davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

In Cen-div and Northern Conference Majors it is a pretty normal thing for both track width and rim width to be checked. My guess is 50% of all events will get them checked at some point over the weekend.

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Out west I think i've seen track width checked twice. The 2nd time it was 2 guys with toe plates. When I asked what the were doing they said checking track width. I shrugged and said ok! I was legal and 1/8" toe out  :thumbsup:

• Kyle Keenan likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Ron, if this was an SCCA track measurement, remind the tech to use the track measurement rule noted under Facts, Formulas And Measurement Standards.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Technically I am still the NASA's SM Nat Dir but I was an advisor at best on the 2016 SM Rules.  Xavier needed to own the process since he'd be the one answering questions and dealing with the noise.  I like what he's done with the new rule set.  He's cleaned up the format to make it easier to read and find stuff.  Fixed some stuff to make tech easier and put in place a point where power is going to examined (please don't hijack this thread for that fire-fest).

Anyways, I've replied to the prevailing questions from my point-of-view and from my level of involvement.

For these the be legal it would seem other rules would need to be changed as well... Track width of the car is being altered here.

Why reinvent the wheel??? The uper bushings give far more then the 3degrees of camber advertised by this product.

I believe nasa okd the upper bushings when the scca did it, now you add this some people will have both but for what reason????

NASA (xavier) received a set about a month ago for measuring track width and there were no issues with exceeding the spec.

I'm assuming deep back in caveman evolution the wheel took more than 12months to develop...  Same here, the offset bushing rule is 11mos old.  This is a different way to get the same result for the owners who nave not installed offset bushings when it became an option.

NASA also has PT class, lots of SM's run PT too.  These extended Joints allows folks to have the flexibility to have the camber for SM but can easily remove the camber so they don't accumulate +2 points for PT.  

i don't think you have to have the extended ball joints to race with NASA.  A SCCA spec car should still be legal to run with NASA.

Spot on Keith.

.... Clearly it is easier to install or change out after a wreck.

Now there are 3 ways to get camber, bent spindles, offset bushings and now a ball joint. 

I know at track repair was part of my thinking what would be a good option for those who have not installed offset bushings.

Three legal ways now in NASA to get that camber: (1) OEM bushings,  (2) Offset Bushings, (3) Spec Extended Ball Joints.  I could be wrong but purposely bent spindles are illegal in both organizations.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

cordycord

cordycord

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:SoCal
  • Car Year:2014

The shipment of Extended Lower Ball Joints has arrived, and has been sent to Flyin' Miata and 949 Racing.  There is another shipment due in at the end of the month (perhaps beginning Feb).  This is a new part, and while we've had very successful testing with Sammy Valafar, I look forward to hearing from Jim Drago regarding his thoughts on quality, ease of use, etceteras.  He's already made his thoughts known regarding the politics of the situation, which I respect.

Hopefully when more people are exposed to the parts there will be more of a consensus as to how they fit in (or not) with SCCA rules.  The intention was never to build a cheater part, but to build a safe part that kept racers from trying to "manipulate" their suspension in a manner that would cause a safety issue.  Either way, thanks for your consideration.

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

Sammy is definitely the guy to know about suspension "modifications".

• john mueller, Bench Racer and Todd Lamb like this
Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users