• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

LOl, the way you play both sides of the fence with this statement, you could be a one man volleyball game.

Per your own logic I can't because it doesn't come OEM with the wire and pull. The rule doesn't say you can remove the pull wire. It says you can remove the latch. So you could remove the latch and leave in place the pull, but you couldn't remove the pull while leaving in the latch (per your original logic). I also need to go back and read the EXACT wording on E brake wiring, but I don't see alot of e brake wiring harneses zipped up or left in the stock location. I see them removed. The ebrake (whatever that is exactly) doesn't come with the wiring when you order the handle, or the caliper.

I bowed out before because Dave presented a fairly rock solid argument that you can't violate another rule by conducting a modification allowed by another. Non of my examples above would break Daves logic so I shut up. I would have been much better off just answering like Dave; technically removing the airbag wiring is illegal, but I do it anyway. So there you go Bench. Say Thank you Bench.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I do enjoy volleyball.

Makes no friking sense to leave the latch and remove the pull cable, but by rule when removing the pull cable the latch is disabled, correct. And no self made rules required. No time at the moment to look up rule/discuss your E brake stuff.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

Recently re-written part of the GCR.  You could request a CR on what wiring may be removed, etc.  You could take the reply to the bank.

wheel

8.1.4. Compliance Review

A member may request a determination on the compliance of their vehicle or its components by submitting a Compliance Request Form to the Club Racing Department at which time a letter will be entered into the CRB letter system. The Compliance Request Form is available through the Club Racing Department.

A. The staff will review the request and must consult with the CRB and other appropriate experts.

B. Club Racing will schedule in-person inspection of the vehicle or compo- nents by a class expert. The expert will submit a written opinion back to Club Racing and the CRB.

C. Club Racing and the CRB will review the expert’s opinion. If required, the CRB may initiate a clarification of the applicable rule(s). Club Racing will then submit a written ruling to the applicant.

D. A fee will be determined and paid in advance of the inspection. A portion of the fee may be refunded at the discretion of SCCA.

E. Verification of compliance is based on the GCR as of the date of the written response to the member. The GCR changes annually, and there is no guarantee of compliance beyond the current rules season. 

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

I do enjoy volleyball.

Makes no friking sense to leave the latch and remove the pull cable, but by rule when removing the pull cable the latch is disabled, correct. And no self made rules required. No time at the moment to look up rule/discuss your E brake stuff.

No shit it doesn't make sense. Nor does it make sense to require me to keep wiring that goes nowhere. But rules are rules right?
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

For years the AS rules said that you could modify or replace your wiring, but not remove it from the car.  I carried my entire wiring harness in a plastic back in the right rear fender, where the spare tire used to reside.  It was one of the first rules I worked on when I joined the ASAC.

• dstevens likes this

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

Many years ago we where not allowed to remove the passenger window. So somebodies got broke, they scooped it up, put in a plastic bag and duct taped it to the inside of the door.

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Krusovice

Krusovice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
I'm building a 94, and it's my first car, and it may never turn a wheel in SM, so it's really all theory, but how weenie do people get on protests? For example if I were to pull the door switch, and win, is that likely to draw fire?

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
I would certainly hope too never see a protest involving any of the legally not used wires.
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

the biggest protester in SCCA is Mike Collins. Usually for a legit reason. I would never expect any protest from these items to be filed. But the discussion is not about could it be protested. the discussion is about "is it legal"

dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I'm building a 94, and it's my first car, and it may never turn a wheel in SM, so it's really all theory, but how weenie do people get on protests? For example if I were to pull the door switch, and win, is that likely to draw fire?

It is fodder for the web site, not much more.. I have never seen or heard about 99.99% of this stuff EVER being protested.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Krusovice

Krusovice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Thanks for the help. I will continue to leave stuff in for now.

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

if you really want to make an impact, file a CR under GCR 8.1.4.  I guarantee they won't charge you a fee, and you might save everyone some heartburn.  

wheel

• dstevens likes this

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

As long as there is so much rule fun being had on this thread, here's a couple items.

Where is the rule (I didn't see the rule) that allows removal of the fuel filler lid opener (opener lever, opener cable, clips, filler lid opener)?

Next would be how many folks could get busted for the following SAFETY rule?

8. Safety

d. In any automobile where allowed removal of upholstery, seat belts, etc., creates an opening between the driver/passenger compartment and an exposed gas tank, or part thereof, including the filler tube, a metal bulkhead which completely fills such opening shall be installed. See GCR 9.3.27.

Please remember the first sentence of the post which includes the words, rule fun. :bigsquaregrin:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users