Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I have and continue to be one of the biggest proponents of tech, especially at the Runoffs.. but I think the unspoken downside of this is the amount of dollars wasted to prove our cars are running legitimate.

This past weekend.. I had to completely disassemble my engine with a spun rod bearing to maintain my 15th  place starting position or start in the back and be labelled a cheater ;).  Todd Buras had to completely disassemble his car to pieces for what amounts to a 4th place finish, not a single contingency dollar to offset what will certainly be a $6500-8500 reassemble bill. He didn't even get a $10.00 trophy for 4th place.  He is basically paying to refresh a motor that has about 4 hours on it at this point. Complete trans rebuild and then all of this stuff needs to be reassembled. 

Each time these heads are coming off at majors... the average cost to competitors is $1500-2500. We all were and are ready for compliance checks, at some point checking the same cars and the same people for the same things seems pretty silly and very costly. I would much rather go to an extra event or two with these funds than spend that money proving compliance. If someone feels a competitor is cheating, we have a system in place, let them spend their money to investigate. Or start back with the compliance fund if none of want to protest. If found compliant, the people torn down should be reimbursed for the expenses.  

Some of my customers who have already proved themselves compliant are ready to start refusing to pull off parts in post race impound and take the DQ. It is less expensive and they know where they finished as do their competitors.  We tried to hold off on the Buras tear down until the appeal of Goring was completed as we knew this was a possibility. We put it off until we were told start tearing it apart or we are bringing in 6th place. the end result was a huge tear down bill, no trophy, no contingency money. What is the upside here?  Before we start sprouting off about the STR gate and last year, please remember ALL those cars past post race inspection, but failed the protest. The competitors are still the best tech inspectors in our class as we all know the cars better than tech ever will. 

Tech and club have a tough job here. I think they did a great job all week if I am being honest. I just see the writing on the wall here.. This is becoming a problem. I have no answer, but there is definitely a problem.  Someone other than the competitor should be responsible for the tear down bond here. If Mazda and or SCCA wants to scrutinize our class 25x more than any other class, than they should reimburse those that pass this inspection, it seems only fair to me. Asking someone to pay the costs to get to the runoffs, the ridiculous parking, the weeks time and then another 6-7000 to reassemble their car for the privilege of racing in the event seems absolutely ridiculous. We have just conditioned ourselves to accept this as the norm.

Jim

• KW78, pmillion, Danica Davison and 1 other like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

I'm glad you said this.  Yes, tech has a very tough job and I think there has to be invasive tech from time to time to validate results and compliance.  Given that, competitors should be compensated somehow.  Otherwise I think we will see people putting their cars on trailers and going home without going to tech.  I would do that in a heartbeat if nobody was readily available to help me take a car apart and if that meant watching the sun go down on a Sunday night before towing home.  Something should change before that (putting cars on trailers) forces the issue.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

I would do that in a heartbeat if nobody was readily available to help me take a car apart and if that meant watching the sun go down on a Sunday night before towing home.  Something should change before that (putting cars on trailers) forces the issue.  

I think it is closer than many think. Most at the front have always been ready, willing and able to prove compliance, still will. guys like me who have employees and can absorb the cost have no choice.. But guys like Todd, Danny,Craig,Blake and many other guys who run at the front and do none of their own work and have to pay full price are going to start getting tired of it. Many already are.  

I won't speak for anyone specifically, but I know more than a few are prepared to pull their head off once and only once unless compensated next year, after that they are loading up and going home with a DQ if that is what it means.  

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

Jim, the problem is the way the rules are written its a DQ and 6 month suspension...

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

I am not disagreeing with anything Jim has said, BUT;

We ran under the premise that it was the competitors who should do the protesting. And look what happened a year ago. And a year later we are still finding non-compliant parts on front running cars. Evan at the Runoffs. Let's face facts here, virtually every top engine builder and prep shop has had issues at some point in 2015.

If we allowed people to only accept a single tear down per year, do you think they would run legal after that? The history of the class has been to push every rule to the limit. All too often we have pushed beyond the legal limit. We have to prove that we can run compliant every time before we can even think about going back to competitor based policing.

Again, I agree with what Jim has said, but I do not feel we have a reasonable option based on our past behavior.

Dave

• David L, Alberto and Sean - MiataCage like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Erik Hardy

Erik Hardy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:39

Measure my restrictor plate, throw my car on the dyno, look at my data in comparison to others, all cool with me. I'm not fast enough for it to matter a whole lot, but I'm taking the DQ if I ever get to that level where the car needs to come apart. I'm sure my head would get disqualified anyways just because its not something they are used to seeing. I'm not going to tear the transmission apart for you to look at it with your certified REM sensing eyes. Way to much work to put everything back together, I don't have that kind of time and it takes away the fun + money.

I showed up to an amateur race, had my fun and a post race inspection can't take that away. The level of scrutiny goes well beyond the inspection levels at the professional levels...maybe we shouldn't do this to ourselves...

• Michael Colangelo and pmillion like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Car Number:137

This issue came up at the Pirelli game a few weeks ago.  One of the issues was inspection and re-inspection of the catalytic converter.  The support person for one of those crews said here, I took it apart, you saw it, now put a wire and a tag on it and don't ask me again.  That seal, if it stays in tact, should keep him off his back for at least the rest of their season.

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Jim, the problem is the way the rules are written its a DQ and 6 month suspension...

I haven't seen the 6 month suspension enforced before and doubt it would be enforced in this instance either. I think a 6 month suspension in this case would be all some of these guys need to justify moving to another class. 

Dave, 

Of all the cars checked at the Runoffs this year.. We had ONE relief cut of 16 slightly over.. I don't view that as a problem at all to anyone except the poor SOB that was Dq'ed after an excellent race and had ZERO advantage because of it.  Dare they look at any class remotely this close... The Runoffs tech last year found ZERO! The dq's were due solely to competitor protest.   

• Danica Davison likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I think its worth giving this some thought. I agree that it can have a negative effect on the class, no matter what way you go.

Sagar brings up a good point, some people do not have the skill or the budget to carry mechanics to the track. The tech at this years runoffs was by far more that it ever has been.

Agree with Mike, maybe the penalty if you can't or won't comply, should be examined.

Dave, yes we have been finding non complaint parts, but the latest example was one valve relief out of sixteen was out of spec and cost someone a podium. Yes that is the rules, but we really punished someone who did not intend to cheat or have a competitive advantage. (we have also had a lot of disassemble  of the same part multiple times, of complaint parts.

Just suggesting we need to think about a middle ground somehow.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Just suggesting we need to think about a middle ground somehow.

that circle jerking at the national autoX level was a big part of what kept me away.  I am not going to argue on my vacation for hours about whether or not I won because of undercoating.

I'm to the point where I wonder if the class wouldn't be cheaper just letting people do whatever they want instead of dropping insane money to maintain cars to an unrealistic standard.  

• Joe Benton likes this

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

I really have no dog in the hunt, as I'm not fast enough to likely be exposed to this.  On the other hand, no matter how fast I ever got, I won't participate in the Majors as a direct consequence of this.  Further, I wouldn't participate in the Runoffs either, for this and the stupid time/dollar commitment for the minimal fun-factor. 

• Alberto likes this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

It's just a darn shame that seals don't work on Miatas.

• Alberto likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

It's just a darn shame that seals don't work on Miatas.

seal-of-approval-thumb-singer-1305072523

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23

Is this primarily an issue within the Spec Miata community or is this also a problem in other amateur classes?

But, yeah, $6500-$8000 to prove you're compliant is a bit much.  Heck, I can buy two ITA cars for that!  :-)

mhiggins10

mhiggins10

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Region:SOWDIV
  • Car Year:1990

If the argument is on cost factor, that ship sailed long ago with the $35,000 NB.  IMO, we reap what we sow on "tech shed legal"/"pushing the gray area"/etc.  STR-gate certainly didn't help. If you want to go with the "if you aren't cheating/pushing the limits, you aren't trying" then this is what the sanctioning body will answer with.  I would guess that Mazda and SCCA didn't want another black eye, so they pulled on the rubber gloves and bent everyone over. Can't say I disagree with the approach.

Other classes are just as bad?  Maybe.  But they're nowhere NEAR as public as the biggest, baddest, most competitive class in SCCA.   I'm sure you'd find all kinds of things in the 15th finishing F500 as well, but that's not a story/PR issue.

Is there a better way to do this, like sealing parts?  Maybe.  But many have raised the concern about seals not being as effective as one hopes.  Better question is probably- what does PWC do?  What does IMSA do?  What things can we take from those programs and apply to ours?

Personally, I'd love to run Runoffs some day, but that's such a distant dream that these discussions are an academic exercise to me so take my input with a grain of salt.  I've never been tech'd more than belts and weight, and I certainly don't have the staff or experience to pull a crank or split a transmission housing, much less the funds to put it back together.  For your Joe-average regional guy like me that kind of tech is a season-ender (and would likely park me for a year to get the funds to reassemble the car).

Somehow though, I don't think folks like Tom or I are will really be terribly bothered by the concerns being addressed here.

• Alberto likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Is this primarily an issue within the Spec Miata community or is this also a problem in other amateur classes?

But, yeah, $6500-$8000 to prove you're compliant is a bit much.  Heck, I can buy two ITA cars for that!  :-)

they don't cheat in other classes therefore they don't need to do tech.  duh.

• Alberto and Jim Drago like this

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:38

simple Don't cross the line up front.

• Sean - MiataCage likes this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

Its an automatic penalty...  Its not optional...

Refusing to allow teardown in Mechanical Protest,Request for Action, or Chief Steward’s Action

Event disqualification, 6 month suspension of competition privileges, $250 fine, and 6 penalty points

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

One of the answers may be to come up with better ways to check compliance that is not so invasive. Can we improve on how we test?

Tearing the transmission and diff out- Are there tools, scopes and so on that you could see the inside of a diff or transmission without pulling them out?

The Random impound should be non invasive to the extent possible.

Did we really need to tear them down to the oil pan at Runoffs.

Test them with Whistler or dyno, and scope parts. Move to the tear down if there is a failure.

I think your going to get more push back at the Majors than the runoffs. People go to a major's weekend, take two days off of work to go, race and want to pack up Sunday and come home, not dismantle a race car IMO.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Yes that is the rules, but we really punished someone who did not intend to cheat or have a competitive advantage.

Here is the problem with this statement...its never a problem until it is a problem! In other words, is it your buddy and or your pit mate? Or is it your least favorite competitor who just took away a podium from you??  We are all guilty of flip flopping our attitude i'm sure on the litle "no performance gain" tech offenses!!!!

Intentions are always noble through rose colored glasses!

Ok...with the black and white argument aside...I to agree there has to be a better way :shocking:

NASA approach out West has been to dyno a lot of cars...usually ends up being the same cars and to date i have never seen one of these cars dyno drastically different. Unless a car pops up with 5-10HP/Torque over the "norm" nothing is going to happen. In fact, usually the tech doing the dyno has no idea what they are looking at. Some of us who watched cars being dynoed at the western NASA champs spotted something that was not normal...and it had nothing to do with the numbers...but the curve! So what is "norm"?? This is the million dollar question...

Ironically its way easier to fudge on the dyno as many on here have said...DOH! Back to teching parts!

Local a couple years ago we had a tear down refusal...in fact he was gone 6 months!(SCCA)

• FTodaro likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users