22 replies to this topic

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I have not taken the block apart yet...I will let you know what i find.

BTW...this 1.6 motor failed on the test day. We put back in the unknown motor that came with the car. We did about 30 laps in the first 5 hrs of the race shotgunning every part we could think of every 1 or 2 laps as the same stumble problem was occurring still. After hard wiring the fuel pump to the kill switch, the car did 400 more laps and ran great...go figure!

No oil change in the wining 25HR car...i think we added 1 to 1.5 quarts during race. Why would i look at the bearings...the motor only has 1800 miles on it :)

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
Since you we not running SM, how about this Oil Pan Baffle ??

http://mazdamotorspo...E&uniqueId=5428

J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
Just as a point of reference; I have had 2 engine failures in the last 10 years. One was in my rental car with 5 years on the engine. Driver reported a brief flashing of oil psi light at one corner every lap during 13 hour race. I told him to ignore it and keep running. Engine lasted another 4 hours before spectacular explosion. This motor owed me nothing as it probably had 200 hours on it.Second was a fresh build that the builder replaced.

I run an average of 12 cars at 30 weekends a year. That is a lot of hours with only 2 blown motors in 10 years. I would put blame on poor assembly. Cleaning, tolerances, torque, etc.

I have said this before, do not use any motor oil that does not say RACE on it. Street oils have addatives for long life, hi detergent, strict emmissions, low rpm. None of which we want. We need the additives for high rpm, short life, no emmissions etc.

I don't build engines. So take everything I say about them as coming from a non-expert. When I see a piston, it is a bad day!!!!!!

Dave
  • Rob Burgoon likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users