CarbonRacer

Autotechnik's Red Headed Stepchild

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:56

John, I'm sorry to say that you my friend have already been drinking way to much NB cool aid and you only have your NB 99 for a couple races.  :tipsy: I think maybe you should build another NA 1.6 that you had before your 99 NB. Don't worry brother I still want to run with you at Daytona in a couple weeks. Even Jeff himself said to me directly that the motor in that NA 1.8 is a 1 in a 1,000 engine and he has never built a NA 1.8 that strong.

Here are my records of Jeff LaBounty's runs in his NA 1.8 at Daytona.

Driver             Position          Best Time

8/9/2014 - Cliff Brown              1 st             2:19:537 (99 NB)

Jeff LaBounty          5 th            2:20:433

5/2/2015   Andrew Charb.        1st              2:19:265 (99 NB)

Jeff LaBounty          14th           2:20:606

5/2/2015   Selin Rollan             1st              2:20:272 (99 NB)

Jeff LaBounty          9th             2:21:729

5/3/2015   Alex Bolanos           1st              2:19:287 (99 NB) 

Jeff LaBounty          2nd            2:19:011  (With his teammate Alex bump drafting during the race)

8/8/2015   Todd Buras              1st             2:19:940 (VVT ?)

Jeff LaBounty          22nd          2:23:440

8/8/2015   Cory Collum            1st               2:20:352 (99 NB)

Jeff LaBounty          15th            2:22:655

8/9/2015   Cory Collum            1st               2:20:023 (99 NB)

Jeff LaBounty          14th            2:21:334

• Danica Davison likes this

Danica Davison is my BIOTCH...Just Sayin

2017 - 6 Podiums

2016 - Florida Cup Champion

- 9 Podiums

2015 - 2 Podiums

2014 - 1 Podiums

2013 - 4 Podiums

2012 - 8 Podiums

2011 - 2 Podiums

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Erik Hardy

Erik Hardy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:39
Carbon what is the point you are trying to prove? I fail to see how lap records and picking certain drivers finishing positions are indicative of straight line performance in comparison to other platforms?

1 in a 1000 strong engines is what I would expect from any professional engine builder, their customers just happen to be driving the nb chassis. Can you provide any lap data from the 1.8na car to other nb cars? Is there much of a difference or is it as good as its going to get ala the rules are acceptable?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Sean - MiataCage,

Congratulations to Mark Drennan for all of his track records. I'm curious about a couple things though and maybe you can shed some light on it.

Mark Drennan set two tracks records with his 94 NA 1.8 at Laguna in June 2014, why did he run a NB for the 2014 Runoffs at Laguna a couple months later? Doesn't make sense to me that he didn't run the car that he just set two track records.

If a well built NA 1.8 with a great driver will do very well under the current rules package, why wasn't any raced at the 2015 Runoffs at Daytona after the rule change to the 47mm plate?

I will shed some light...with the disclaimer i have been wrong before :(

I'm pretty sure during the 2014 season the motor(very strong)in Marks 94 car went poof! The replacement was not up to the necessary standards. That said...at LAGUNA, my guess is data(and seat time) showed the 99/01 cars RACED better. Similar lap times but like the 1.6 cars...done in a different way. The NB cars could hold off the NA cars but the NA cars could not do the same in a race.

As far as Daytona...can one say aero or headlights?? 

Ironically it took NASA(Norcal and Nationally) an extra year to follow SCCA from the 45mm to 47mm(new 2016 rule)...and my guess is because 2 local NA 1.8 cars were pretty dominate when raced during the 2014 season. But as most of the locals know...this was more a function of TOP drivers than some dominate car. Unfortunately it made any argument I or others may have had(at least locally)for 94-97 car improvements fall on deaf ears.

I get Sean's point...and have watched it first hand...but it is almost an unfair argument given Marks talent and dominance(it would be in any car)at our local tracks. I'd like to see a very small bone!

The powers that be after several years finally made an effort to address the 1.6 car perceived issues(and rightly so)...time will tell if it made any difference. I will tell you this...take 1/2 the top 15 drivers who enter Mid Ohio this year and give them a 1.6 car(top flight)and there will be a 50% chance a 1.6 wins the Runoffs :)

I think a good NA 1.8 is a great weapon at some tracks...not so much at others. It is a very good car...but anyone new doing their research will shy away just based on what they find has been written over the last 6-7 years(perception). If I was god for a day I would keep the 47mm and make the weight 2330(20lbs off)! Would not want an unrestricted heavier car.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Not to argue with Ron. For 2104 the Runoffs were coming west and some from east of the big river had tested/raced with their 99 plus cars, folks on the left coast viewed the forest through the trees. The 97 and less wasn't going to get the Runoffs job done................

Daytona Runoffs, tire choice and the drivers raced at and came to the front. :raincloud:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91

I like the heavy unrestricted 1.8 idea.  More like a 99 and adds room for bigger drivers and big cool shirt tanks and right side ballast.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

Sean - MiataCage,

Congratulations to Mark Drennan for all of his track records. I'm curious about a couple things though and maybe you can shed some light on it.

Mark Drennan set two tracks records with his 94 NA 1.8 at Laguna in June 2014, why did he run a NB for the 2014 Runoffs at Laguna a couple months later? Doesn't make sense to me that he didn't run the car that he just set two track records.

Matt Schultz finished 2nd Position in his NA 1.8 in the 2014 Runoffs is correct  BUT  he was moved up to that position because the first 6 NB's in front of him were disqualified or sent to the back of the field.

Also, Matt Schultz NA 1.8 finished 37.939 seconds behind the leader at the finish.

If a well built NA 1.8 with a great driver will do very well under the current rules package, why wasn't any raced at the 2015 Runoffs at Daytona after the rule change to the 47mm plate?

Mic Drop Emoji  :)  :rotfl: 

Hello Carbon Racer,

I unfortunately can not speak to why he chose the car he chose to race in the Runoffs.  There were top flight NB cars that tested earlier in the 2014 season at Laguna in anticipation of the runoffs, so I feel positive those times got around to the locals so he knew what he had relative to potential competition.  I'm sure he had his reasons.  He is a smart guy and a fast driver.  I too would be curious.

I'm not sure what you are saying about the Matt Shultz car.  He finished P2 at the runoffs as the cars that finished in front of him were deemed non-compliant and therefor not usable as bench marks for how other cars compared to them.  P2 at the runoffs is P2.

As far as Daytona is concerned, since it was a night race and since I believe the rules said you must run lights, a pop up headlight car could have never stood a chance.

As to why people are not building NA 1.8's, It has been said many many times before here.  The NB cars are much easier and cost effective to build to the Nth degree, so if someone were looking to build a car why build a car that requires more effort and is more temperamental than the newer cars.  The NA 1.8 is also a car with very limited numbers, so the "masses" would never be supporting big changes.  Not so say changes could not be necessary, just saying you only have a small crowd asking for them.

For me this is not just about the Runoffs or the Majors, it is about all the races small and big throughout the country.  I don't really care if not one person builds a new 1.6L or NA 1.8L as long as we provide a level playing field for those that are already invested in their cars, whichever model year it happens to be.  I believe that we are very very close to proper parity with the current ruleset.  Those that already have vehicles built should be just as important as those who are building new one.  I promise you at some point in the near future we will be having these exact same conversations about the NC versus NB, so hopefully we can perfect our process for evaluating the performance differences between the model year cars and discuss and possibly make the appropriate changes with fact based information, not emotion and speculation.

My concern here is that I often hear things like "no one" ever does well in a NA 1.8 so therefor it needs help.  I am simply showing the someone to refute the "no one" with the appropriate data to back up my claim.  Just because someone is not racing a NA 1.8 competitively in any one particular area or race track does not mean that it is not happening somewhere else.  We have to look at the entire country.

Earlier in the year a "top flight" NA 1.8L car was identified with a very good driver in an area of the country that it could be compared with a known top flight NB car and driver.  There was a plan discussed to test the NA 1.8L versus the NB with data boxes in both cars on a test day.  Prior to the test day it was found out that the top flight car in question was significantly over weight and therefor not a "top flight" car and would have been useless for the comparison.  The car was being represented as "top flight" best of the best all year.

It is my opinion that the SMAC should not be making changes to cars without some corresponding data to prove the point or issue.  I think Todd Lamb might be driving a NA 1.8L in the not to distant future to see how he thinks it does with both feel and a data box to validate the seat of the pants running near other 99-05 cars.  Not sure... hopefully it happens and we can get another data point to continue the discussion.

As I have said, I personally believe that the NA 1.8L is a competitive package with an A+ car and A+ driver.  I say this based off of my experience with the both Shultz and Drennan NA 1.8's. I recognize my experience is not others experience and vice-versa.

When it comes to the Drennan NA 1.8L that set all the track records, logic would dictate you would have to come to 1 of 2 conclusions:

1.) The car is not compliant and does not represent all NA 1.8L's.  (I'm not saying this, just giving a hypothetical)

2.) Mark is such a good driver that his talent is above most others that own NA 1.8's.

Let me be crystal clear with my words here.... I am not implying that there was anything wrong with that car.  Mark is a very talented driver who has spent the time and money to have the best of the best equipment and lots and lots and lots of seat time to maximize the use of that equipment.  I'm just giving a hypothetical because some want to discount that driver and car combination when it comes to requested changes for the NA 1.8.

What are we going to do?  Give the car a little help and then start banning Drennan and others from driving certain model year cars because they are too good?   Who gets banned?  How many wins do you need in order to be considered too good?

These are just my personal opinions and not anything regarding to or speaking on behalf of the SMAC.

Sean

• Justin Casey likes this
Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Hello Carbon Racer,

I unfortunately can not speak to why he chose the car he chose to race in the Runoffs.  There were top flight NB cars that tested earlier in the 2014 season at Laguna in anticipation of the runoffs, so I feel positive those times got around to the locals so he knew what he had relative to potential competition.  I'm sure he had his reasons.  He is a smart guy and a fast driver.  I too would be curious.

I'm not sure what you are saying about the Matt Shultz car.  He finished P2 at the runoffs as the cars that finished in front of him were deemed non-compliant and therefor not usable as bench marks for how other cars compared to them.  P2 at the runoffs is P2.

As far as Daytona is concerned, since it was a night race and since I believe the rules said you must run lights, a pop up headlight car could have never stood a chance.

As to why people are not building NA 1.8's, It has been said many many times before here.  The NB cars are much easier and cost effective to build to the Nth degree, so if someone were looking to build a car why build a car that requires more effort and is more temperamental than the newer cars.  The NA 1.8 is also a car with very limited numbers, so the "masses" would never be supporting big changes.  Not so say changes could not be necessary, just saying you only have a small crowd asking for them.

For me this is not just about the Runoffs or the Majors, it is about all the races small and big throughout the country.  I don't really care if not one person builds a new 1.6L or NA 1.8L as long as we provide a level playing field for those that are already invested in their cars, whichever model year it happens to be.  I believe that we are very very close to proper parity with the current ruleset.  Those that already have vehicles built should be just as important as those who are building new one.  I promise you at some point in the near future we will be having these exact same conversations about the NC versus NB, so hopefully we can perfect our process for evaluating the performance differences between the model year cars and discuss and possibly make the appropriate changes with fact based information, not emotion and speculation.

My concern here is that I often hear things like "no one" ever does well in a NA 1.8 so therefor it needs help.  I am simply showing the someone to refute the "no one" with the appropriate data to back up my claim.  Just because someone is not racing a NA 1.8 competitively in any one particular area or race track does not mean that it is not happening somewhere else.  We have to look at the entire country.

Earlier in the year a "top flight" NA 1.8L car was identified with a very good driver in an area of the country that it could be compared with a known top flight NB car and driver.  There was a plan discussed to test the NA 1.8L versus the NB with data boxes in both cars on a test day.  Prior to the test day it was found out that the top flight car in question was significantly over weight and therefor not a "top flight" car and would have been useless for the comparison.  The car was being represented as "top flight" best of the best all year.

It is my opinion that the SMAC should not be making changes to cars without some corresponding data to prove the point or issue.  I think Todd Lamb might be driving a NA 1.8L in the not to distant future to see how he thinks it does with both feel and a data box to validate the seat of the pants running near other 99-05 cars.  Not sure... hopefully it happens and we can get another data point to continue the discussion.

As I have said, I personally believe that the NA 1.8L is a competitive package with an A+ car and A+ driver.  I say this based off of my experience with the both Shultz and Drennan NA 1.8's. I recognize my experience is not others experience and vice-versa.

When it comes to the Drennan NA 1.8L that set all the track records, logic would dictate you would have to come to 1 of 2 conclusions:

1.) The car is not compliant and does not represent all NA 1.8L's.  (I'm not saying this, just giving a hypothetical)

2.) Mark is such a good driver that his talent is above most others that own NA 1.8's.

Let me be crystal clear with my words here.... I am not implying that there was anything wrong with that car.  Mark is a very talented driver who has spent the time and money to have the best of the best equipment and lots and lots and lots of seat time to maximize the use of that equipment.  I'm just giving a hypothetical because some want to discount that driver and car combination when it comes to requested changes for the NA 1.8.

What are we going to do?  Give the car a little help and then start banning Drennan and others from driving certain model year cars because they are too good?   Who gets banned?  How many wins do you need in order to be considered too good?

These are just my personal opinions and not anything regarding to or speaking on behalf of the SMAC.

Sean

1.8 temperamental?  Who told you that?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

CarbonRacer

CarbonRacer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Hi Sean,

Erik Stearn's NB was fully compliant and originally finished in 7th position and was moved to 1st the winner of the runoffs so he can be used as a usable NB benchmark.

Matt Schultz's NA 1.8 finished originally in 8th which is 12.086 seconds behind Erik Stearn's fully compliant NB.

I'm sure Matt brought a TOP PREP CAR to the runoffs and didn't just bring a car he slapped together the weekend before with spare parts and a bucket of bolts he found in his garage. If Matt finished in the top 10 at the runoffs that tells me he is a pretty good driver in a NA 1.8 and he still finished 12.086 seconds behind Erik's NB.

2017 - 6 Podiums

- 9 Podiums

2015 - 2 Podiums

2014 - 1 Podiums

2013 - 4 Podiums

2012 - 8 Podiums

2011 - 2 Podiums

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

CarbonRacer

CarbonRacer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

I like the heavy unrestricted 1.8 idea.  More like a 99 and adds room for bigger drivers and big cool shirt tanks and right side ballast.

This is one of the ideas recommended to the SMAC and it was rejected.

2017 - 6 Podiums

- 9 Podiums

2015 - 2 Podiums

2014 - 1 Podiums

2013 - 4 Podiums

2012 - 8 Podiums

2011 - 2 Podiums

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

1.8 temperamental?  Who told you that?

Maybe i got confused with the driver of the 1.8's.....

Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

This is one of the ideas recommended to the SMAC and it was rejected.

I guess from where I sit I am still waiting to see that a NA 1.8L has a problem.  I'm not saying it doesn't I just don't think it has been proven to me based on what I have seen in my part of the country that it does have a problem.  I can not speak for the rest of the SMAC members but for me, I would like to be shown that it has a problem and needs something before entertaining making it faster.  Some people keep wanting to say NA 1.8's can't win, I say 1.8's in my part of the country are winning and here are some race and qualifying records to prove it. 

Pretty simple......  If you want the NA 1.8 to get some love, come to the table with a letter and some facts to support your position.  That will go a lot further than the NA 1.8L needs help, please help it..

In this particular case if you own an NA 1.8L then on a test day pull the plate and add some more weight to it in the AM and get some data and then in the afternoon, put the plate back in it and drop the weight and submit the data.

Pretty simple......

Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

Hi Sean,

Erik Stearn's NB was fully compliant and originally finished in 7th position and was moved to 1st the winner of the runoffs so he can be used as a usable NB benchmark.

Matt Schultz's NA 1.8 finished originally in 8th which is 12.086 seconds behind Erik Stearn's fully compliant NB.

I'm sure Matt brought a TOP PREP CAR to the runoffs and didn't just bring a car he slapped together the weekend before with spare parts and a bucket of bolts he found in his garage. If Matt finished in the top 10 at the runoffs that tells me he is a pretty good driver in a NA 1.8 and he still finished 12.086 seconds behind Erik's NB.

Hi CarbonRacer,

Matt did bring a top prep car.  He doesn't come on here, but from what I recall he gambled with a tire selection that didn't pan out and was fighting a handling issue in the race.  He did not qualify high enough up to not take some setup chances to see if he could find something. 

If I recall correctly the final podium did not have the heads taken off of the cars and they had been released from impound because no one thought they would ever need to go through invasive tech that far down in the on track finishing order.   I'm not saying it was or was not compliant, but you said it was fully compliant twice in your statement above which I think could be just a tiny bit misleading based on the lack of invasive tech any of those cars went through.  In my opinion nothing about that race can be used as a benchmark.

It's really not worth re-hashing the hows and why's and who's from the runoffs from 2 years ago.  It was not fun for anyone at all.  The only reason I brought it up is because people keep making these grandiose statements about certain cars can never win or go fast and that was simply a data point (in my opinion) from my part of the country that I believe shows another side of the argument.  I don't see the need to continue a public discussion about that race, but I am happy to discuss it at length if you want to call me.

Thanks.... Sean

Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734

CarbonRacer

CarbonRacer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

I guess from where I sit I am still waiting to see that a NA 1.8L has a problem.  I'm not saying it doesn't I just don't think it has been proven to me based on what I have seen in my part of the country that it does have a problem.  I can not speak for the rest of the SMAC members but for me, I would like to be shown that it has a problem and needs something before entertaining making it faster.  Some people keep wanting to say NA 1.8's can't win, I say 1.8's in my part of the country are winning and here are some race and qualifying records to prove it. 

It sounds to me that there aren't any TOP PREP 99 + NB cars in your part of the country. LOL  :)  :rotfl:  :thumbsup:

I provided race records from Jeff LaBounty NA 1.8 at the top of this page. 

2017 - 6 Podiums

- 9 Podiums

2015 - 2 Podiums

2014 - 1 Podiums

2013 - 4 Podiums

2012 - 8 Podiums

2011 - 2 Podiums

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

It sounds to me that there aren't any TOP PREP 99 + NB cars in your part of the country. LOL  :)  :rotfl:  :thumbsup:

Well played.... I guess that should have been option # 3 regarding Drennan's NA 1.8L.

Thanks.... Sean

Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Maybe i got confused with the driver of the 1.8's.....

Still haven't answered the question.  Where did you hear 1.8s are difficult to keep in tune?

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

Still haven't answered the question.  Where did you hear 1.8s are difficult to keep in tune?

That's top secret.... 

Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Maybe in jest...maybe serious...but you are not helping the cause(which includes me!)with this type of rhetoric. In general race results say very little...fast lap times say a little more. From a distance this is all any of us can see. Standing on the edge of the track watching first hand always tells a different story than the finish positions may indicate.

Sean hit all the points that are needed to really evaluated the car. Same day, time,dyno,track, driver, tires, etc. There are very few of us really screaming...but if you want to be the Bench for the 1.8NA Carbonracer I will back your effort :)  

• Steve Scheifler likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

CarbonRacer

CarbonRacer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Maybe in jest...maybe serious...but you are not helping the cause(which includes me!)with this type of rhetoric. In general race results say very little...fast lap times say a little more. From a distance this is all any of us can see. Standing on the edge of the track watching first hand always tells a different story than the finish positions may indicate.

Sean hit all the points that are needed to really evaluated the car. Same day, time,dyno,track, driver, tires, etc. There are very few of us really screaming...but if you want to be the Bench for the 1.8NA Carbonracer I will back your effort :)

I was joking with that statement because the first thing that is said when the NA 1.6 or the NA 1.8 drivers say anything about getting some help the return statement is that the car was not a TOP PREP car so the information is not good enough.

Data files and dyno charts only tell part of the story. Real World Racing results and Best Time results tells another part of the story.

Jeff LaBounty and myself have the fastest NA 1.8's in Florida that is capable of finishing in the top 15 positions with a strong NB lineup. Jeff has been building and racing Spec Miata's since 2001 for his business and his customers. If Jeff can't build and drive a NA 1.8 in Florida (with 47mm plate) and win at least once or twice a year or at least run consistent Best Times comparable to the NB's running 2:19's & 2:20's at Daytona that tells me a lot of the story.

• shedguy likes this

2017 - 6 Podiums

- 9 Podiums

2015 - 2 Podiums

2014 - 1 Podiums

2013 - 4 Podiums

2012 - 8 Podiums

2011 - 2 Podiums

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

That's top secret.... 

Just curious how well informed someone on an "advisory" committee is, that's all.

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Sean, please lose my number.  Go ahead and hit send on your nasty gram if you'd like.

I am genuinely curious how you got the idea that 1.8s are hard to tune.  You do realize they don't have trap doors, yes?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users