Dexter Racing

Dexter Racing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:07

Hi, I think I am having some kind of fuel issue although not entirely sure. I'm running the adjustable fuel pressure regulator in the trunk of my 2003 sm and at idle I have it set at about 57-58 psi. The car runs rich on the afr (12.7 ish), but it takes huge leaps in fuel pressure change to get much of a change in the afr. Watching the fuel pressure during a dyno run, the pressure begins to drop all the way down to about 49-50 psi at around 5 thousand rpm. Is this drop in pressure normal? The car makes great torque, but bad power numbers... just trying to figure out how to squeeze that last 5 hp the car is missing. I'm not really sure what would make to have this drop but still maintain a rich afr (being measured right behind the manifold). Any ideas??

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

Hi, I think I am having some kind of fuel issue although not entirely sure. I'm running the adjustable fuel pressure regulator in the trunk of my 2003 sm and at idle I have it set at about 57-58 psi. The car runs rich on the afr (12.7 ish), but it takes huge leaps in fuel pressure change to get much of a change in the afr. Watching the fuel pressure during a dyno run, the pressure begins to drop all the way down to about 49-50 psi at around 5 thousand rpm. Is this drop in pressure normal? The car makes great torque, but bad power numbers... just trying to figure out how to squeeze that last 5 hp the car is missing. I'm not really sure what would make to have this drop but still maintain a rich afr (being measured right behind the manifold). Any ideas??

You have a failing fuel pump.  Your fuel pressure should not fluctuate that much.  Maybe 1-2 psi as things heat up.  

• Jim Drago likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

Your too lean.... and it seems like a little bit too large of a drop. 

12.7 at what rpm? 

Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dexter Racing

Dexter Racing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:07

ok, so the fuel pump is only able to give the 50 ish psi at the high flow rate which means even if I change the fuel pressure it "leaks" down to the 50 psi at high rpm which is why I'm not able to mess with the afr... looks like I better get one of those on order!!

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
Replace entire assembly. The 01 up pumps are known too have pin holes in the tree assembly. These pin holes cause weird issues
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Replace entire assembly. The 01 up pumps are known too have pin holes in the tree assembly. These pin holes cause weird issues

Great information! I've got a finicky 01 with (I assume) the original assembly. Time to eliminate one suspect.

Have you tried any aftermarket ones or only direct from Mazda?
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Steve
What Chris is talking about is the tree, not the pump. I dont think they sell those aftermarket? We have had this issue as well
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Number:11

So...

I have a 99, after I turn the car off, the system holds pressure sometimes only for a few hours and sometimes for days.  It this an early indicator of imminent failure or potential intermittent operation?  Meaning should i just replace it?  Or is it fine and just a faulty check valve.  

Yes, the pump can hold the set pressure on the dyno during the pulls...

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

So...

I have a 99, after I turn the car off, the system holds pressure sometimes only for a few hours and sometimes for days.  It this an early indicator of imminent failure or potential intermittent operation?  Meaning should i just replace it?  Or is it fine and just a faulty check valve.  

We can let the pros answer but from my experience pumps hold pressure, ranging from a few min. to something less than 60 min.  Part of that can depend on the regulator also. I monitor fuel pressure in the car and you should be concerned with dropping pressure under a load.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
I know Jim, but I have seen for many cars the complete unit aftermarket, such as Eclipse. Thought maybe a similar source exists for Miata.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I know Jim, but I have seen for many cars the complete unit aftermarket, such as Eclipse. Thought maybe a similar source exists for Miata.

could be, I have not seen though

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

So...

Razer,

Please take this with big grain of salt. I AM NOT AN EXPERT.

When my pressure bleeds down on the fuel rail ( I have a 97 with the pressure gauge in the engine compartment ) within a short time ( a day or less, even multiple days ), I start to worry. I have lost engines because the car goes lean due to leaking injector insulators and o-rings. If I see it leaking down I replace the o-rings and insulators immediately. If it continues to leak down I service or replace the injectors. If it is still leaking down I replace the pressure gauge and rubber fuel lines going to the rail and gauge. So far these have always fixed the issue and I haven't had to go deeper yet.

But in my opinion, the pressure should be 70 % retained after a day of not running. In my case, this means holding about 25 lbs at all times when the car isn't running minimum. Typical seems to be about holding 30 lbs after a day.

I am an amateur mechanic. If the pro mechanics have a different opinion, I would disregard what I am saying and go with what they recommend.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

The 01 up pumps are known too have pin holes in the tree assembly. These pin holes cause weird issues

Help, tree assembly???

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Help, tree assembly???

The metal assembly that the fuel pump mounts to.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Did you want to mention the return line mod ?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I'm with you Jamz, except that the insulators don't hold pressure. An an injector with the drips can also cause that cylinder to be rich and not burn cleanly.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Did you want to mention the return line mod ?
J~

??

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Run the return over the sock/strainer

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

I'm with you Jamz, except that the insulators don't hold pressure. An an injector with the drips can also cause that cylinder to be rich and not burn cleanly.

LOL, I knew someone was going to mention that. True. Just in the habit of replacing all the rubber parts once I have gone through the trouble of removing the rail.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
I'll add I've never seen an nb hold pressure for long. Aka drops at shut off and soon after it is 0
And I've seen a few 😜
  • Jim Drago likes this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users