had to look at the heads after the runoffs-------Thousands spent to adhere to the new rules for the heads and now a possible new one again....  You have got to be kidding!!!!!!!!!!

The chance was had to fix all the rules after the runoffs.   Anything done or not has past leave it be or people will walk.

I am not technical enough to read those two definitions to appreciate the difference. I know I just spent a bunch of money to get my stuff to where I know it is compliant, If the above changes makes was is legal in 2015 not legal in 2016 then I agree 100%. you can do that to us twice. The bus has left the garage.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

https://www.youtube....h?v=fRbGWa8x-DA

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

This clarification came about all because we have motor builders playing fast and loose with the rules again.  In recent months, several of us have confirmed that at least one specific motor builder has been taking creative liberty with this specific rule and after testing found it to be a limited competitive advantage (less than 2 hp) but a competitive advantage none the less.   

Several of us tried to get a clarification out of SCCA, and were told verbally they didn’t like it and it would not pass inspection if they saw it.  After the recent race at NOLA when the area in concern was looked at and passed (without a protest just general inspection) it was decided that the issue needed to be addressed immediately and brought outside the normal process to the higher up powers that be within SCCA to get a formal written actionable ruling on the situation.  Either way, let if fly or not, we needed a formal written clarification quickly to allow everyone to be on a level playing field.

Given SCCA’s current process there was really no way of getting a formal clarification on the rule unless it went from a protest to the appeals process and then ruled on by the CRB.  This would have taken most of the year to accomplish and in my mind is not the proper way to handle this situation.

When brought to the appropriate powers that be in SCCA there was really one guy who championed the cause and made this happen.  I will let him choose to identify himself if he so desires, but without his logical and reasonable look at the situation then we would have had no choice but to go down the protest and appeal path which I don’t think is what is right for the long term health and perception of the class.  Instead this issue was brought up, reviewed and addressed in well under 60 days.  This in my opinion is a positive step and can eliminate the large protests like last years Runoffs.

Could and should it have been addressed earlier after compression and STR gate?  Yes, but that ship has sailed and we have no choice but to continue to try and do the best we can to continue tightening up the rule set and eliminate any gray areas AND come up with new procedures and tools to measure areas that have been historically hard to measure or tech.  The addition of the CCC to this process was a great start and with some more tooling and process hopefully we will get the shenanigans out of the motors quickly.

If the rules stand as they do today and you or your engine builder built your motor without a radius cut, then you are going to need to go out and buy a new head as that material has been removed and can not be put back if you want a motor built with the most HP legally possible.  Those that chose to put the radius on the cut can go back in and have it re-machined to eliminate the radius and be brought back into compliance (proposed rule) without purchasing a new head.  It is for this reason that my opinion is that the clarification is needed to keep the masses from having to throw out good legal heads to end up getting the last little bit out of the motor on a rule that in my opinion is being exploited.

As it stands right now it appears to me based on the Fastrack request for feedback that SCCA is taking the stance that the radius cut is allowed and will pass tech through at least the remainder of the year.

So.....  If you want to add more expense to the class then submit your letter to turn down the proposed rule clarification.  If you want to eliminate the need to go out and buy new heads to get the last little bit out of your motor then submit your letter supporting the rules clarification.

Whatever you decide, everyone needs to submit a letter.

Sean

Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Though I think i understand this...a picture would be priceless! Anyone?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

KW78

KW78

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

This reeks of another round of personal agenda pissing contest.

This class needs to get over the rampant fallacy that everyone gets a "level playing field"  What a bullshit statement.  Everyone gets a rulebook.  Maximize rules or don't, your performance will vary.

Just because someone does a slightly different valve job someone wants a rules rewrite??!!  Complete crap.  What is next, someone gets the CRB to define a spec alignment?  How about a spec starting cold pressure?  Spec cross weights?  All those make way more difference than some .040" debur or not debur or whatever the newest issue is.....  Jesus...

We are not Spec Racer Ford!!  We are like formula ford.  We should be called Formula Miata...  We have a few different motor choices and chassis combos.  YMMV ...

The real news here is that apparently the flat plate restrictor technology is such a piece of crap that some small machine process makes a difference. 

Same BS, different season... 

Leave the rules alone, let the racing attempt to recover.  I personally think its a longshot.  I count 9 spec miatas sitting here at my shop tonight who collectively decided to not put up with rules in flux all the time at the majors and have dropped out of the national scene.  Hallet, TWS, and Kansas trips all cancelled.  A few may do pueblo.  Pay attention SCCA.  An no, no one is going to bother with a letter, they will just speak with their wallet.

:fuming:

• Keith Andrews and J. Mizer like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26

How about proposing a rule that the SMAC can't screw with the class. 

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

SCCA should have stuck to their guns at the beginning of the year and made everyone go to a stock, unmodified head.

If the engine builders and the win at all cost crowd couldn't (tech shed legally) push the limits then SM would not have this problem.

PS: It WAS supposed to be a spec class, like SRF.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

How about proposing a rule that the SMAC can't screw with the class. 

SMAC please turn a blind eyes I want to put in my supercharger so I can go zoom zoom.

K. Webb