Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Disclaimer, I also DGAF about the legality of Dave's Cam bolts. 

the relevant rules seem to be: 

9.1.7.3.f  No relocation or reinforcement of any suspension component or mounting points is permitted.

9.1.7.3.g   Hardware items (nuts & bolts) may be replaced by similar items performing the same fastening function(s).

Debate away...

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

There you go not answering again.. Compliant or non compliant to GCR please? I know it's hard as Dave is one of your guys.. if it were me, it would be a lot easier :)

Discalimer: I could care less about Daves cam bolts

If I were to declare compliant or non-compliant per the written rule intent, that would be way to much fodder for your guys.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

If I were to declare compliant or non-compliant per the written rule intent, that would be way to much fodder for your guys.

hypocrite

[hip-uh-krit] 
Spell Syllables
noun
a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she 
does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private 
life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

This would be "the pot calling the kettle black".

hypocrite

[hip-uh-krit] 
Spell Syllables
noun
a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she 
does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private 
life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:51

This would be "the pot calling the kettle black".

Racist

• Jim Drago likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

IMO, anyone who would protest this should have their man card revoked and play golf instead

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

Final answer: They are legal...

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:73
I'll add they are installed in the last car I built and work nicely.
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Paraphrasing: Hardware items are free as long as they perform the same function, in the same manner and do not perform a non-compliant function. The exception being internal engine components.

dave

I understand what your all talking about. No intent to protest. Only desire is to learn what makes these washers/cams legal.

Dave, fasteners are free per the rule and we should be using the GCR glossary definition of fastener.

Was there a FasTrack that allowed these washers/cams to be thicker?

• Jim Drago likes this

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts

Bench you're out of your depth on this one...  They are legal...  Period end of story....  Its not even remotely debatable...  Read the rules some more.....

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  1. Hardware items (nuts & bolts) may be replaced by similar items performing the same fastening function(s). 

The word "Fasteners" is NEVER used in the SM portion of the GCR as its listed in the CHASSIS section.... Please don't confuse this with what is listed in the ENGINE section...  Do some more reading!  Stop stirring the pot....  No need for FastTRack to spell this out, its already VERY CLEAR!!!!

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Mike, indeed I was reading in the engine area fasteners (nuts, bolts, screws, washers, studs, etc.) and not the chassis area hardware (nuts & bolts).  

Not stirring the pot, I'd call flat washers and lock washers hardware, but I wouldn't call cam washers which change the camber angle nuts and bolts hardware nor would I call the cam bolt normal nuts and bolts hardware referencing the hardware rule. The glossary has no definition for hardware and other definitions of hardware include many items well beyond nuts and bolts including computers.

Serious question, how does one clearly know what is hardware and what is not hardware? A control arm is hardware, the spindle is hardware and the front hubs are hardware.   

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Not stirring the pot, I'd call flat washers and lock washers hardware, but I wouldn't call cam washers which change the camber angle nuts and bolts hardware nor would I call the cam bolt normal nuts and bolts hardware referencing the hardware rule. The glossary has no definition for hardware and other definitions of hardware include many items well beyond nuts and bolts including computers.

This is a good point. Having not seen Daves replacements(guessing they are just thicker), I would guess they are only performing a longevity factor and not a performance factor? We can buy from Mazda OEM front wheel/hub bearings or we can buy the HD version...similar concept?

History has told us "VERY CLEAR" can be blurry to some. Not a bad idea to have these little debates aired out. Just avoid the "T" word for awhile David :)

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

First off, any parts that we come up with that do not make the car go faster, but just last longer, thus cheaper, should never ever be the subject of a protest. It is withing the intent of the class to make this low cost racing. There are many examples of things on the cars that were just not designed for what we do to them.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

No protest, don't disagree with Franks post, just open discussion, understanding rules the reason for words within parenthesis succeeding hardware (nuts and bolts) is? 

ner88

ner88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Region:NER/CFR
  • Car Number:98

I've seen washers ground down to gain adjustment..............

Personally, I would argue these are adjusters and not hardware.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

First

I appreciate and applaud Bench for actually given a real opinion and stating it clearly!  :thumbsup:

Disclaimer: I could care less about these bolts and we get enough adjustment ( too much now with bushings) If we are talking compliant to the letter of the law. I agree with Bench,( did I really just type that ) :)

These are adjusters and we are limited to FACTORY adjustments and bushings ONLY on camber. The shaft of this bolt is different, the washer is different. If there is .010 difference between the total distance(washer edge to edge of the shaft) , they provide an adjustment that is non compliant ( I don't know this to be true btw and Dave says it is not) 

Again, how closely do we want to go with the nonsense?  Just a good discussion, nothing more nothing less. 

Jim

• Ron Alan likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts

As long as Dave's nuts and bolts provide the same fastening function and don't do anything else they are legal.  Anything else would be described as a mechanical advantage.  If Dave's nuts and bolts adjust the same as stock ones all is well with the world.  And remember there are at least 5 different versions of stock ones and they are not all the same....

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

First

I appreciate and applaud Bench for actually given a real opinion and stating it clearly!  :thumbsup:

Disclaimer: I could care less about these bolts and we get enough adjustment ( too much now with bushings) If we are talking compliant to the letter of the law. I agree with Bench,( did I really just type that ) :)

These are adjusters and we are limited to FACTORY adjustments and bushings ONLY on camber. The shaft of this bolt is different, the washer is different. If there is .010 difference between the total distance(washer edge to edge of the shaft) , they provide an adjustment that is non compliant ( I don't know this to be true btw and Dave says it is not) 

Again, how closely do we want to go with the nonsense?  Just a good discussion, nothing more nothing less. 

Jim

We haven't had a debate about valve stems yet.  Maybe that's next?  

• FTodaro likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users