Ken Nesbit

Ken Nesbit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:17
Wow... that's when you had to have a pair to race !!!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
That's what he said...

http://www.bing.com/...VR5&FORM=LKVR12

J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20
Some of those clips were shot not too long after I started racing. Seat belts were required, and a roll bar, but that was all pretty new.
wheel

Ernie Jr.

Ernie Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2012
  • Car Number:98
im never going on the track without a HANS.

Ernie Francis Jr.
www.ErnieFrancisJrRacing.com
Pirelli World Challenge TCB/GTS Driver

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Scottie

Scottie

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:19
wow. those dudes clicked when they walked.
How do I fit this Ls7 into my mia.... nevermind

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995

Wow... that's when you had to have a pair to race !!!

With some of them, you needed a pair but they had to be bundled up tight or they'd get wrapped around the exposed drive shaft running right between your legs.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
One famous racer, of that era was famous for jumping out of his car, as it crashed. Nuvolari, Fangio, or one of those dudes. Car slides off track at warp speed....I know I'm going to crash, better bail out right here......Thump... thump..... thump. I'm ready for the next race.

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
Don't confuse bravery with stupidity.

What gets me is after witnessing a few of these shunts, wouldn't someone, anyone, think "Hey, there's got to be a better system than getting thrown from the car."

And who the Hell thinks it's a good idea to stand RIGHT BESIDE A RACETRACK when cars are speeding by.

Clear evidence that people really are getting smarter, even though it doesn't seem like it sometimes.
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Jerry Cabe

Jerry Cabe

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Region:Cincy Region SCCA
  • Car Number:10 SM

And who the Hell thinks it's a good idea to stand RIGHT BESIDE A RACETRACK when cars are speeding by.

Uh Denny, Your friendly Corner Worker does it all the time; half the time with their back to the oncoming traffic. That is why there are such close bonds developed between Corner Workers, since you are literally trusting your partner to cover your back. I'm not saying that there isn't some missing "rational person" gene in any of our makeup though.

Jerry Cabe
2014 Cincy Region Race Chair

"Just driving SM until the F1 is ready - Well the F-1 car is ready, but I'm not."

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes

I'm not saying that there isn't some missing "rational person" gene in any of our makeup though.

Remember, you said it, not me. :P
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Ken Nesbit

Ken Nesbit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Region:WDC
@ wheel, I think I remember Moss saying something like that in one of his books. I also remember when they changed the rule from a single hoop with two braces going back and added the bar from the top of the hoop to the floor, and the real sad part ...not being able to afford putting the single bar in.

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

WRC fans? Thanks, but I'll watch on TV.

edit: I just got to watch this from home (work firewalls). Holy smokes. Sorry, but that was just insanity. Amazing that some of those guys walked away. Obviously, many didn't.

Kudo

Kudo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Number:77
As a young guy who is getting into the sport, its good to know the history. This is a... graphic... reminder of why we have all those safety systems. And I'm happy to say that I'm glad Hans are going to be mandatory.

I could never imagine anyone ever saying their life was not worth the price of a Hans. I recall reading some people being all up in arms, and its like, just factor the price into the already expensive cost of maintaining a car/suit/helmet. The cost is negligible and the benefit is so major.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder of racing's past.
---

kudo

Driver #07, Crew
Motion Sickness Racing
Sonoma, CA

Elliott Skeer

Elliott Skeer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Region:Nor/So Cal
  • Car Year:1999

Right beside? Group B went past that
http:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4UuZ5mauKk
  • JRHille likes this
"Punk Ass Kid" -Track HQ's top SM contributor.
Working to call myself a GT driver.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Brian Laughlin

Brian Laughlin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:Mid-west
  • Car Number:25
I agree with both sides, though I wear a hans myself. What happened to having the balls/guts to get in a racecar. That's why the old timers were treated like rock starts. They we're a form of gladiator if you will. Knowing death could be around the next turn. Crazy stuff there. The only thing I don't completely agree with is the guys that would get a few lines of coke in their system to run 12-16hrs at a 24hr long race. That's a little over the top. I like reading the old scca rules "Do not approach an over turned car with a cigarette, don't cross the racking surface while cars are going by, etc.."...oh have the times changed.
6 Road Course Championships
6 Track Records
2 Rookie of the year titles
Pro-I.T. race win 2009 @ the ARRC
2009 ARRC Endurance Class win ITA
2010 Winner of the BFGoodrich SCCA SUPER TOUR, STU class
2010 ARRC ITA Championship race runner-up

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Number:30
Our great grandchildren will marvel that people actually raced while IN the cars. That is, after they make allowances for our stupidity and self-centered disregard for the environmental consequences of wasting energy on endeavors not sanctioned by the Government. If racing was good for you, the Government would require it.

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995

Our great grandchildren will marvel that people actually raced while IN the cars.

Without significant consequences, there is far less excitement. That probably comes with the next generation of video games. You get zapped with a tazer and it charges your debit account every time you hit something or blow the engine. Kinda like paintball where it hurts bad enough that you really don't want to get shot.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
Boemler,
You got it. The only way the government will allow your grand children to take a risk, and go out on the edge, will be in the military. Then they will still deny them proper medical care, when they get fk'd up, just like they do today.
wheel

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Number:30

Without significant consequences, there is far less excitement. That probably comes with the next generation of video games. You get zapped with a tazer and it charges your debit account every time you hit something or blow the engine.

By then they'll just up your taxes. Not sure what they'll do a couple of generations later, when taxes are already 100%.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users