• Please log in to reply
1001 replies to this topic

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Steve, do you think those minor changes you named would make the NA 1.6 competitive with the NB & NB vvt?

If a 1.6 is not competitive in the first few laps on a cool day now, then no. I think the proposed changes will make it easier to have a "good" header, but in theory a "top prep" already has that, and allow it to finish better rather by losing less power to hot I take air. The flywheel will help slightly in 2nd gear and less up from there but is unlikely to be evident in lap times or data unless you are super consistent and have 2nd gear corners.

So if a top prep 1.6 can't keep up with the NBs early in the race now, they still won't. But if they can keep up early now other than getting checked up in 2nd, then this might help them there and later in the race.

My best guess anyway.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:38
Steve a good percentage of the 1.6 cars did not even know about the weight change at the beginning of the year.
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Probably true Ralph, but that should not in ANY way influence what decisions are made. That very fact is proof that they fit into the "just for fun" crowd, which is fine but parity adjustments have never been based on them.
  • Alberto likes this

jdmrrs

jdmrrs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:AutobahnCC
  • Car Year:9099
  • Car Number:2x/2

Bench Racer,

The ABCC dyno comparison was 1.6 before and after the header. The track tests were the 1.6 and a '99. Summarized results in a letter to SMAC. Be glad to share 1.6 results if helpful. We did not want to start an "arms race" but also wanted to avoid two sets of rules (aka "Majors/National" & "Regional supplements"). So far, our members, as a whole, seem happy - which was our goal.

Jim Morris

#2, 2X & 722

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Jim, thank you for the summarized results letter to the SMAC.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Bench Racer,
The ABCC dyno comparison was 1.6 before and after the header. The track tests were the 1.6 and a '99. Summarized results in a letter to SMAC. Be glad to share 1.6 results if helpful. We did not want to start an "arms race" but also wanted to avoid two sets of rules (aka "Majors/National" & "Regional supplements"). So far, our members, as a whole, seem happy - which was our goal.

Jim=

If you don't mind, I would like to see the summarized results. I was just planning g on doing some similar testing to support a letter. But, if you've already done that on several cars that carries more weight. So, I might as well cast my vote in support of your data. Others here might be willing to do the same after review.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

jdmrrs

jdmrrs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts

OK, as requested, here is the basic data from the Midwest Eurosport dyno where owner George Weathered tuned the car. We optimized output on a strong, fairly fresh Stewart motor with and without a Racing Beat header. We chose the specific header based on word-of-mouth recommendations and Racing Beat's wealth of published dyno results.

RPM/T/HP (OEM) >> T/HP (Header)'

4400 110/93>>115/97, 4600 111/97>>116/102, 4800 113/103>>116/106, 5000 113/107>>116/110, 5200 113/112>>117/115, 5400 112/115>>115/118, 5600 114/122>>116/124, 5800 112/123>>113/125, 6000 109/125>>112/127, 6200 107/127>>110/130, 6400 105/127>>107/131, 6600 100/126>>104/131 ...

I pulled these numbers from the hard copy, so my reading of the graphs is +/- 1 unit.

• Bench Racer and Danny Steyn like this

Jim Morris

#2, 2X & 722

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Jim thanks for sharing your data. This is the sort of thing that helps us make informed decisions.

SO Jim, If I read your numbers correctly, at the following RPM's the Racing Beat header provided a net gain of

5,000 RPM - 3HP / 3TQ

5,600 RPM - 2HP / 2TQ

6,000 RPM - 2HP / 3TQ

6,600 RPM - 5HP / 4TQ

These are very impressive numbers if they are achieved with only a header.

What is the cost of the header?

Do you still have access to the dyno files for the car with and without the header? These would be very valuable

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

jdmrrs

jdmrrs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts

The header was about $450, and a nicely built piece. The results were, better than I expected (being a skeptic), similar to Racing Beat's claimed magnitude of improvement but less than the "SCCA special committee" data posted earlier on this site for another brand header.

I will call George at Midwest Eurosport and see if I can electronically grab the file.

• Danny Steyn likes this

Jim Morris

#2, 2X & 722

Mark McCallister

Mark McCallister

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:40

IMHO, if those numbers are close to right, it will address the torque deficit and eliminate a cheat, should be close to a no brainer.  Nobody, including budget racers like me, should complain about a one-time bolt-on that costs less than a set of tires.  SCCA ought to be able to negotiate a discount with whoever's piece gets specified, as there will be quantity savings in production.  May have to add a plate to the 1.6 to knock the top end back down, but I'm fine with that.  Much better than the can of worms and questionable benefits with the flywheel mods.  It would be nice to confirm that there are no blatant induced fitment problems with the popular exhausts with the change.  Should we specify that header wrapping is OK from the start?

• Alberto likes this

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Should we specify that header wrapping is OK from the start?

cf76594549c36a7810db5792ef1a076a64d3077a

• Alberto likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

If those numbers are at all accurate...you can kiss that idea goodbye

https://www.google.c...CFcs2iAodwVoNsw

Ron

RAmotorsports

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Approve, track test, if it's a Mastiff, open up the 97 plus cars restrictor plates, win win.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Wrap tends to cause header tubes to overheat and get brittle, shortening their life. The RB piece is stainless so it's less of a problem (I think) but it also inherently needs much less shielding than mild ferrous steel. Regardless, I would prefer a good heat shield over wrap.

Regardless, single-source spec parts are not popular with some on the SMAC, for good reason. At the same time, let's not encourage a lot of new R&D even if most of it would be hype. I wonder how many would actually sell in the first year? Guarantees on consistency, price and supply might be possible with a long established and stable company. I would think that closer to $350 each would still be a very attractive opportunity.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

If those numbers are at all accurate...you can kiss that idea goodbye

I agree, a good header has the potential to make the 1.6 competitive with the NB and, well, you know, WE CAN'T HAVE THAT.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

As an owner of most of the models I will support a header for the 1.6.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I agree, a good header has the potential to make the 1.6 competitive with the NB and, well, you know, WE CAN'T HAVE THAT.

You take a very good 1.6 car and give it those gains...you will not have any 99 cars at the front of the field...because all the pointy end guys will be driving a 1.6!

125/107 and 2275 will be unbeatable on the West Coast given equal drivers! Take that for what its worth because i'm only comparing CA drivers...

And 1.6 drivers...gaining back 50 or 75 lbs is not worth a bump like this IMO

Ron

RAmotorsports

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38

Just for reference.

From past testing on the 1.8, 99 and VVT cars the restrictor plates effected the entire HP/TQ curve. It did not affect just the top end or just the bottom end. I do not have any data on how exactly a plate would effect a 1.6. 

Adding weight to a car tends to counter act torque. Hence why the VVT cars are currently enjoying a 25 Lb gain over the 99s. 

just food for thought.

Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

125/107 and 2275 will be unbeatable on the West Coast given equal drivers!

I know all dynos read differently - 123-124 hp from a 1.6 is the current 'high' normal for cars in the Great Lakes. We ain't taking THAT big of a jump.

You take a very good 1.6 car and give it those gains...you will not have any 99 cars at the front of the field...because all the pointy end guys will be driving a 1.6!

You got any data to back that up? Or is this like "Mazda Raceway/Laguna Seca is a 1.6 track" ?

• Alberto likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users