• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

You might want to stop with the ad hominem snide remarks in every post then.

Todd, I thought I did that. I thought I removed all those from the last post when I asked for peace.

Not that it is important for this conversation (meaning I understand your point and actually agree with your view on Dynos. Meaning I understand you are not looking for them to be the be all and end all for tech); you dont need track maps or large boards to activate a GPS switch. All you need to do is to determine that the car is not in motion or is in motion.  As matter of fact you don't even need a GPS sensor to do it. You can do a simple switch on the hood being up, ETC ETC just like you have pointed out. GPS switching or G sensors or other non manual sensors are nice though in that the switch itself can be hidden and isn't manually controlled. You can post onboard and not see someone flipping a switch, ETC.

I think the middle ground approach works just as well at the regional level. I also think that it is sad that the impression is that everyone at the regional level can and do cheat all they want and that is ok because it is regional. The impression that regional cars are more cheated up than majors cars. With a structured tech program that meets the goals that Drago and others are asking for, I see no reason why that isn't appropriate at the regional level as well. The people here are smart. They can figure out a way to address both concerns; 1. The need to give competitors confidence that the cars are equal in general  2. The need to keep people that race for fun and have no desire to cheat or to spend extra time and money tearing down a car on a weekend they want to have fun.

As example, was it really necessary to tear every component of the running gear out of the teched cars at the runoffs if in fact they had been inspected to a program all through out the year? Could it not just have been gearboxes as example? Could it notjhave been just gear boxes if the heads were looked at at a different race, shocks at another and for a curve ball the whatever checked two race weekends in a row? Can that be done without moving to sealed engines? I think part of Jims point was that a problem arises and we go to fix it, the fix generates other problems that were anticipated. So we swing from fix to fix depending on which side you fall on the issue for that particular event. And that maybe a structured program would be better instead of fixing the problem de jour without considering that a different set of problems will arise and we will apply a crude fix to that problem and then the cycle starting all over again. I believe he is advocating a simple and structured program with the cost spread across all competitors. I have suggested something similar with a couple differences.

But I think it important to first consider the goals that we are trying to fix. I think the 2 outline points above do that. They correctly define the problem at hand. And if we design a solution to account for both at the same time, and a willingness to make corrections to it as we go, we will come up with a good compromise instead of fixing one point this week, and then the next point the following weekend. A knee jerk response of sealed motors and an over reliance on Dynos is not the solution in my opinion. The dyno seems like a good tool in a suite of tools including a structured program. The sealed motor suggestion well; IMO people know not what they are asking for with that. And in that I have a bit of experience as I come from a sealed motor class.

Just my long winded opinions.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Pat Ross

Pat Ross

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
To place us all on the same footing, I think all SM participants should have to disassemble their cars to the same level required for the Runoff's to renew their log book. Those spouting off because they never qualify for tear down could then share in the pain (cost).

Pat Ross

Pat Ross

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
The above would weed out the mid pack and back marker cheaters. It is strange to me that you never hear the pointy end racers calling each other cheaters. Those comments always come from those that are non-competitive. JMHO.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

How about the "methinks thou dost protest too much!" rule?  Better known, as "oh yeah?!  Take THAT!"

Anyone accusing someone else of cheating gets torn down? 

stones....glass houses....

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Pat Ross

Pat Ross

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Tom, I agree. Another approach woul be to require a payment of $500 to get your log book renewed. That would go to the compliance fund to pay for diasassemblies required by the SCCA at the Runoffs or Majors. After all when the SCCA requires a tear down they are, in essence, accusing the driver of cheating, and he has to prove he isn't. Isn't that a little backwards from our judicial system? If he proves he is in compliance his accuser (the SCCA) should bear the cost of making him financially whole.

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Region:SouthEast
  • Car Number:121

Wow, I think I am going to turn my new SM build into a NASA PTD car.  You SM guys are too tough a crowd for me. Cams, 11:1 oxygenated race fuel, decent dampers and a trick ECU would be more fun than an annual tear down.

• robertcope likes this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
Av8tor, try NASA Sm, SCCA is a little hard core at times.

J~
  • av8tor likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Pat, the thing is they are just checking. They don't need a reason really.

Competitors needed a bond before, not now.

On the flip side...

NASA Western Nationals... they saw nothing to lead to cheating. Top 6 or 9 were in 10th of sec. of each other in lap time.
They did nothing, asked the top 4 if they thought anyone was cheating, they said no.

People got upset, that such a thing could happen. "oh the injustice of it all"

J~
  • Rob Burgoon likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Pat Ross

Pat Ross

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Johnny D, who got all upset, the crybaby non-comps. I didn't see any of the top 10 crying.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
He's not talking to me, I don't want to piss him off more.

Just like the title says...
You could get torn down and pay 7k to put it back together in a rain race were tires made the difference or
nothing and you have those questions about did he cheat or not if your that type of person.
Do you really have to know ?

J~

Pat Ross

Pat Ross

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
No

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

The above would weed out the mid pack and back marker cheaters. It is strange to me that you never hear the pointy end racers calling each other cheaters. Those comments always come from those that are non-competitive. JMHO.

I wouldnt go that far...there are some pretty heated rivalries at the front with some zingers thrown around on occasion!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Actually, they do it a lot, just not out here in public. Maybe the glass house thing in the past, and builders not looking to start a flame war that hurts them all.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Pat, the thing is they are just checking. They don't need a reason really.

Competitors needed a bond before, not now.

On the flip side...

NASA Western Nationals... they saw nothing to lead to cheating. Top 6 or 9 were in 10th of sec. of each other in lap time.
They did nothing, asked the top 4 if they thought anyone was cheating, they said no.

People got upset, that such a thing could happen. "oh the injustice of it all"

J~

Well...that just went out the window...

• Rob Burgoon likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Some pretty silly $hit being posted on THIS PAGE. The SM tech is what it is because of SM folks stepping over the line with rules.

Simple deal, how can any pro engine builder let an engine out of his/her shop with a valve un-shroud being out of spec? < That's an integrity question, not did doing it help or hinder the drivers position.

To those that believe they understand SCCA rules, go to the production car site and read the offending driver's post comments and the post comments from the tech official that wrote the RFA which was not upheld in F production.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Car Number:22

On the flip side...NASA Western Nationals... they saw nothing to lead to cheating. Top 6 or 9 were in 10th of sec. of each other in lap time.They did nothing, asked the top 4 if they thought anyone was cheating, they said no.People got upset, that such a thing could happen. "oh the injustice of it all"J~

On the other hand at the NASA East Championships all of the top cars were dynoed nobody looked out of compliance yet once the invasive tech began a non-compliant car was bounced.

Dynos only catch the idiots that cheat their cars up to ridiculous levels. Invasive tech is an unfortunate necessity that VALIDATES the racers finishing position. The class is better for it and should bear some of the cost. NASA spot checks at there Nationals. The SCCA validates its front runners at the Runoffs and spot checks at the Majors. I would be happy to pay a little more to have more tech of the entire field not just the top 5. I have had the pleasure of racing from the back of many fields and can tell you the fastest cars are not usually the top 5. Do you think the guy that just got into racing paid top dollar for a legal car wants to get his ass kicked by the guy who knows he is never getting teached for P12. He paid the same entry fee and should get the same benefit of compliance checks as P1-P5.
  • Sean - MiataCage likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

On the other hand at the NASA East Championships all of the top cars were dynoed nobody looked out of compliance yet once the invasive tech began a non-compliant car was bounced.

Dynos only catch the idiots that cheat their cars up to ridiculous levels. Invasive tech is an unfortunate necessity that VALIDATES the racers finishing position. The class is better for it and should bear some of the cost. NASA spot checks at there Nationals. The SCCA validates its front runners at the Runoffs and spot checks at the Majors. I would be happy to pay a little more to have more tech of the entire field not just the top 5. I have had the pleasure of racing from the back of many fields and can tell you the fastest cars are not usually the top 5. Do you think the guy that just got into racing paid top dollar for a legal car wants to get his ass kicked by the guy who knows he is never getting teached for P12. He paid the same entry fee and should get the same benefit of compliance checks as P1-P5.

I think there's a time and place for about everything, and I was showing it. YMMV on what's needed every time. Different strokes for different folks, etc, etc.

J~

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Wow, I think I am going to turn my new SM build into a NASA PTD car.  You SM guys are too tough a crowd for me. Cams, 11:1 oxygenated race fuel, decent dampers and a trick ECU would be more fun than an annual tear down.

but you will be racing ( well driving around with is more accurate) three guys and no racing. The competition is what we all want and there is none better than SM. The PT classes are not remotely close
  • Alberto likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

To those that believe they understand SCCA rules, go to the production car site and read the offending driver's post comments and the post comments from the tech official that wrote the RFA which was not upheld in F production.

Can you link it.. I never go to that site or know where it is. I would like to read though.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

mhiggins10

mhiggins10

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Region:SOWDIV
  • Car Year:1990

Can you link it.. I never go to that site or know where it is. I would like to read though.

Yes please. :)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users