Photo

Majors @ Hallett Motor Racing Circuit April 9th~10th

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Black flag?

Nufer 12 laps x 1.5 = 18 min plus in and out lap = 22 min out of 25 min???    Drago 5 laps??? He maybe knows and said that's all there is at the moment.

Not really......  I am curious to see how Jesse does as well.

As far as Jesse's qualifying position..... Qualifying has never been the 1.6's issue, so lets see how they race and if we have gotten the 1.6L the little bit of needed love it deserves to be more in line with the 99-05's.  I am confident we have done this without making it an overdog in any way, but I guess only the race results and some more time will tell.

Also curious how Jesse and in someone else's car does. 

With 12 cars in the qualifying group it shouldn't have been hard to have an open/unmolested track.

We shall see.

Justin, lurker, your doing great for 1st timer at Hallett. Comments???

Brian, you watching the 1.6 closely???

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Live T&S only at SCCA site??
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Yes, all I found.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Not sure Jesse's car is ready to be a benchmark, it isn't even his and we have no idea if the engine is fully prepped. I'm hearing it & he are fast enough in corners but maybe giving it up in the straights. But impossible to "know" much of anything from one session.

Where is the 1.6 overdog talk coming from? I know there was some grumbling about our cars in Atlanta but we ran mostly with mid pack cars even in practice and Q. Seems like the fact that we could actually do more than just hold a draft was seen as a big deal. I think it's just been too long since a 1.6 could do that after the first few laps.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Sitting here waiting....
I pulled in after black flag and figured we would not get back out .. Figured best to save the wear and tear on the tires.. Worked out..

Only saw Jesse once all weekend so far on track.. He and the car are very fast in corner as you would expect with a quality driver and a car 165 lbs lighter. It did seem a little soft on power. It is not his car and no idea on where he is on power. But it seemed soft for a 1.6, not soft 99/vvt/1.6 parity soft. But you can't take that at as fact.. One quick moment in one session.
Jesse can clarify.

Btw.. Tech team is here. I guess I should have taken the big motor out after Atlanta :) :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:48
Was around Jesse for a bit and he was driving it well but the car did not seem very fast. Probably not a good indicator of parity, as I have been around faster 1.6L cars under last year's rule.

The track is very challenging and I have been having trouble keeping the car under me and staying consistent. The bumps in the middle of some of the corners are very upsetting, but will have to figure out how to drive around them.

Should be a great race between a few of us, from the way previous sessions looked I strongly believe Jim will run away with it, Matt will come through and should be there in a lap or 2. I haven't seen him on track yet but he may be the only chance to give Drago a run for his money!

Looking forward to it.

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Reading the Live Chat on timing and scoring Matt R. had an off into T 2/3 tires.

Hope team Reynolds get's it squared away.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
There is live video on the SCCA site, below timing.

http://www.scca.com/...sessions/latest
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Video had a huge delay. Jim was uncontested, next three ran close most of the race until something happened late to leave Novak out. Congrats Jim, Justin & Max.
  • Jim Drago likes this

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Tom, sorry, found live video during race.

1 SM 2 Jim Drago          17        0.0        1:28.339      Lap   6   1:28.339     Jim had free space the entire race.   
2 SM 48 Justin Hille       17       -8.206    1:29.001    
3 SM 27 Max Nufer        17     -15.708    1:28.832      
4 SM 03 James York     17      -15.988    1:28.918   
5 SM 77 Jesse Prather  17      -27.236    1:29.124     Lap 11   1:29.124     During this lap Jesse was considerable behind Jame's.

A couple laps previous Jesse had his headlights up.

Of the 27 seconds Jesse was in arrears approx. 10 seconds occurred during lap 12. Not a slam, a fact.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Was a good day for me.. Not so good for others. Kent Carter really hurt his car and I'm sure is pretty sore from a shunt this morning. Matt Reynolds had an issue in qualifying and got into the tires. They got the car fixed, but he broke a diff housing in the race, not sure how. Fortunately he can qualify in the AM and should be right there. Matt was unable to test Friday, not that he needs it here, but always helps.
Novak had some contact with Max, damage to lr and knocked alignment all off. But he should be good to go now. Justin no surprise was up to speed quickly. This is a hard little track, very challenging, very physical and no breathers. Coming here and learning all the little nuisances etc in a weekend is a tall task without help. So for these guys to be up front speaks for their ability. Should be a good race tomorrow.

BTW... I might need to stop making fun of bench for being an old sob :) I covered the combined age of the other two podium drivers by 7 years! Great for our sport and our class, not so good for me :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03
Congrats to Jim as he had everyone comfortably covered. Preparation and hard work shows.

The rest of us ran a little bit back until the contact which created some separation.

Regarding the 1.6, it is nimble and quick but I was able to pass Jesse out of turn 2 using the vvt uphill. But I also did the same to a 99 in qual so ....... He seemed able to hold behind me until for some reason he suddenly dropped from sight.

I need to step up my driving and get the car to handle a bit better for tomorrow.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA