14 replies to this topic

vichang4

vichang4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:12
I am trying to decide what needs to be done to this engine to get it back up to racing condition. Here are the leakdown and compression tests on the 1.6L spare engine I just removed from my car. The engine was running very well, but just down a little on power.

cylinder comp dry comp wet leakdown
1 135 140 10%
2 135 140 12%
3 135 139 10%
4 140 142 8%

During the leakdown test I could hear noise from the oil fill hole (valves leaking). No noise from exhaust or dipstick hole.

The compression numbers seem very low for an engine with only a 10% leakdown?? Would a fresh valve job bring these numbers up into the 190 range where this engine should be? Should I also be looking at rebuilding the bottom end. The engine only has 20 race days since a total rebuild.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Did you do the leakdown on the engine warm or cold?

Compression numbers are not a very reliable test. Could be the gauge etc, they are are all close.

The air noise you hear through oil cap is rings, not valves.

If those numbers were cold, that engine is still in pretty decent shape more than likely.

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
The compression numbers do look low for that leakdown. I would questions:

Battery strength, a weak battery turns the engine slower and you get lower numbers.
Compression guage accuracy, compare to another guage
Are you checking compression with all plugs removed? Engine turns faster with no plugs than with 3 plugs

Regarding leak down numbers;

There are 5 places for air to escape causing leakdown.
1- Intake valve. You will hear air from the intake. Easy to here with air crossover removed, open and close throttle to see if sound changes.

2- Exhaust valve. Air escapes out tail pipe. Due to length of exhaust the easiest way to check is by closing off tail pipe with your hand for a few seconds, then allow for air to escape and feel/listen for air escaping

3- piston/rings. You will hear air escaping from the oil filler cap. Again, put your hand over the hole and listen as you create an air leak. The dipstick tube is too restrictive to give any indication.

4- cooling sytem. Could be head gasket or cracked block/head. You will pressurize the radiator and can see bubbles and/or pressure in the radiator neck

5-Into the next cylinder. Usually this is a BIG leak, causing zero compression in both cylinders.

Your original post does not give enough info to accurately diagnose you engine.

In general 7% leakage will cause a power loss. 10% will definately cause lake of power. Fresh engines are 2% out the rings or better. Zero on the valves.

Hope this helps
dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
And I agree with Jim on warm engine versus cold

Dave

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:91
And throttle open!
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

vichang4

vichang4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for all the feedback.
The engine was hot.
Fresh optima battery.
Throttle was wide open.
All plugs removed.
Checked with two different compression gauges, one very old and one brand new, same results.
Also used 2 different leak down gauges, same results.
I did not do the open and close throttle test or the tailpipe test, but air was definitely coming out of the oil filler hole.

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
Why an optima battery. It is significantly heavier than the oem battery, which makes it non compliant. And a legitimate rules infraction as you have added weight to the right rear which is a performance advantage.

The guage readings still seem weird. But you need to do the leakdown again to determine if you have any valve leakage.

I would recomend having someone familiar with Spec miatas assist with the test. Determining "how bad is bad" requires experience knowing what is normal/acceptable air flow out the oil cap.

dave

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68
I did pretty well last year with a 10-12% leakdown motor, but it was definitely time to freshen over the winter. Agree with re-testing by someone experienced, as the compression numbers don't correlate with the leakdown numbers.

-bw

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

vichang4

vichang4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks for the info. I did not think the leakdown vs compression numbers made sense. I even checked the cam timing searching for something not right. Everything checks out except the compression numbers? I'll do the leakdown again looking for valve leakage.

Protech Racing

Protech Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
Faulty leak down #s. , + bad rings.

http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

mogren@tampabay.rr.com, 352.428/8983

vichang4

vichang4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK, did a little more work.

Performed both tests again, with similar numbers. On the leak down test I pulled the front intake boot off to listen for valve leaks. With oil filler hole open, I could maybe hear a leak from the intake manifold. With the oil filler hole capped, intake valve leaks were obvious on all four cylinders. An exhaust valve leak was only detectable on 1 cylinder and only if I put my ear right up to the end of the exhaust pipe.

I am still facing the question, do I do a complete rebuild, or just the head. The compression vs leak down numbers do not make sense. I will take the engine to the local SM guru and see what he says.

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
I like using a mechanics stethoscope to help determine where leaks originate. About 5 bucks.

http://www.harborfre...cope-41966.html

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:91
If you hear or feel air coming from the oil filler, it's rings. Of course, all 3 can be leaking (rings, exhaust and intake valves).
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Richard Pressman

Richard Pressman

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:87
Since leaks can come from multiple places, would sealing all but one of the potential air leak paths give a more accurate assessment of the remaining "open" path? IE: close off everything but the intake, then everything but the oil fill hole, etc. Might help to decide what to fix and what to leave if budget is tight?
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

OK, did a little more work.

Performed both tests again, with similar numbers. On the leak down test I pulled the front intake boot off to listen for valve leaks. With oil filler hole open, I could maybe hear a leak from the intake manifold. With the oil filler hole capped, intake valve leaks were obvious on all four cylinders. An exhaust valve leak was only detectable on 1 cylinder and only if I put my ear right up to the end of the exhaust pipe.

I am still facing the question, do I do a complete rebuild, or just the head. The compression vs leak down numbers do not make sense. I will take the engine to the local SM guru and see what he says.

Assuming a warm motor and properly done test, your numbers are not good IMO. With leakage at the valves and rings you should probably get the entire motor rebuilt. If you just do a head and still have more than desired ring leak when you're done, you probably won't be happy you cut a corner. If the motor is old and worn enough to have poor leakdown numbers, chances are there are other parts that need to be refreshed while you're at it. More expensive now but probably cheaper in the long run IMO if you plan to run the car for a few years.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users