Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:80

Jim, 

I noticed the HP and Torque ratings on your motors, and I was under the impression that the VVT motors had a bit more torque therefore they pull out of the corners a little better than the 99, I am not second guessing you, I am just trying to educate myself.  

Or are these just the Hp ratings and they can range between those numbers?

Here is what I found:

01/05 engines 127/129 hp dynojet sae $6500.00
99/00 engines 128/130 hp dynojet sae $6500.00
94/97 engines 124/126 hp dynojet sae $5950.00
90/93 engines 123/124 hp dynojet sae $5950.00

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Number:03

Yes you are correct.  VVT motors have more torque (peak).

The numbers you are quoting are NOT HP/TQ.  They are HP range (hi/low)...  I sure hope a 1.6 does not make 124 TQ. (talk about an overdog!)

Jim is saying the HP range will typically fall between those two numbers above.  The TQ values are around 120 for a 99 and 125 for a VVT, give or take.

• Jim Drago likes this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Here is what I found: fixed for you

01/05 engines 127/130 hp and 124-126 Ft Lbs TQ dynojet sae 
99/00 engines 128/131 hp and 120-122 Ft Lbs TQ dynojet sae   

• Danny Steyn likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:80

Thanks.

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

rayce13

rayce13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:Colorado
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:13

dumb newbie question, are the numbers above at the wheels or crank and if at the crank, what is "standard" factor for reducing to actual wheel HP?  I am confused by a lot of the numbers floating around and the common assumptions to reach them.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Note that they are quoted Dynojet sae (corrected), meaning at the wheels on a Dynojet chassis dyno and corrected for environmental conditions to the sae standards.
  • john23 likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

I believe that the 94/97 numbers posted are 2016 numbers with restrictor plate.  Under current rules (no restrictor plate) the horsepower is increased about 5-6 HP.

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

BlueJay73

BlueJay73

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Car Number:27

Are these numbers with or without a restrictor plate?

Without, I hope!

rayce13

rayce13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:Colorado
  • Car Number:13

Thanks! 

callumhay

callumhay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Region:fl
  • Car Number:35
I've always thought the numbers are with restrictor plate.

Also have understood that having 120 + hp in any car will get you a car that you should be able to be in the front pack of a decent size field and achieve the goal of it being about skill. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the calculation of weight in the 1990-1993 cars does not assume these cars have as much as 120 hp. The high 120 numbers are pro motor getting the last bit out of the engine to make up that last second (s) or fraction of a second to be at the top. Also the hp numbers are going to change from Dyno to Dyno so some understanding of that is important.

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
Numbers are with plate on Jim's dyno. His is a high reader others read low. My personal car has been on many dyno's and I've seen more than a 12hp difference from time to time. My new dynojet reads atleast 2-3 lower than my old dyno. Number are for comparison only
  • trimless and Danica Davison like this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

JRMarchand

JRMarchand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:Western Michigan

Talking to Chris H before the runoffs, we both agreed that Dragos dyno is on the high side for sure,  mine has always been 7-9hp < than Dragos and Chris is seeing 4hp< than Drago.  We all have the same dynojet( 224xlc) but none of our numbers correlate.   Ralph uses the same dyno that I have and our numbers are spot on as we have shared some info over the years. 

One thing is that Drago may or may not have the alignment on the car while on the dyno,   I think he mightve once said to run zero toe and maybe camber straight up and that is how maybe the numbers are higher on his dyno.  

The other factor may be what tires are being used and psi,  I normally run very used R7's @ 40psi but pretty sure numbers would be higher with a passenger threaded tire.  I will do back to back  as good as possible, of dyno with and without alignment and R7 vs a sumitomo (same circumference)

my 96 with fresh bottom and XF head did average 123.5 and 115, but sure as shit did not feel that way at indy. 

Maybe Jim can tell us if he in fact is using a passenger tire with 700 treadwear and no alignment on the dyno, ))       thank you

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
And then we have the Dyno-Pack which mounts to the hubs. Over the years as the software was changed my Dyno-Pack numbers changed on my car. As someone stated earlier, use same dyno and the numbers are for comparison.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
I think the 1.6 needs a little more umph

K. Webb