• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

larsonracing

larsonracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:Mid-Alantic
I was wondering how I should store my miata outdoors. Will a car cover, then a tarp over top work with wheel covers? Is that enough coverage and protection?

Dave Metz

Dave Metz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:36
I've had mice build quite the nest in the air box and eat wiring while in the garage over winter. Good luck!
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

larsonracing

larsonracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

I've had mice build quite the nest in the air box and eat wiring while in the garage over winter. Good luck!

Even in the Garage!

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Maybe shrink-wrap like a boat?
Don't know the cost...

http://dudamobile.mo...hrink_wrap#2648
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Number:59

I just use a car cover and it's fine. Usually have to buy a new one each year though...

Also have a problem with rodents, if anyone has suggestions apart from poison let me know, natural deterrents etc.

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Good ol' fashioned mouse traps baited with peanut butter work great.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

There is a pretty cool deal called Rid-A-Rat, that I use on some of the truck and tractor at the ranch.  It is an LED strobe light.  It runs off the battery and takes almost nothing in the way of power.  

wheel

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

Mine is stored outside. I do use a good car-cover. Rubber-band a plastic bag over the intake opening and place a ball of aluminum foil in the exhaust tip. Put a string or something on that so you can remove it easily. Damp-Rid container in the car to absorb moisture. Change the oil and put Sta-bil in the gas (when sitting for the winter). My biggest frustration right now, is with spiders. Only takes a couple weeks sitting and they have webbed control arms or wheel wells, etc. Gotta clean all them out to do any work on the car. Most are harmless, but killed a big Black Widow recently... Not the kind of bite I want before an event.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Diller

Diller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Number:13

I had a bad problem with mice building nests in the air box. I started going through a ton of traps and it seemed like the mice were reproducing faster than I could kill them. It actually got so out of hand that I bought a cat to live outside the shop and haven't had a single mouse since.

Edit: When I was using the traps, peanut butter was by far the best bait.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

larsonracing

larsonracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
As far as tires goes, what do I do for those?

Dave Metz

Dave Metz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:36

I grabbed a set of junk stock wheels and street tires (craigslist usually is pretty cheap) then kept any race tires I planned on using again inside.
  • ChrisA and larsonracing like this
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ScratchRob13

ScratchRob13

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:13

I store in a garage with no heat and rodents.... I put Moth Balls under the hood in the airbox, on the valve cover, in the cab, and in the trunk, and some randomly under the car on the ground.... no isssues.

They don't like the moth balls and stay away... then come spring... take the out of the cab, and by the end of the first race never smell it again for the rest of the season.

Besides smelling like your grandfather the first day of spring when opening the car back up for the year..... it works wonders.

'01 Miata SM #13

SCCA NER

MDixon

MDixon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Region:NorCal
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Put up on jack stands and remove all 5 wheels, will help it from disappearing.

Matt Dixon

Car owner/Checkbook

https://www.youtube....DRIVERforLIFE94

mhiggins10

mhiggins10

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Region:SOWDIV
  • Car Year:1990

What other things do you guys do to prep the car for storage?  Change oil/trans/diff fluids (flush/change again before next race)?  Brake fluid? Battery tender?  Start it every so often, maybe run it up to temp around the block once or twice a month?  Anything else?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

What other things do you guys do to prep the car for storage?  Change oil/trans/diff fluids (flush/change again before next race)?  Brake fluid? Battery tender?  Start it every so often, maybe run it up to temp around the block once or twice a month?  Anything else?

I change the fluids, except brake fluid, before putting it to bed. Anti-freeze in the radiator, since it gets cold up here. Disconnect the battery/flip the switch. I usually throw the smart charger on it at least once during the winter and them before bringing it back to life. Don't run the car after putting it down, that just puts pollutants and moisture the oil and wear on the engine. Springtime, pump out the old gas, flush the brake fluid, replace anti-freeze with WW and go race.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

The prod folks in general store their tires in a black bag in dark basement above freezing.

Hoosier

FREEZE WARNING

Freeze Crack Advisory: This advisory addresses proper storage and use of Hoosier tires in cold conditions. Hoosier Tires, especially asphalt and hard compound tires, may experience Rubber Cracking if the tires are transported, crushed, flexed or stressed when frozen. The following guidelines are provided to avoid this problem.
           1. Always store Hoosier Racing Tires indoors at temperatures above 32° F.
           2. If tires have been subject to 32° F or less, allow them to warm to room temperature (about 70° F)
               for a minimum of 24 hrs before tire is mounted, transported or flexed.
           3. Always use spare tires not intended for future competition to store vehicles for prolonged periods
               of time or winter transport.
           4. If below freezing temperatures are expected, please consider shipping tires once more favorable conditions exist.
Do not use tires that have evidence of Freeze Crack Damage.

WARNING

Service Life For Race Tires: Old tires can fail in use, causing loss of vehicle control and personal injury. Environmental conditions like temperature extremes, exposure to sunlight, electric arc, solvents, automotive fluids, and atmospheric pollutants accelerate the aging process. Hoosier Racing Tire strongly recommends that new (sticker) tires should be put in service within 2 years of date of purchase. Used (scuffed) tires have a shorter service life than new (sticker) tires. Poor storage and infrequent use accelerate the aging process.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac

You might want to pull the fire extinguisher or bottle also. Most don't tolerate freezing.

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users